Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would happen if the North got an independence referendum like the Scots?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyanohydrin)
    Northern England? Why? Just another layer of government to be honest?

How would it be devolved? Same way as Scotland, where would it be based?
    Manchester or Liverpool.

Not another layer of govt. There are genuine concerns here in N.England that the London led Govt fails to acknowledge. There is a serious lack of investment.

I would like it to follow the Scottish path tbh.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyanohydrin)
    Scotland doesn't have a national anthem, nor does Britain have an official one either..

There are like seven serious contenders for Scottish national anthem.
    Okay, it's "You Take the High Road"
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    Manchester or Liverpool.

Not another layer of govt. There are genuine concerns here in N.England that the London led Govt fails to acknowledge. There is a serious lack of investment.

I would like it to follow the Scottish path tbh.
    And how would you draw out the borders?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    And how would you draw out the borders?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_England
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought you meant North of England, in which case I would happily follow Scotland out of Westminster rule. Lets face it, Federalisation for England (or at least much greater localisation) isn't happening any time soon and until it does not much is going to change- so I'd rather have out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1tartanarmy)
    Your a Tory. Well that explains everything. No point in arguing with you then. Your political views will ruin this country, or what's left of it. You put a flag up because you like the design? ha-ha what a pathetic stance. I like the design on the swastika but I don't go around with it in my name. Flags are not there to be pretty, they exist to represent a nation or group of people.

That is like saying you are a conservative because they are the colour blue. What a joke of an excuse for having the Malta flag up.

Face it man your all over the place. Your a Tory, like Malta and apparently a self proclaimed scot yet you have a clear St Georges cross.

Stop deliberately trying to be different for attention and make your mind up on where you stand on matters.

EDIT: to add insult to injury your name is LIB. I mean seriously. Surely that does no stand for the Liberal Democrats. Your a tory with LIB in your name? seriously you lose all credibility with your constant side switching.

Not sure if this will mean anything to you, and I am far from Conservative, but Scotland was very much a Conservative stronghold until the 1970's.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi, im scottish but quite a lot of my family come from ireland
    i dont think that either of us should become independent
    have you seen the state south irelands in?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Call me old fashioned, but when I hear someone mentioning the North I usually think of where I come from...rather than northern ireland.
    This is what I was thinking too lol. Just think what the battle over where to draw the border would be like. London would say "Right anywhere north of Watford can GTFO" and Leicester would be like "Noo How are we up north? Past Stoke-on-Trent is up north. Then there would be the war between Leeds and Manchester over where the new capital should be (down south Birmingham loses miserably to London)
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wave)
    This is what I was thinking too lol. Just think what the battle over where to draw the border would be like. London would say "Right anywhere north of Watford can GTFO" and Leicester would be like "Noo How are we up north? Past Stoke-on-Trent is up north. Then there would be the war between Leeds and Manchester over where the new capital should be (down south Birmingham loses miserably to London)
    I've had this discussion with one of my housemates in great length. I go to university in Lancaster, but somehow after me the most northern person is from Wiltshire, so I get a hell of a lot of 'banter'!
    I decided that Liverpool should be the capital of the north as it's a nicer place. Though obviously manchester is larger and a greater capacity to be a capital.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I've had this discussion with one of my housemates in great length. I go to university in Lancaster, but somehow after me the most northern person is from Wiltshire, so I get a hell of a lot of 'banter'!
    I decided that Liverpool should be the capital of the north as it's a nicer place. Though obviously manchester is larger and a greater capacity to be a capital.
    Manchester already has the nickname 'Capital of the North'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The capital of the North should be York. I sure as hell wouldn't give it to Manchester!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    York has a much larger historical merit for being classed as the Northern capital. :yep:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Some Northern Irish politicians sparodically raise a stink about that. They want Team GB renamed Team UK to better reflect Norther Ireland's contribution.
    we don't compete as the UK though at the olympics, we compete as Great Britain and Northern Ireland (although the latter is often ignored and we're simply referred to as Great Britain)

I think Team GBaNI has a ring to it though, especially if you say it as "Gih Banny"
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    we don't compete as the UK though at the olympics, we compete as Great Britain and Northern Ireland (although the latter is often ignored and we're simply referred to as Great Britain)

I think Team GBaNI has a ring to it though, especially if you say it as "Gih Banny"
    No, our actually Olympic team is called Team Great Britain.
    At the World and European athletics champs we compete as GB & NI, but at the Olympics it's just Great Britain, no Northern Ireland. Hence why they are kicking up the fuss and rightly so.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    One of my mate's a nationalist, but a northern Ireland supporter, to him, the idea of united Ireland is stupid, but he still wants to cut ties with the UK, he wants an independent northern ireland, is this a strange view?
    I don't think it's a "strange" view, but a minority view for sure.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O'Donovan)
    I don't think it's a "strange" view, but a minority view for sure.
    ^ This.

I'm not sure whether an independent Northern Ireland would be economically viable?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aek-94)
    ^ This.

I'm not sure whether an independent Northern Ireland would be economically viable?
    Viable I'd say, economically superior to as we are now? I don't think so

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 5, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.