Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The only only child out of my friends

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really? I didn't think it was that uncommon. I have quite a few friends who are only children. Hmmm. I have two siblings though, they're a pain in my ass the majority of them time, you're not missing much. At least you get to choose which DVDs you watch in the evening. I do love them I suppose, especially when they lend me their stuff. Nah, I wouldn't wish to be an only child, even though my brother and sister drive me up the wall. But a couple of my close friends are only children.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i'm an only child as well in my group. It was always weird when everyone used to go on about their siblings. It'd make me feel like I have no one else. The other thing which is weird all my cousins and all have brothers or sisters I'm the only only child in the family.
    I kind of like and hate being a only child in some ways , I don't mind so much more anymore.
    I'm not spoilt at all either. My best friend is also a only child too .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a fair few friends who are only children and two of my house mates now are only children too. I miss that bond with siblings have but I hated all the stuff about being spoiled urghh. Like when I got a gameboy it was 'OMG you're soooo spoiled it's not fair' but then when their parents buy each of them their own gameboy it's fine. Or being threatened with the promise of older siblings beating me up. Ahhh primary school was fun.

(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Erm, I'm not sure you should turn someone down just for being an only child :erm:. Why not just make sure you have plenty of friends that can act like your extended family? You also have your own cousins who could be like uncles and aunties to your kids?
    Yeah, I guess it depends on who I meet, and how much I want to be with them.
    Thanks, they are good ways of getting round it.

(Original post by Gales)
    . My fear is though that I'll be lonely when I'm really old, and all my family members have died and I have no siblings to share the last moments of my life with. Horrible thoughs, but yeah, that's my only concern!
    Yes I think about that, especially with having older parents, I worry my children won't have grandparents.

(Original post by Mysteriouschic)
    It'd make me feel like I have no one else. The other thing which is weird all my cousins and all have brothers or sisters I'm the only only child in the family.
    Thats how I feel too. And 1 out of my 12 cousins is an only child but I think he's fine with it.

Thanks for sharing everyone, it's a good insight.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Know it's hard OP, but you have to have perspective. I'd wager I'm suffering much worse things than you in life and so are many people. Just focus on the relationships you have got. One day you can choose the joy of having kids and make it so they're not only, whilst learning to enjoy the benefits that there are. Prioritise other relationships. Like I say, I've got a sibling but there is no closeness or support there, nothing much in common. It's the lack of other relationships that are fulfilling that I've felt pain over. We all have a cross to bear.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes actually, answering all these posts makes me think that actually they probably don't think I'm spoilt, I'm just feeling guilty about how lucky I am whilst feeling down about not having siblings, as all my cousins and family living far away and all my friends have siblings of a similar age and are really close to them.
    Well at least you hopefully wont be too paranoid that everyone is thinking that now . Personally I don't think people should feel guilty for how they feel but for how they act. You wish you had siblings and there's nothing wrong with that just like there's nothing wrong with me often wishing I didn't. What would be wrong and should make a person feel guilty is if I killed my sibling so that I didn't have any or if you killed all of your friends siblings out of jealousy or raped your dad so you could have a half sibling. Obviously those are the most extreme actions that you could feel guilty about but I think they make what I was trying to say clear.

(Original post by Chillaxer)
    Know it's hard OP, but you have to have perspective. I'd wager I'm suffering much worse things than you in life and so are many people.
    Yeah I know :/ i just wanted to kind out how other people felt

(Original post by curtis871)
    Well at least you hopefully wont be too paranoid that everyone is thinking that now . Personally I don't think people should feel guilty for how they feel but for how they act. You wish you had siblings and there's nothing wrong with that just like there's nothing wrong with me often wishing I didn't. What would be wrong and should make a person feel guilty is if I killed my sibling so that I didn't have any or if you killed all of your friends siblings out of jealousy or raped your dad so you could have a half sibling. Obviously those are the most extreme actions that you could feel guilty about but I think they make what I was trying to say clear.
    Yeah its making me feel better and yes I see your point haha.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    :erm: Sometimes I do wish I was an only child...or sometimes I do wish it was just 2 of us...

Anyway don't worry about being an only child in the group. It's not really a big deal. Also forget the stereotype of spoiled child, just ignore it, that's just silly and trivial. Don't forget, there are generations of only children in China, people don't put around that stereotype on them do they?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am an only child with a friendship group who aren't.

Any conversations about the subject make me uncomfortable, after being the only only child in my geography class whilst studying the One Child Policy and talking about 'Little Emperors' and I was singled out and asked how it felt to be an only child etc. :confused:

My parents never planned to only have one child and I have always prayed for siblings.

I know I'm lucky and blessed in everything my parents do for me, but I'm worried my friends see me as spoilt.

Anyone else in a situation like mine?
    Only child as well. Most of my younger days I spent it apart from my parents either with grandparents or with an aunt. Same goes for my parents who in their early years also spent most of their time apart from each other due to work commitments. They always wanted another child but it just never happened for obvious reasons and by the time my mum was 30 she didn't want any more kids.

Growing up years, many of my closest friends had siblings and I was the odd one out. Spoilt? Well I suppose I was but you could be spoilt by your parents and still have loads of close friends, just watch your behaviour and you should be fine
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm an only child, and so is my mum! So for that reason I think it's great because we both know how each other feels. I think I only know one other person with no brothers or sisters and he's definitely not spoilt, neither am I, and neither of us care

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 27, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.