The Student Room Group

Liverpool Hope vs Chester University for Psychology

Hi :smile:

I'm trying to make a decision between going to Liverpool Hope University and Chester University to Study Psychology n I'm looking for opinions of current students/anyone else who is making this decision!

I'd really like to live in Liverpool as the city looks amazing.. But I'm struggling to find anything positive about Hope! (or to find many reviews at all, in fact!) I've been looking on here and Whatuni.com and it seems to have really poor reviews for any subject apart from teaching-related courses.. Apparently in 2009 (i think) it was bottom of the league table and in 2010 it withheld its results! :/ scary if thats true.

Also I've repeatedly read that the student union is pretty useless (closing at 10 every night, no events on). And it seems to be big on christianity.. talking about 'spiritual education', girls and boys not living on the same floor in halls.. If anyone is at Hope, is it a really religous atmosphere?

And if anyone is studying psychology please tell me how you're finding it! :smile:

Same for chester, if anyone if studying psychology and can tell me anything that would be really great!

I've already dropped out of uni once and mustn't make the wrong choice again :confused:

Thankyoooou!

Katy
Reply 1
Im at Liverpool John Moores uni!! Liverpool is an amazing place and i love it.
i dont know anything about the psychology course. However, when anyone ever talks about hope uni its not in a good way! everyone seems to class it as a bit of a joke! i just assumed it was a standard uni! but other students definitley do not give a good impression of hope uni and from what i can tell look down on students who study there!
Chester, for the love of ****e choose Chester. There's a reason Hope withhold their results... they have none. If these are your only options choose Chester but please look around, don't limit yourself. Aim a bit higher.
Original post by maltesers12
Hi :smile:

I'm trying to make a decision between going to Liverpool Hope University and Chester University to Study Psychology n I'm looking for opinions of current students/anyone else who is making this decision!

I'd really like to live in Liverpool as the city looks amazing.. But I'm struggling to find anything positive about Hope! (or to find many reviews at all, in fact!) I've been looking on here and Whatuni.com and it seems to have really poor reviews for any subject apart from teaching-related courses.. Apparently in 2009 (i think) it was bottom of the league table and in 2010 it withheld its results! :/ scary if thats true.

Also I've repeatedly read that the student union is pretty useless (closing at 10 every night, no events on). And it seems to be big on christianity.. talking about 'spiritual education', girls and boys not living on the same floor in halls.. If anyone is at Hope, is it a really religous atmosphere?

And if anyone is studying psychology please tell me how you're finding it! :smile:

Same for chester, if anyone if studying psychology and can tell me anything that would be really great!

I've already dropped out of uni once and mustn't make the wrong choice again :confused:

Thankyoooou!

Katy

Universities sometimes withhold their results if it was only a small cohort or if their cohort was below a certain number of students its withheld automatically by the student satisfaction survey as it isn't an overly definitive opinion of a course if only a few people have an opinion on it. Similarly some universities don't participate in the surveys at all as they don't like the way the results are created as they feel its misleading (some of the top universities don't partake for this reason) so all the results are is a snap shot and I wouldn't worry too much that your course hasn't been listed.

In terms of Hope itself, I went to an open day with a friend about 6 years ago and thought it was nice. To be honest, if the SU does close early it's not like you're at a campus university far away from a city - you can easily go out in Liverpool which is what I believe students do there, then in terms of accommodation, some of it was boy/girl only floors but I don't think that is a major issue either. You're only living in university accommodation for first year anyway and I'll tell you know whether you have a good time with the people you live with is not dependent on whether they're a guy or a girl. It's dependent on whether they're considerate, clean and good people to live with and I'll tell you from 7 years of house sharing with guys and girls that I've lived with some damn awful girls and some damn awful boys. I've also lived with great girls and great guys, its totally down to the person rather than whether they happen to be male or female. Prospective students read far too much into whether accommodation is single or mixed. At the end of the day your flatmates don't have to be your best friends but you do want them to be decent people to live with.... some of my best friends have been awful flatmates.

Have you visited Liverpool Hope and Chester? I'd advise you to visit again as one would expect that you'll prefer one university over the other due to the locations.
Reply 4
Original post by ruby-jo
Im at Liverpool John Moores uni!! Liverpool is an amazing place and i love it.
i dont know anything about the psychology course. However, when anyone ever talks about hope uni its not in a good way! everyone seems to class it as a bit of a joke! i just assumed it was a standard uni! but other students definitley do not give a good impression of hope uni and from what i can tell look down on students who study there!

yeahhh thats kind of the impression i got :/ I'm going to an open day on 21st march so I'll try and make my mind up for myself, but its not sounding promising lol
aw i know liverpool sounds such an awesome place to live! I'm trying to convince myself to like the uni just so i can live there! I'm kicking myself for not appplying to John Moores >.< but the grade requirements were much higher so i didnt think i'd get in..
Reply 5
o and the only other option is Teeside, which seems like a really good uni.. but dunno if i could cope with 3 years of middlesbrough :/

Quick Reply

Latest