Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What is scarier?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Which is scarier
    That we are alone
    80.00%
    That we are not alone
    20.00%

• 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    The fact that we are not alone in the universe

or

The fact that we are alone?

Please, no conspiracy theorists. No there is/isn't a God debate, this thread has nothing to do with it.

if you believe in God, then what is to say we are his only creation?

if you don't what is to say the big bang didn't create other life in planets elsewhere?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    The fact that we are not alone in the universe

or

The fact that we are alone?

*Idea
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Battenberg)
    *Idea
    no, fact.

There is no inbetween here, therefore one is correct.

As I am not saying 'which one is more realistic' I don't need to stress that we do not know the answer.

But as one of those is correct and I am asking both at the same time I can get away with saying it is fact. Because I am 50% right, which is better than saying 'idea' for both which is 100% wrong.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If it's the idea that "something" is out there then that could be scarier than being alone but if we know what said something is then it depends on that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally i would find the idea of us being alone in the universe the scariest of the 2.

It would highlight just how delicate we and this whole planets eco system really is, a random rock hurtling through space and colliding with us could wipe out all live in existence? That's a pretty scary thought, like having all your eggs in one basket.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you like cooking, then you should become a chef
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    *Idea
    Surely it's got to be one or the other? And therefore it would be a fact.

I would say that we are alone is scarier. I find the possibility of other life exciting!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Given the hundreds of billions of galaxies in an ever expanding universe chances are there is other life besides us. It's highly unlikely there isn't. So I don't feel I can possibly choose between the two. However I'm not "scared" that there is life on other planets.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, seeing as I was traumatized as a child by "War of the Worlds"...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't really find either scary. I just don't think its likely that we are alone due to the size of the universe. So find the idea of other live actually quite exciting.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think if we were alone, that would be the scary thing.

But we almost certainly are not
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by runningfromlions)

I would say that we are alone is scarier. I find the possibility of other life exciting!

no, fact.

As I am not saying 'which one is more realistic' I don't need to stress that we do not know the answer.

But as one of those is correct and I am asking both at the same time I can get away with saying it is fact. Because I am 50% right, which is better than saying 'idea' for both which is 100% wrong.

*Idea
    You're all wrong.
    If you look at the way it is used, fact is fine. But not for the reasons that any of you have put. If you wrote idea in it's place the exact same message would be conveyed, and that too would be fine.

"It is a idea that if I let go of this ball it will fall"
    "It is fact that if I let go of this ball it will fall".

There is a relevant difference, you are saying in the second sentence that it is true.

But you're only saying one of those things is true in the OP, and that's a necessary binary, saying it is an idea doesn't contradict nor change that. And if anything,, shows the same thing, that logically, one of those ideas must be a fact. The question is which is scarier.

It's a ridiculous question though, it is plausible that there are beings out there beyond our current imagination/comprehension. There is no way of finding out the probability of such a topic.

Therefore everything will have to be based on speculation.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    neither are scary
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    we are alone - is scarier by miles kilometres ....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    no, fact.

(Original post by runningfromlions)

Until one option is proven neither option is fact, they are both ideas at this point. Yes, one of them must be true but until we know which one technically neither is, it's similar to the whole Schrodinger's cat thing. It's like suggesting any one religion (or atheism) is fact, it just isn't. Currently both of the options given are nothing more than ideas or beliefs, both are unsubstantiated by any evidence therefore neither are fact.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Until one option is proven neither option is fact, they are both ideas at this point. Yes, one of them must be true but until we know which one technically neither is, it's similar to the whole Schrodinger's cat thing. It's like suggesting any one religion (or atheism) is fact, it just isn't. Currently both of the options given are nothing more than ideas or beliefs, both are unsubstantiated by any evidence therefore neither are fact.
    Given the context and manner they've presented the word the argument I put forward a couple of minutes ago (you've probably not seen it yet) still stands. Simply put, the language has evolved enough for it to be used in that fashion. Of course it can be used in different manners, but it is not as simple as it's original definition.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    As I said, its either one or the other, there is no inbetween, therefore in two differnet sentences I can say it is fact. Because one of them is.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    You're all wrong.
    If you look at the way it is used, fact is fine. But not for the reasons that any of you have put. If you wrote idea in it's place the exact same message would be conveyed, and that too would be fine.

"It is a idea that if I let go of this ball it will fall"
    "It is fact that if I let go of this ball it will fall".

There is a relevant difference, you are saying in the second sentence that it is true.

But you're only saying one of those things is true in the OP, and that's a necessary binary, saying it is an idea doesn't contradict nor change that. And if anything,, shows the same thing, that logically, one of those ideas must be a fact. The question is which is scarier.

It's a ridiculous question though, it is plausible that there are beings out there beyond our current imagination/comprehension. There is no way of finding out the probability of such a topic.

Therefore everything will have to be based on speculation.
    See my last post. Also the example you gave is not equatable, years of experience teach us that gravity causes objects to fall so yes, if you let go of a ball it will indeed fall. Technically it may still not be fact (i.e. the black swan problem) however we count it as fact. However the claim that there is or isn't any life other than ours out there has an incredible lack of evidence due to our restrictions in how much of the universe we can observe. Perhaps one day we will know for sure and then it will be fact however until then it is only a theory or an idea or a belief or whatever you want to call it. Either way it is not fact.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    As I said, its either one or the other, there is no inbetween, therefore in two differnet sentences I can say it is fact. Because one of them is.
    You stated both as fact, they are contradictory and cannot both be true. If you wanted to include the word fact in your post then you would have had to change the question's meaning completely. Just because one of them must be true does not mean you are free to call both options fact, they just aren't!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Given the context and manner they've presented the word the argument I put forward a couple of minutes ago (you've probably not seen it yet) still stands. Simply put, the language has evolved enough for it to be used in that fashion. Of course it can be used in different manners, but it is not as simple as it's original definition.
    one is fact and one is not.

Therefore you can say in separate sentences that it is fact.

This is because one of them is true. So by pretending that one is fact, then pretending the other is fact, it makes it seems more real. Obviously it is impossible for both to be fact

You stated both as fact, they are contradictory and cannot both be true. If you wanted to include the word fact in your post then you would have had to change the question's meaning completely. Just because one of them must be true does not mean you are free to call both options fact, they just aren't!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 4, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.