The Student Room Group

Could I/Should I Transfer University After My Foundation Year If I Do Well?

This will sound stupid, but...

I have just started the second semester of my foundation year at university. My time so far has been okay, but I wouldn't say I enjoy studying at Loughborough university nor do I hate it its just an awkward gray region between. Im a bit cautious about studying physics in the main degree and do not really have high hopes for it. Any interactions with the physics department I have had so far have left me disappointed. On a foundation year we spend time in all the departments of science and physics stands out as the least helpful and generally, the least in every aspect. I've considered changing course to another department but I doubt I'd really enjoy it as much as I enjoy learning about physics.

This has caused me to keep contemplating changing university to one which has a better physics department. And now Its much worse after my results came in.

My results have just come in and I did much better than expected. I needed 70% in my mathematics and physics and an average of 60% module for progression into the first year of physics (which you would need AAB for).

Having come from a poor A-level background with bad grades (The link in my signature shows how poor they were). I worked really hard this year and its paid off as I got 98% in my mathematics exam, 93% in my physics exam, 95% in my physics lab's, 89% in my engineering exam and so on. I only didnt do well in chemistry as I had not done this since GCSE so I got 75% in that module, overall I have an average just below 90%. I know you might point out that its only a foundation year but I didn't enter with A grades, not even close. Some students did enter with A grades and I still seem to score higher.

I really want to study somewhere that has a better physics and astrophysics department but Loughborough doesn't feel like the best place for me to study and reach my best potential.

Is it possible to transfer to an even better university from a foundation year given that your results are good? If so how would I go out about it? I was thinking of applying in the next cycle so I do my first year here then transfer to year 2 or year 1 depending on what the universities say.

Also, is there a limit to how good of a university I can apply to with my results on a foundation?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is a bit of a gray area for most people. I'm not sure any university would take you or if your even allowed to do that. Best case scenario would be that they take you into their foundation course and you start all over again.
Original post by Azland
This is a bit of a gray area for most people. I'm not sure any university would take you or if your even allowed to do that. Best case scenario would be that they take you into their foundation course and you start all over again.

I wouldnt really want to do a foundation course when I've already done one and far surpassed expectations.
Reply 3
You can change unis, although you might have more options if you transfer straight after your foundation year rather than completing the first year of the course. You really don't have to start again, so ignore that ridiculous suggestion!
Original post by Juno
You can change unis, although you might have more options if you transfer straight after your foundation year rather than completing the first year of the course. You really don't have to start again, so ignore that ridiculous suggestion!

But its so late in the year already, surely many places would be taken and I'd have to redo UCAS on short notice.
Reply 5
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
But its so late in the year already, surely many places would be taken and I'd have to redo UCAS on short notice.

To transfer after first year you need to find a course that's similar to the one you're studying, which might be impossible. Even once you've found a course they have to have spaces, which means someone had to drop out during the first year - and some courses like smaller 2nd year groups so hope a few will drop out anyway.

If you apply through UCAS now then you have the choice of anywhere listed in Extra, and Clearing is also available later for if you need it. Not all unis will accept your foundation course but you'll still have more choice than if you leave it.
Original post by Juno
To transfer after first year you need to find a course that's similar to the one you're studying, which might be impossible. Even once you've found a course they have to have spaces, which means someone had to drop out during the first year - and some courses like smaller 2nd year groups so hope a few will drop out anyway.

If you apply through UCAS now then you have the choice of anywhere listed in Extra, and Clearing is also available later for if you need it. Not all unis will accept your foundation course but you'll still have more choice than if you leave it.

I was thinking of applying while next year so I can still get offers from universities while studying my first year, and if I decide that I actually like Loughborough I can stay. If not I can go to a university that will accept me and probably start the first year there instead of going into the second.

Many of the very good universities are full this year, but then again I dont know if its even worth considering applying to those with my results.
Reply 7
I was thinking of applying while next year so I can still get offers from universities while studying my first year, and if I decide that I actually like Loughborough I can stay. If not I can go to a university that will accept me and probably start the first year there instead of going into the second.

Many of the very good universities are full this year, but then again I dont know if its even worth considering applying to those with my results.

If you're happy with the possibility of not getting what you want and staying - or starting again from year 1 - then your plan would work. But if you're desperate to get away it would be better to apply now.

When you are sure what you want, it would be a good idea to email unis outlining your background before sending your application. You need to do this for transferring to second year anyway but even if you're considering applying to first year it would be a good idea.
Original post by Juno
If you're happy with the possibility of not getting what you want and staying - or starting again from year 1 - then your plan would work. But if you're desperate to get away it would be better to apply now.

When you are sure what you want, it would be a good idea to email unis outlining your background before sending your application. You need to do this for transferring to second year anyway but even if you're considering applying to first year it would be a good idea.

I'd rather take a long route and be truly happy and content with where I study.

Im guessing some universities might request a recommendation from my lecturers or a reference of some sort.
Email the universities directly and ask rather than just applying via UCAS.
Original post by matt2k8
Email the universities directly and ask rather than just applying via UCAS.

Should I put much emphasis on how my results were as a reason of wanting to move?
Reply 11
Should I put much emphasis on how my results were as a reason of wanting to move?

Would not do that If I was you. In my opinion that just makes you sound arrogant. Rather try and explain that the course isnt what you thought it was or why their course appeals more to you. Try to leave out the fact that you only want to leave because you got better grades and exceeded expectations.
(edited 12 years ago)

Mention it, but don't make it the main focus of the email.
Original post by matt2k8
Mention it, but don't make it the main focus of the email.

Currently its mostly grades that I've obtained at university, a bit about fact im two academic staff-student councils. Other than that all I can really include is that fact I dont like the look of studying physics at loughborough/dont feel much for the department.
Reply 14
Since it's your first email you don't want to make it too long. You seem to be trying to make it like a personal statement, but that comes later in the process.
abc, 123... :tongue:

I read your other post - well done on your progress! Going from Us to your current level of performance is very admirable :smile:
Original post by Juno
Since it's your first email you don't want to make it too long. You seem to be trying to make it like a personal statement, but that comes later in the process.

Okay, I'll keep it much shorter and enquire to see if they will consider transfers from a foundation year providing that the student has done extremely well on the course.
Reply 17
Okay, I'll keep it much shorter and enquire to see if they will consider transfers from a foundation year providing that the student has done extremely well on the course.

Yup, imagine you're an admissions tutor with a hell of a lot to do already. What would you want to receive in an email from someone you don't know and hasn't already applied?
Reply 18
If it were me, I would ring UCAS and ask them first.. they had a lot of helpful advice when my course was discontinued after the january deadline! but also, get in touch with the uni you wish to transfer to and ask them whether they would consider you... I would personally phone them so you can have a conversation, but I guess its your choice.
I'll be talking to my programme tutor within the next few days.

Quick Reply