The Student Room Group

My Distance Learning College - anyone used them?

Scroll to see replies

my experience with this college, i joined in May with a wowcher voucher for hlta course, its now august and i still cant log on, im being patient today but if no luck tomorrow will be onto trading standards as im sitting here waiting for online help, have sent numerous emails all with no luck. i feel im wasting my time
Reply 21
My Distance Learning College? Save your money, save your time, and save yourself a heck of a headache! KEEP AWAY! I was signed up to a Level 3 TA course by my employer along with another 10 or so colleagues. The story is long and painful, but to cut it short:
1. They don't reply to questions - they might as well set up an FAQ section and be done with it. Good luck with having any useful replies from your tutor.
2. Assignment feedback is appalling: re-used comments that are either general or irrelevant - not to mention in dire need of proofreading.
3. You will find yourself up to your neck in homework that you should not be doing. When you ask staff "Are you sure I should be handling this many outcomes as written assignments?" you will be simply told to get on with it, even though they haven't a clue of what you are handling. I wrote around 35,000 words for this course. No one in the other end has read a single one.
4. They will keep you in the dark if there are any problems, such as being dropped by reputable examination boards and setting up one of their own to "approve" them. Would they dare not approve themselves? Duh.
5. For every time they say they will get back to you, expect to go back and ask them another 10 times till you give up in exasperation. Pretty effective in deterring and discouraging students from asking anything at all.
6. Despite many promises to issue me and my colleagues with certificates, we have yet to see them materialise.
7. Their online set-up forum for students is rampant with complaints, frustration, disappointment, yet no one cares to reply or read for that matter.
They are also giving my employer the silent treat, but I guess I did my part - I warned my head from the beginning to get their money back in good time. No chance of that now.
(edited 9 years ago)
But the advantage of using the DLC and mdlc and ICS is that you get tuition and someone you call for advice and with ICS the assignments is including in the price. (A level English)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Hi have u started your teaching assistant course. how r u findin it?
You can't learn Counselling from a distance, you need face to face learning, with the opportunity to 'practice' counselling in small groups with fellow students. You also need the emotional support of being in a group, as being a student Counsellor can be an emotional journey. It's expensive to do this at a local college, but certainly the best option in the long run, because you unfortunately won't be taken seriously unless you have an appropriate qualification.
Reply 25
I bought a teaching assistant course and a couple of weeks later got diagnosed with Breast cancer. I contacted the company and asked for a refund as i was in no fit state, either mentally or physically to study. They refused to refund and told me to advertise my course and sell it on to someone else. I didn't have the energy to advertise so therefore lost my money. Very inconsiderate and unhelpful people. Especially given the extreme circumstances. Stacey.
Original post by iloveteddy14
But the advantage of using the DLC and mdlc and ICS is that you get tuition and someone you call for advice and with ICS the assignments is including in the price. (A level English)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are no longer answering their phones, rarely answer their emails and are slowly disappearing off the face of the earth! As I said before - do not use this company, they will take your money and run!
Rubbish ! Never recommend them !
Original post by Buzztbee19
My distance learning college ltd are no longer accredited by ncfe. This has impacted on many courses, but in particular the supporting teaching and learning course, which I have completed but have nothing to show for it. I have spent nearly a year completing assignment and compiling my evidence folder only to find out that I've got a big fat nothing in return,
Please do not use this company if you need an accredited course as they will take your money then leave you high and dry without helping. I have been fobbed off by them, left hanging since April and still they refuse to admit there is a problem. They have had many occasions where they could have been honest with me, yet they chose not to and led me to believe my certificate was forthcoming.
They are quick to take your money, not so quick to help their students. They are most definitely not "a college that cares!"

Hi did you get any resolution to this issue? Just wondering who I am best to contact?

Thanks!
Reply 29
Really really need help and advice on hlta course I have almost completed but now seem to be locked out!!! So frustrating and upsetting. Cant contact anyone.. Does anyone have the right advice? :frown: mel
I've been on hold to them for 35 minutes and counting now....They have basically cancelled my course and I've only been doing it for 6 months!! I was enjoying the course up until now, the tutor was great and quick at marking my assignments. The college don't seem to be answering their phone, their emails or tickets...not really sure what to do now :frown:
Original post by HarleyQuinn34
I've been on hold to them for 35 minutes and counting now....They have basically cancelled my course and I've only been doing it for 6 months!! I was enjoying the course up until now, the tutor was great and quick at marking my assignments. The college don't seem to be answering their phone, their emails or tickets...not really sure what to do now :frown:

Do a charge back via your card provider to get your money back, thats the best thing to do.
Hi all this is the response I got from the college...

Hi Tereza

If you have purchased the course at a discounted price, this would have been sold with 6 months tutor support, so the system has been amended to reflect this. You may pay to extend the time on your course. Hope this helps and do let us know if you have any further queries.
Kind regards
Kim

The course was sold as a 12 month course with no mention of having to pay more money for a tutor half way through...A scam to try and pay their debts maybe??? I have sent a reply, but as of yet it has not been answered, surprise surprise
Original post by Mephestic
Do a charge back via your card provider to get your money back, thats the best thing to do.

Hi, thanks but I didn't use a credit card, so I don't think I can do this :frown:
There is a facebook page set up for students who are having the same problems as you. If you search under mydistance learning college ncfe problems you should find it. There are many people having the same problems it seems
Reply 35
if you got it at a discount check the T&Cs of where you bought it. mine does actually say 6 months, although to be honest i didnt look when i bought it.

I had a look at that facebook page too - most if it is just people talking out their ****

Im a student with them and been affected by the certificate issue, but people on that page are giving out information thats completely incorrect and all its doing is irritating people and misinforming them. no point in even trying to correct them though cos they've all made there minds up.
Original post by Pixu
if you got it at a discount check the T&Cs of where you bought it. mine does actually say 6 months, although to be honest i didnt look when i bought it.

I had a look at that facebook page too - most if it is just people talking out their ****

Im a student with them and been affected by the certificate issue, but people on that page are giving out information thats completely incorrect and all its doing is irritating people and misinforming them. no point in even trying to correct them though cos they've all made there minds up.

Im sure they will appreciate any help you can give, it seems like they are struggling to find answers so are all trying to help each other - a bit like on this post. If you know that someone is being misinformed, surely it's better to speak up and give out correct information, rather than keep quiet and talk about it afterwards?
I would question the wisdom of trying to study a practical course with a paper provider.

IMO you need to go to a college where you can have face-to-face interaction with tutors, do role-plays and placements with people already working in the field.

Most employers value experience of a subject, even if only in voluntary/unpaid situation rather than a string of paper qualifications that can be gained by anyone sitting down for a few hours with Mr Google.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending