The Student Room Group

Cambridge Human, Social and Political Sciences (HSPS) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Make sure you re-read you essays and have more to say on what you already said. They will push you to your limits and see how you react.

My d thought she did poorly and botched her chances because they pushed so hard, but she also enjoyed herself and simply was herself. She got in.
What is the test at interview?
Original post by x-CheekyPeeky-x

There is great stuff on youtube about this, Oxvlog. Not about Cam, but useful.
I'm an HSPS student too. CheekyPeeky gives good advice, but personally I wasn't asked anything about hot news stories. There is no set formula. Just explore what genuinely interests you. I mentioned an interest in Marx in my PS and ended up being grilled on Capital 1 in both interviews.
Original post by x-CheekyPeeky-x

I had to sit an essay-based exam prior to the interviews. My exam response was then a point of discussion in the second interview.
Reply 765
Original post by Earthly
I'm an HSPS student too. CheekyPeeky gives good advice, but personally I wasn't asked anything about hot news stories. There is no set formula. Just explore what genuinely interests you. I mentioned an interest in Marx in my PS and ended up being grilled on Capital 1 in both interviews.

Capital 1?
Original post by comptroller
For what it's worth, I applied last year and was accepted by Wolfson College to study HSPS. I decided to take a gap year, so I will start the course in 2015.

I can try to answer any questions anyone may have regarding the application process.

Did interview discussion mainly focus on areas you'd indicated an interest for in your personal statement/SAQ or concepts that you weren't as familiar with?
I'm trying to do interview prep atm but I don't know if it's a waste of time as they could just ask questions about things that I have no idea about...
Original post by Renee8100
Did interview discussion mainly focus on areas you'd indicated an interest for in your personal statement/SAQ or concepts that you weren't as familiar with?
I'm trying to do interview prep atm but I don't know if it's a waste of time as they could just ask questions about things that I have no idea about...

For my d, it was both. Know what you wrote in your essays, for sure, and have more to say on it. But remember, it isn't factual - they want to see how you think on your feet, how you reason, how you cope with new concepts.
Original post by misslipstickbbe
Hello! I have received an interview for HSPS, I was wondering what sort of questions they are going to ask me? Thanks :smile:

I think the only predictable questions they will ask are along the lines of why are you choosing this course.

The rest of the questions will be determined by what you say. The interviewers expected me to lead the discussion and bring up topics that I showed interest in.

Once I brought up a topic they would ask me progressively difficult questions. The questions did not necessarily have a right or wrong answer; it seems they wanted to see how I would think and formulate points.

Original post by Renee8100

I had two interviews. I am currently referring to the HSPS subject interview:

There were no questions regarding my personal statement. This will probably be discussed in your college interview.

I told the interviewers which topics/debates I was interested in. I think this is one of the most important points, you should just come right out with it and state what your interests are. This is what your preparation should be on. Be very prepared to talk about debates, who the main scholars are, perhaps state what your favourite academic journal is.

In my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes is to bring up a topic that you don't know much about. I foolishly brought up a topic, because it was the first thing that came to mind, and they asked a ton of follow-up questions that I totally did badly on (Although I got an 8 out of 10 from the department leader interviewer). Yes they score you, and you may or may not be able to get your score from your college after January).

Most of my questions were on one piece of written work that I submitted. I also stated this subject area was particularly interesting to me.

Some good advice (I think!):

Think out-loud.

Do not rush; think about what they are saying for a few seconds.

Control the interview: Explicitly bring up topics that you want to talk about. Direct the interview to work in your favour.*

Prepare for standard basic questions; why this course, which topics interest you.

Prepare for academic questions; know the major debates in your chosen field, and I mean really know them.

Have balanced and well-reasoned views.

Engage critically with *anything* they bring up.

*Of course, be sensible and balanced if you take this approach.

They will not ask questions that have a specific answer. It is more about the debate. Surely you will be able to debate any topic, it will almost certainly be a general question; eg. capital punishment, drug policy ... <insert social or political issue here>. Just remember to not bring up anything that you are not comfortable discussing in-depth. They may press you on it.

In my opinion, looking at the interviewers' notes, it seems they are judging how well you will learn in the Cambridge system. Many of the comments written about my interview performance are along the lines of how 'teachable' I may or not be.

They also made notes on the following:

Ability to articulate.

Level of intelligence.

Suitability for self-study.

Ability to think critically.

Level of enthusiasm.

Hit all of those and you'll probably hit one of the following grade descriptors:
8 out of 10: "Strong - Worth an offer"
7 out of 10: "Probably worth an offer."

If you are thinking "interview grade descriptors, what the hell are those!?", then download the Winter Pool Interview document thing (cannot remember the official name) from Cambridge.

They are not trying to fool you or demonstrate your lack of knowledge. Although you will almost certainly feel a fool once you walk out of the door. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
What an excellent set of observations, Comp.
Original post by comptroller
I think the only predictable questions they will ask are along the lines of why are you choosing this course.

The rest of the questions will be determined by what you say. The interviewers expected me to lead the discussion and bring up topics that I showed interest in.

Once I brought up a topic they would ask me progressively difficult questions. The questions did not necessarily have a right or wrong answer; it seems they wanted to see how I would think and formulate points.

I had two interviews. I am currently referring to the HSPS subject interview:

There were no questions regarding my personal statement. This will probably be discussed in your college interview.

I told the interviewers which topics/debates I was interested in. I think this is one of the most important points, you should just come right out with it and state what your interests are. This is what your preparation should be on. Be very prepared to talk about debates, who the main scholars are, perhaps state what your favourite academic journal is.

In my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes is to bring up a topic that you don't know much about. I foolishly brought up a topic, because it was the first thing that came to mind, and they asked a ton of follow-up questions that I totally did badly on (Although I got an 8 out of 10 from the department leader interviewer). Yes they score you, and you may or may not be able to get your score from your college after January).

Most of my questions were on one piece of written work that I submitted. I also stated this subject area was particularly interesting to me.

Some good advice (I think!):

Think out-loud.

Do not rush; think about what they are saying for a few seconds.

Control the interview: Explicitly bring up topics that you want to talk about. Direct the interview to work in your favour.*

Prepare for standard basic questions; why this course, which topics interest you.

Prepare for academic questions; know the major debates in your chosen field, and I mean really know them.

Have balanced and well-reasoned views.

Engage critically with *anything* they bring up.

*Of course, be sensible and balanced if you take this approach.

They will not ask questions that have a specific answer. It is more about the debate. Surely you will be able to debate any topic, it will almost certainly be a general question; eg. capital punishment, drug policy ... <insert social or political issue here>. Just remember to not bring up anything that you are not comfortable discussing in-depth. They may press you on it.

In my opinion, looking at the interviewers' notes, it seems they are judging how well you will learn in the Cambridge system. Many of the comments written about my interview performance are along the lines of how 'teachable' I may or not be.

They also made notes on the following:

Ability to articulate.

Level of intelligence.

Suitability for self-study.

Ability to think critically.

Level of enthusiasm.

Hit all of those and you'll probably hit one of the following grade descriptors:
8 out of 10: "Strong - Worth an offer"
7 out of 10: "Probably worth an offer."

If you are thinking "interview grade descriptors, what the hell are those!?", then download the Winter Pool Interview document thing (cannot remember the official name) from Cambridge.

They are not trying to fool you or demonstrate your lack of knowledge. Although you will almost certainly feel a fool once you walk out of the door. :smile:

Thank you so much, this is by far the most helpful advice anyone has given me!
Reply 772
Hi !
Anybody know what to expect from the written exam ? :smile:
Original post by Mayanne
Hi !
Anybody know what to expect from the written exam ? :smile:

I think it might just be essay questions on topics related to the course, I'm worried I won't be able to answer any question though.
Original post by capslock97
thank you. this really helped.

I hope you post here how it went. As they say at Cam, they want to filter you in, not out.
Reply 775
Original post by megan97
I think it might just be essay questions on topics related to the course, I'm worried I won't be able to answer any question though.

Oh. That is worrying ! But how will they know what we've already studied ? :confused:
Oh gosh, wish I'd seen this thread sooner!
Hi, I'm applying for HSPS (interested in Social Anth) at Newnham... I have my interview on Friday and I'm bricking it :colondollar:
Original post by JumbleJumble
I think you may have misunderstood? The HSPS course is replacing the arch/anth course, so it's not an eithe or option. I may have misunderstod you though :confused:

You can do virtually exactly the same course within HSPS though, there's just the option of other things too. :smile:

You can choose which social sci disciplines you want and they do try to balance the various disciplines for admissions, so a bio anth person will not compete with a poli sci person for a place. They keep separate statistics on them.

There is flexibility in the mix you can choose as well. My d started arch/anth and in 2nd year is going exclusively arch, but also arabic. She also almost took a history/philosophy of science course.
Hi, I have an interview next week and I've been informed that I'll be given an unseen passage to study half an hour before my first interview. I know people applying for English/History at some colleges have to do something similar.

Does anyone have any tips for how to approach this? Will there be questions accompanying the passage or should I just highlight and make brief notes on key ideas etc.?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending