Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did gaming advance too fast?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They make games to sell in order to make money, so the gaming industry has always been commercial. Some games now are better than some of the older games.
    Xbox live is probably the best thing ever for the Xbox, and PSN is the best thing ever for the PlayStation franchise.

However, I do agree that some games have gone easier and that most older games were better. I think the entertainment has gone out of gaming. When I was like 5 I loved playing Crash Bandicoot, Burnout, Mad Dash Racing and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. These games did have a little bit of violence in (in Ty you could hit frilled lizards with your boomerang), however in the past 5 years some games have gone a bit too far.

CoD, I wish I never got this game. This game has made a ton of money, but most people who play it are complete dicks. It is really boring and to be honest it doesn't provide any sort of entertainment.

That's the thing about most games now too much violence and adult themes (in GTA you can buy strippers and have sex with them). Also they focus on the graphics too much, I would rather have Crash Bandicoot with graphics from the late 90s, rather than good graphics and an overall **** game.

They focus on all those things, but they do not focus on the entertainment (which is a shame). But if good graphics, **** game and too much violence sells they will keep making those kinds of games.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Yes, more games are being made now.

But are there fewer great games being released? I'm not too sure about that.
    When we're looking back at the great titles of 'yesteryear' it's easy to fall prey to a selective bias because we're looking at the great titles from the past 30 years of gaming. In ten years time, I think it's pretty likely that there will be as many (if not more) titles that stand the test of time from today as do from ten or twenty years ago.
    Series will stand the test of time. But some stand alone games that PS3 have churned out just for the sake of adding to the collection will add nothing at all.

Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Not XIII) , Fallout and Elder Scrolls and the Assassins Creed Series. Easily. Uncharted most likely. But the list compared to the amount of memorable games from the last generation is unfortunately. Short.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Yes, more games are being made now.

But are there fewer great games being released? I'm not too sure about that.
    When we're looking back at the great titles of 'yesteryear' it's easy to fall prey to a selective bias because we're looking at the great titles from the past 30 years of gaming. In ten years time, I think it's pretty likely that there will be as many (if not more) titles that stand the test of time from today as do from ten or twenty years ago.
    I agree that there are plenty of great games still being released but there hard to find amidst all the other crap that turns out to be awful. Some games are easy to avoid as they're clearly not designed for fans of traditional shooters/adventure games (think Singstar, Truth or Lies, Trivial Pursuit etc.) but there has also been massive disappointments like BRINK, Deus Ex, Rage (which were expected to be great but turned out average at best). There's plenty of games even worse than these - Lair anyone...?

I see you're point about only the best games being remembered though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Consoles are still years behind the tech of PCs, therefore resulting in ****ty ports of games to the PC. Skyrim ring any bells?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lixe)
    Series will stand the test of time. But some stand alone games that PS3 have churned out just for the sake of adding to the collection will add nothing at all.

Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Not XIII) , Fallout and Elder Scrolls and the Assassins Creed Series. Easily. Uncharted most likely. But the list compared to the amount of memorable games from the last generation is unfortunately. Short.
    I doubt FFXIII-2 or MGS4 will be remembered in twenty years time in the same breath as Deus Ex and GTA: SA/VC (whichever takes your fancy). But I'm game to be proven wrong. (I'd be more likely to put my money on Red Dead, Portal 2, Mass Effect, Braid or COD4).

(Original post by PatrickD)
    I agree that there are plenty of great games still being released but there hard to find amidst all the other crap that turns out to be awful. Some games are easy to avoid as they're clearly not designed for fans of traditional shooters/adventure games (think Singstar, Truth or Lies, Trivial Pursuit etc.) but there has also been massive disappointments like BRINK, Deus Ex, Rage (which were expected to be great but turned out average at best). There's plenty of games even worse than these - Lair anyone...?
    Crap games are nothing new. There have always been piles and piles of crap crap games.

Fortunately, they get forgotten pretty sharpish.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatrickD)

I see you're point about only the best games being remembered though.
    I majorly enjoyed Deus Ex actually, It just didn't have that WOW factor that will make it remembered like the first one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    I doubt FFXIII-2 or MGS4 will be remembered in twenty years time in the same breath as Deus Ex and GTA: SA/VC (whichever takes your fancy). But I'm game to be proven wrong. (I'd be more likely to put my money on Red Dead, Portal 2, Mass Effect, Braid or COD4).
    All final fantasy's are remembered and honestly I think it will be remembered as the one that saved the series from a downhill spiral.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lixe)
    I majorly enjoyed Deus Ex actually, It just didn't have that WOW factor that will make it remembered like the first one.
    Heh, I was referring to the first one.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lixe)
    Skyrim is one of those exceptions simply because Bethesda aren't mainly focused on graphics but the game-play element. Which makes them a unique company to date.

If Skyrim was released anytime over 4 Years ago my mind would of been blown.
    Really? Cause Oblivion was released in 2006. Morrowind long before that. Skyrim is nothing new.

Also, Nintendo have been batting the old "gameplay over graphics" side for a lot longer than any other computer gaming company in existence.

(Original post by Eternal*)
    Elder Scroll games such as skyrim are on the right track and are sticking to their guns for proper hard core gamers.

But that doesnt mean I dont love my Just Dance games on the wii, they're really useful and show a modern view on gaming.
    Anyone who talks about "proper hard core gamers" doesn't really seem to know enough about gaming and I think it's opinions like that which are killing gaming more than anything else. Apparently there are no fans anymore, just "casual gamers" (who are looked on with scorn by the "rightful, hardcore gamers") and the "hardcore gamers" (who are considered "geeks" and "nerds" by everyone else) which the companies apparently have to cater for. If the cater to the former, they're selling out and ruining the industry. If they cater to the latter, they're making the games too hard, too niche, etc. **** me, gamers were hipsters before it was cool. :sigh: The big problem this causes is that companies go for what sells to the most people, so you get a **** tonne of clone FPS games, etc.

If you really want to talk about a company sticking to their guns, talking about Squeenix and their Dragon Quest division or Nintendo, but you probably consider Nintendo below "proper hard core gamers."
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    No offense, but I get so fed up of this opinion.

There are a few points that need to be made. First of all, 10 years ago gaming was still a new thing. Day/Night cycles, regrowing environments, environmental destruction etc were all amazing, new features. The fact is, as computing power has gone on, such new developments are fewer, and futher between. I mean, we still see them, but they are more around graphics, radient tracking and so on. They are not as dramatic or game changing, just because, there aren;t so many left to be made.

Add that to the fact that old games have nostalgia and 'Wow' factor on their side. As you've got older you've got more cynical, you've expected more and been harder to impress.

Gaming has not got worse. Gaming is always getting better. We've had this sort of thing with films and music before. Who hasn't heard people comment that the latest music is just noise and remixes? That new films have no real plot or feeling and rely on special effects and nudity?

There is a slight point in the fact that gaming has gone mainstream, but that's not a reflection on gaming as a whole. If your entire scope in the world of gaming can be summed up as CoD, Battlefield, Skyrim and Fifa, then you are the problem, not the industry.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Screw getting an Xbox I just play on the SNES
    Super Mario World for the win
    I do like my PS2 though as well.
    Games are kind of predictable these days.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I see where you're coming from, San Andreas was immense for me. But that doesn't mean I disregard the new generation, you can't use controversial games like gta 4 to back your point, that's a marmite game. Don't know about Xbox but I thoroughly enjoyed titles such as uncharted, batman arkham, god of war 3 etc. cod 4 was also the first and last online multiplayer shooter that I went mad over.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Technology is advancing too fast
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    There is a slight point in the fact that gaming has gone mainstream, but that's not a reflection on gaming as a whole.
    I actually think it's gone in a different direction, I think games manufacturers nowadays target their games at the hard core gamers more than they used to. Games are more involved and harder and have a longer learning curve.

Back in the late 1990s/early 2000s the casual gamer could pick up a game play it for a few weeks and then get proficient and enjoy dominating it, which left the hard core gamer frustrated.

Games today take more dedication and absorbtion, the casual gamer is likely to be frustrated and give them up, but they provide more the experience that serious gamers want.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I actually think it's gone in a different direction, I think games manufacturers nowadays target their games at the hard core gamers more than they used to. Games are more involved and harder and have a longer learning curve.

Back in the late 1990s/early 2000s the casual gamer could pick up a game play it for a few weeks and then get proficient and enjoy dominating it, which left the hard core gamer frustrated.

Games today take more dedication and absorbtion, the casual gamer is likely to be frustrated and give them up, but they provide more the experience that serious gamers want.
    Ahh, that's exactly what I mean! 10 years ago, the person that stayed in a few nights a week to play video games was a nerd, a weirdo. Now it is an accepted norm, meaning that games like CoD, Fifa and Madden are made over and over. The ones that appeal to the mass market of teenage boys. Whereas, casual games are actually a smaller market now. Still a market of course, this is what the DS and Wii rely on, but smaller none the less.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh back to the old days of Banjo-Kazooie on the N64. So good I downloaded it from the Xbox 360 Arcade. The amazing thing is that it only takes up 48 MB . Now if you want to install games onto the hard-drive you're talking 6GB minimum.

I don't get the same "Wow" feeling that I used to get when I was younger and I'd just got a new game, but I think I appreciate the changes that get put in more than I did, if that makes any sense. I do still get nostalgia thinking about games like CoD4, or even Burnout Paradise, as I used to have some great times playing them with friends.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be great if the games had the quality of the 6th generation era mixed with today's top quality technology. Basically if the game isn't a 1st person shooter, it won't be popular.

I have very fond memories of 3rd person platform/adventure games on my PS2. Today's games just don't interest me. Unless Nintendo does yet another masterpiece. Embarrassed to say, Skylanders is the best game of this era for me. xD
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Really? Cause Oblivion was released in 2006. Morrowind long before that. Skyrim is nothing new.

Also, Nintendo have been batting the old "gameplay over graphics" side for a lot longer than any other computer gaming company in existence.

Anyone who talks about "proper hard core gamers" doesn't really seem to know enough about gaming and I think it's opinions like that which are killing gaming more than anything else. Apparently there are no fans anymore, just "casual gamers" (who are looked on with scorn by the "rightful, hardcore gamers") and the "hardcore gamers" (who are considered "geeks" and "nerds" by everyone else) which the companies apparently have to cater for. If the cater to the former, they're selling out and ruining the industry. If they cater to the latter, they're making the games too hard, too niche, etc. **** me, gamers were hipsters before it was cool. :sigh: The big problem this causes is that companies go for what sells to the most people, so you get a **** tonne of clone FPS games, etc.

If you really want to talk about a company sticking to their guns, talking about Squeenix and their Dragon Quest division or Nintendo, but you probably consider Nintendo below "proper hard core gamers."
    Ugh. I hate how if a game is not about killing/shooting you're considered a casual gamer. :/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lixe)
    The days where you picked up a game because you wanted to. Not to get the last trophy / achievement off of it and then never play it again!
    Sadly I have fallen into that trap and I hate myself for it
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barghest)
    Ugh. I hate how if a game is not about killing/shooting you're considered a casual gamer. :/
    Only by idiots.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 2, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.