The Student Room Group

Engineering Science or Engineering Design?

Hey guys, I want to firm one of these but I'm not sure which route to take:

Nottingham - Design Engineering
Southampton - Electromechanical Engineering

I wanted to go down the more creative side of engineering so I thought design would be best for me. However, I'm not sure whether I'd be stupid to turn down Soton offer since I hear it has a great reputation in engineering.

I'm also not sure about the job prospects of design being as flexible as the electromech? Is design engineering even a 'proper' engineering degree?

But If I chose electromech, I don't want to just end up as another 'wrench monkey' after my degree and not be able to do any design?

Any advice would be helpful thanks.
Original post by Flofflum
Hey guys, I want to firm one of these but I'm not sure which route to take:

Nottingham - Design Engineering
Southampton - Electromechanical Engineering

I wanted to go down the more creative side of engineering so I thought design would be best for me. However, I'm not sure whether I'd be stupid to turn down Soton offer since I hear it has a great reputation in engineering.

I'm also not sure about the job prospects of design being as flexible as the electromech? Is design engineering even a 'proper' engineering degree?

But If I chose electromech, I don't want to just end up as another 'wrench monkey' after my degree and not be able to do any design?

Any advice would be helpful thanks.

The job prospects are the same as long as they're both accredited, so choose whichever course, university and location appeals to you the most.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
The job prospects are the same as long as they're both accredited, so choose whichever course, university and location appeals to you the most.

Thats reassuring to hear :smile: do you work with any design engineers yourself?
Original post by Flofflum
Thats reassuring to hear :smile: do you work with any design engineers yourself?

No. I haven't graduated yet but I have done a placement, although with design engineers as the place I was at didn't do any design. Although quite a few of my coursemates did placements at equipment manufacturers and were design engineers and worked with design engineers and, like I said, the only thing that mattered was that the degree was accredited.

Quick Reply

Latest