The Student Room Group

economics vs engineering degree for jobs?

for a levels, im doing maths, further maths, chemistry, and then physics/economics, although i dont know which one to choose out of physics or economics. i want to to either econ or engineering at uni, but if i do engineering, can i still get into econ jobs like investment banking or acturial sciences, or if i do economics at uni can i do an engineering job. also, is an economics degree at uni worth more than doing an mba or acca? thanks
Reply 1
can you get into economics jobs with science? yes, especially with maths and physics. not so much with engineering.

can you get into engineering with economics? no.
Reply 2
Engineering all the way. Economics is after all a pretty useless degree imo (Economics student myself).
Reply 3
You should consider not doing chemistry then you can do both economics and physics this would give you an extra year to decide.

You can get an economics based job with engineering (with extra training) but it will be very difficult if not impossible to get into engineering with an economics degree.
investment banking isn't an "econ job".

Engineering over economics any day.
Reply 5
i dont want to not do chemistry, partly because i like the subject, and partly because it would allow me to go into chemical engineering etc..
Reply 6
Are there engineers that work in banking? Hundreds.
Are there economists that work in engineering? None.

Engineering will be the best option for you if you are unsure. A great degree to have - due to the content and difficulty of the course you are flexible in career choice.
Reply 7
also, i live in london, and dont really want to move far away, and people say that job opportunities in and around london are much greater for finance jobs than engineering jobs, and that finance jobs have higher earning potential, but are you all saying that i could still go into it with an engineering degree provided that i do some background econ reading?
Reply 8
Engineering, it seems like they can branch into loads of different things
economics, I can't believe people are discounting the value of hte knowledge picked up during the degree that much.

(even if hte actual taught material is useless (it isn't but let's pretend for a second), econ students are far more likely to read the "useful" stuff and understand it)
Original post by oyyoyy
also, i live in london, and dont really want to move far away, and people say that job opportunities in and around london are much greater for finance jobs than engineering jobs, and that finance jobs have higher earning potential, but are you all saying that i could still go into it with an engineering degree provided that i do some background econ reading?

Engineering gives you more choices than an economics degree. Most of the UK engineering industry is based outside of London. CS might be a better option for you.
Reply 11
Original post by i_hate_teeth
Engineering gives you more choices than an economics degree. Most of the UK engineering industry is based outside of London. CS might be a better option for you.

what is this mysterious CS?
Reply 12
Computer Science
Reply 13
ahh i see, but i dont plan on doing computing alevel though lol [but i kinda know about logic gates/programming languages like html..]
Reply 14
Original post by oyyoyy
ahh i see, but i dont plan on doing computing alevel though lol [but i kinda know about logic gates/programming languages like html..]

You don't need to do computing at a level do be able to do it at degree similar to economics you sound like you know some stuff already anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending