Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Best way to show your research of a firm?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

What do you think is the best way to show research about the firm on the interview? I have a lot of information but not sure how to put it all together. Any ideas/advice?

Thanks guys!

Erus35.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well, you can only really show it if they ask you the common question "Why do you want to work in <blah>?"

In which case, you can frame a short answer that answers specifically that and integrates current knowledge. E.g. <blah> is leading cutting edge <blahness>, such as with <blah> <blahrifically>

Otherwise, if you have case studies, etc, you can demonstrate business knowledge through the exercise itself. Probably wouldn't hurt to look up quick financials if relevant (share price, etc) and recent press releases.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kind of had the other side of this discussion on the VS thread.

My question would be - why would you want to demonstrate your research without being prompted?

At interview, if you are asked a question about the firm or its practices, or the legal services market in general - I get that's where you show you know a bit about the firm.

But otherwise, are you sure that open ended questions are not your opportunity to talk about you, not them? They know all about themselves already.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! Yeah, you right, you have to answer the questions they ask. But I also was wondering what areas you would look into because I found few recent deals, their awards, expertise in practice areas, offices etc.

I am not sure if it is enough and if I should know the ins and outs of the deals I will mention because usually detail is scarce on their websites.

One firm asked their PEP (Equity per partner) and I was like 'what?' xD. But now I find all that info too, even their managing partner name.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 27, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.