Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anti-depressant dosages

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014

Hi, I'm currently on fluoxetine 40mg (have been on meds for two years) and stuff is not very good at the minute. I was wondering what the chances of increasing my meds would be, and I was wondering what kinda dosages other young people had and their experiences.

I know medication isn't the only answer but I am also recoeving other therapies etc.

Also I know this is quite blunt but i'd really appreciate anyone else's status with meds, I only know a couple of other people on them and they're in mid-twenties.

Many thanks
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Am on fluoxotine now but haven't had a med change. Have done 20 - 10 - 20 - 40 on citalopram though and noticed the changes immediately (only in side effects).

Chances of your GP changing your dose would depend on if fluoxotine at current dosage is working at all, previous history with medication etc.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, I'm currently on fluoxetine 40mg (have been on meds for two years) and stuff is not very good at the minute. I was wondering what the chances of increasing my meds would be, and I was wondering what kinda dosages other young people had and their experiences.

I know medication isn't the only answer but I am also recoeving other therapies etc.

Also I know this is quite blunt but i'd really appreciate anyone else's status with meds, I only know a couple of other people on them and they're in mid-twenties.

Many thanks
    age 23. was on antidepressants from 2009-2011. fluoxetine, citalopram, mirtazipine, venlafaxine.

it's fairly easy to get your meds increased. just tell your gp they arent working as well as they used to, then BAM! you get a new prescription. simple.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just been prescribed 20mg Fluoxetine, changing from 40mg Citalopram, which I have been on for 2 years.
    What are people's experiences of Fluoxetine? The only major side effect I had when I started on Citalopram was sleep disturbance, plus I've had basically no sex drive for the whole 2 years...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have been on most anti depressant.
    I am bipolar so most anti Ds make me manic at very low dose if I take them on their own.
    I only took 20mg of flouoxatine and I was manic for like 2 months. Not good. So if I had went higher I prob would have been hospitalised.

However I am now on 150mg of sertriline, which is a SSRI like flouoxatine. I am on Lamotrogine along side this medication to stop me going manic.
    I increased the sertriline 50-100-150. I was really depressed when I go put on it so it took a higher dose to pull me out of the depression.

I will soon been moving back down to 50mg of sertriline and trying to maintain of that for 2-ish years.

I am sure if your meds are not working anymore you GP will inceprease them but it also depends on how your feeling. If you are just having a bad week the I would rethink a med increase. How long have you been feeling low?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm on 10mg of escitalopram and have been for about 9 months (I'm 18 btw) , but I was on 20mg for a few months and had really bad side effects so my doctor descreased my dose.
    I've also been on 10mg of fliuoxatine but i found this unhelpful. I'm currently looking to try a different anti depressant though because i'm having no effect from the esctialopram
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I was diagnosed with clinical depression, I began on 20mg Citalopram. It was awful. It drained me completely, made me tired, gave me awful migraines etc. When I told the doctor about the adverse effects, he didn't listen and moved me onto 30mg which, unsurprisingly, made me feel even worse.

Moving onto fluoxetine really couldn't come sooner. It just seemed so right for me, and I got on so well with it. My depression cleared up in a matter of weeks when I was on it, and that was only after switching to a mere 10mg!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been on 2 anti-depressants.

I was on Lustral (Sertraline) at 20mg but I found that made me a little bit hyperactive (almost a little manic). It wasn't for me so my GP switched my meds.

I'm now on Seroxat (Paroxetine) 20mg. I was on 10mg but found that wasn't working so my GP increased my dosage and I found that really helped.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i've been on fluoxetine for 4 months - starting on 10mg and then increasing to 20mg after a few weeks. even though the doctors day that 20mg is the 'standard dose' and 10mg has no effect, i've found that my mood and eating habits are so much better on it. on 20mg i was extremely anxious, shaking all the time, more suicidal and had paranoia and mild psychosis. i've decreased my dose back to 10mg now and it's so much better for me - not sure why, perhaps because i've had no vaccinations and taken very little medication in my life so my body's not used to it or something.. just goes to show that the doctors don't always know what's best (my psychiatrist advised me to stay on 20mg even after i attempted suicide)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's helpful to know that not many other people seem to have been on 40mg fluox., the dr didn't sound like he'd be willing to increase it you see.
    I've been having a 'bad patch' for about two months now and it is massively getting in the way.
    Thanks for your responses x

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 4, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.