The Student Room Group

you are not dyslexic!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LoftyRin
It DOES seem like there are a very large amount of people with dyslexia. I'm not dyslexic and have fairly good English skills, but a friend of mine 'apparantly' has it. She was not only in top set English and Maths back when we were in high school, but is now studying English Languages at university. And yet she still complains when she gets less than a 2-1, that 'it's not fair because she has dyslexia, and the lexturers should make more allowances and be less biased.' Note that nothing was said when she got her 1sts or her free laptop... I realise this is an extreme case, and that a lot of people really do need and use the extra time, but it's definitely happening more and more...

Someone who's dyslexic can still get very good grades :sigh:

sounds like you're just jealous of your "friend".
Reply 201
Original post by MrHappy_J
Someone who's dyslexic can still get very good grades :sigh:

sounds like you're just jealous of your "friend".

Oh I am! :smile: I don't have much of a reason to be, since I got pretty good grades myself, but what i'm a little narked off at is that she barely studied at all. Didn't turn up to lessons, almost never handed homework in and during revision cramming time, was always out partying until three in the morning. I know some people are naturally clever and barely need to revise and that's kudos to them, but claiming dylexia and complaining day in and day out about it on top of that? Somewhat taking the piss...
Oh I am! :smile: I don't have much of a reason to be, since I got pretty good grades myself, but what i'm a little narked off at is that she barely studied at all. Didn't turn up to lessons, almost never handed homework in and during revision cramming time, was always out partying until three in the morning. I know some people are naturally clever and barely need to revise and that's kudos to them, but claiming dylexia and complaining day in and day out about it on top of that? Somewhat taking the piss...

Oh well it's their call I guess. I used to have a friend who never turned up to lessons but still got better grades than me, it annoyed me to no end because her concentration and revision techniques were so much better than mine (I'm dyslexic). All I can say is just focus on your grades, if they are good then there's no reason to be jealous really. Just subtly refuse if she ever asks to borrow your notes lol. Some people just have the ability to get good grades doing the minimal amount of work.
(edited 12 years ago)
It DOES seem like there are a very large amount of people with dyslexia. I'm not dyslexic and have fairly good English skills, but a friend of mine 'apparantly' has it. She was not only in top set English and Maths back when we were in high school, but is now studying English Languages at university. And yet she still complains when she gets less than a 2-1, that 'it's not fair because she has dyslexia, and the lexturers should make more allowances and be less biased.' Note that nothing was said when she got her 1sts or her free laptop... I realise this is an extreme case, and that a lot of people really do need and use the extra time, but it's definitely happening more and more...

Original post by MrHappy_J
Oh well it's their call I guess. I used to have a friend who never turned up to lessons but still got better grades than me, it annoyed me to no end because her concentration and revision techniques were so much better than mine (I'm dyslexic). All I can say is just focus on your grades, if they are good then there's no reason to be jealous really. Just subtly refuse if she ever asks to borrow your notes lol. Some people just have the ability to get good grades doing the minimal amount of work.

Right, this does not make sense whatsoever. If some people who truly have dyslexia need far longer to do something than others who do not have dyslexia because of a processing issue, why then are you, MrHappy_J supporting the fact that this girl may have dyslexia even when it seems from her friend that she doesn't use her time to go to class, do homework or even study, but rather go and party. I can't really imagine that it can be easy for a person with dyslexia to cram and get good marks. I have a friend who busts her butt to even get a pass and she works really hard. Furthermore, I have a sister in law at University and in her first year when her computer was so infected with viruses because of all the crap she downloaded from limewire she all of a sudden developed dyslexia and was given a laptop by the university. I have heard her talk to her mother about asking the University for another computer because the one the university gave her is now running slowly. She's a nursing student. Through primary school and grammar school she was able to get really good marks. She also claims to have food intolerances and then when she comes home to visit she eats the things she says she's intolerant to in order to 'build up a tolerance for it'. I have heard her say (after she heard from her mother about a woman she knows getting support from the govt for her pets because of a disability or condition) that maybe she could get support for her pets (rodents) for their food etc... She's also constantly blaming things which have nothing to do with dyslexia on her dyslexia. What's even more sickening is that I'm sure there are students who truly need the help and support, and I strongly believe that my sister in law is taking away from those people in need.

There is no doubt in my mind that there are people who have dyslexia. I have a cousin and a friend who actually have it. But considering that my SIL seems to be so benefit minded, I am starting to believe that there are cunning and manipulative people who, instead of using their time to study, decide to work the system. It's disgusting, dishonest, and poor reflection on today's current society. Furthermore, considering she is training to be a nurse and claiming to have dyslexia, I would be very concerned about that, when nurses are in charge of things like administering medications and such. Would hospitals seriously have someone walking behind her every step of the way to make sure she doesn't under or over dose a patient? Not that they would need to because she doesn't have dyslexia, but what sort of a liability is it for hospitals who employ nurses who have dyslexia? Where is the risk assessment in all of this?
In our school if you say you are dyslexic they make you try and read a passage with a teacher and if you can't you get more time - easy as that. There must be like 1 in 6 in my year who abuse it.
Original post by that_girl_
Right, this does not make sense whatsoever. If some people who truly have dyslexia need far longer to do something than others who do not have dyslexia because of a processing issue, why then are you, MrHappy_J supporting the fact that this girl may have dyslexia even when it seems from her friend that she doesn't use her time to go to class, do homework or even study, but rather go and party. I can't really imagine that it can be easy for a person with dyslexia to cram and get good marks. I have a friend who busts her butt to even get a pass and she works really hard. Furthermore, I have a sister in law at University and in her first year when her computer was so infected with viruses because of all the crap she downloaded from limewire she all of a sudden developed dyslexia and was given a laptop by the university. I have heard her talk to her mother about asking the University for another computer because the one the university gave her is now running slowly. She's a nursing student. Through primary school and grammar school she was able to get really good marks. She also claims to have food intolerances and then when she comes home to visit she eats the things she says she's intolerant to in order to 'build up a tolerance for it'. I have heard her say (after she heard from her mother about a woman she knows getting support from the govt for her pets because of a disability or condition) that maybe she could get support for her pets (rodents) for their food etc... She's also constantly blaming things which have nothing to do with dyslexia on her dyslexia. What's even more sickening is that I'm sure there are students who truly need the help and support, and I strongly believe that my sister in law is taking away from those people in need.

There is no doubt in my mind that there are people who have dyslexia. I have a cousin and a friend who actually have it. But considering that my SIL seems to be so benefit minded, I am starting to believe that there are cunning and manipulative people who, instead of using their time to study, decide to work the system. It's disgusting, dishonest, and poor reflection on today's current society. Furthermore, considering she is training to be a nurse and claiming to have dyslexia, I would be very concerned about that, when nurses are in charge of things like administering medications and such. Would hospitals seriously have someone walking behind her every step of the way to make sure she doesn't under or over dose a patient? Not that they would need to because she doesn't have dyslexia, but what sort of a liability is it for hospitals who employ nurses who have dyslexia? Where is the risk assessment in all of this?

What are you talking about? I'm the one that has dyslexia, not her.
Reply 206
Plenty of fakers, without question
Original post by ufo2012
Plenty of fakers, without question

Where's your evidence?
Original post by SciFiRory
Dyscalcula or Dyscalculus are basically where you can't understand maths/numbers I believe, something along those lines anyway, my sister has it!

also :five: for another dyspraxic person! we should make a TSR society :biggrin: or we could have a TSR Learning Difficulties Soc, would be a good idea I think for people to talk to other people with similar issues :smile:

How does one go about being tested for dyscalcula - it doesn't really matter that much because I finished with maths a couple of years ago, but it'd be interesting to see if that's the reason why I am so atrocious at maths. It wasn't for lack of trying - I really did try - but I ended up having to copy off my friends all the time in class so that I wasn't sent down into lower sets because I really couldn't keep up, so in the end I got frustrated and stopped trying - and some of the other signs of it (difficulty differentiating between left and right, difficulty with maps, unable to grasp even simple mathematical concepts etc) are really ringing true for me.
I have dyscalculia - I was tested while at uni. The report actually explains a lot!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by madders94
How does one go about being tested for dyscalcula - it doesn't really matter that much because I finished with maths a couple of years ago, but it'd be interesting to see if that's the reason why I am so atrocious at maths. It wasn't for lack of trying - I really did try - but I ended up having to copy off my friends all the time in class so that I wasn't sent down into lower sets because I really couldn't keep up, so in the end I got frustrated and stopped trying - and some of the other signs of it (difficulty differentiating between left and right, difficulty with maps, unable to grasp even simple mathematical concepts etc) are really ringing true for me.

im not sure how you get tested, you could try asking your GP to refer you I spose?

normally they test you at school if they think you might have it.

sounds like it might be worth trying to find out if you can get tested from what you say anyway, mm, sorry I cant be of more help!
Original post by madders94

Are you in education at the moment?
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
But what are dyslexic people supposed to do in the real world, when they won't be given extra time to check for spelling errors ect? I think it is good that they get extra support in school ect, but will they get extra support when they get a job ect? If not, then they are kind of left on their own, because sure they have proven if they were not dyslexic, this is the grade they are capable of achieving, but what next in the real world? I'm genuinely curious, are you given extra support or something? If not, it seems like a crappy system.

In the real world of work it can be quite easy to cope with some forms of dyslexia. Get a job that you have an aptitude for, that allows you to come in early or work late. Apart from learning techniques to overcome your dyslexia, the long hours work culture helps to mask the fact that some tasks take you longer than others. This is balanced by some of your inherent coping skills enabling you to complete other tasks quicker.

In exams depending on the nature of your learning difficulty, you get extra time. Extra time is of no benefit if you haven't studied or have zero ability in the subject. On a 2 hour hour exam an additional 15 minutes were given, this amounted to 7.5 minutes per compulsary question. If you achieved the pass mark no further consideration was made. If you were boardline pass/fail, at the discretion of the exam board, the learning difficulty could be considered.

The further you go in education, you realise that one size does not fit all. Learning difficulties can be exaberbated by different teaching styles and overcome by others. That is why you will see people excelling in one subject and being a disaster in another. Once you know what your learning style is and what you are good at, it can make all the difference. In terms of qualifications you could be a complete wash out (and there can be may reasons for that, not just dyslexia), but find something you good at and you can be a world class expert.
(edited 11 years ago)
I meen I am nawt dislecsix, but laik, it reely frustraights me wen peeple thinc they can fayk a disoordar.
Original post by OU Student
Are you in education at the moment?

In between college and university. There's no great need for it really because my uni course has nothing to do with numbers whatsoever, it was more out of interest to see if that's why I've always, despite my best efforts, fallen way behind in maths and struggled with some of the other things too.
Reply 215
I think the whole idea of giving people extra time is unfair anyway. How do they justify giving people extra time? So they can reach their full potential. What about if I need another half an hour to get the maximum mark I could on the paper even when I don't have any conditions? Exams are supposed to test your ability so you can discriminate between people dependent on their grades, if you manipulate the time and help given to some of the candidates then you destroy the results and the test scores are no longer an accurate relative reflection of someone's ability.
Original post by Tateco
I think the whole idea of giving people extra time is unfair anyway. How do they justify giving people extra time? So they can reach their full potential. What about if I need another half an hour to get the maximum mark I could on the paper even when I don't have any conditions? Exams are supposed to test your ability so you can discriminate between people dependent on their grades, if you manipulate the time and help given to some of the candidates then you destroy the results and the test scores are no longer an accurate relative reflection of someone's ability.

There's a huge difference. Some people with Dyslexia have problems processing information. Giving you extra time when you have no condition is giving you an unfair advantage.
Original post by see-are
I recently heard that at one of the top independent schools in the UK they get almost every pupil tested for dyslexia or other that may gain him/her extra time in exams. I heard that out of my friends year (approx 150) about forty get extra time - this is a school which has a formidable entrance exam and gets top results. I go to my local comp and in my year of 220 there are about 20 boys with extra time..

I simply do not believe that so many people at this high achieving school have these disorders.

It is a trend that I have noticed when discussing this story with other people - it now seems that more and more people are being deemed as dyslexic or dyspraxic or adhd etc etc

So, do you think they are faking it? Or the tests are too lenient? Or there just are more dyslexic people nowadays? How can you explain my story - it makes me so angry!

I wouldn't have thought there are more people with learning difficulties but there are more people diagnosed nowadays My dad had a few of the same symptoms of dyslexia that I have but he was never diagnosed. The thing is with dyslexia, dypraxia, dyscalculia etc. is that though these people my find a certain subject particularly difficult they can still be consistently highly achieving. My brother has both dyslexia and dyspraxia and I have dyslexia, dyscalculia and ADD but we both passed entrance exams to go to private schools and we both got our English, Maths and Science GCSE's. I did have a problem with teachers who having seen my ed psyche report still disbelieved that I had a problem because I was good at English, but dyslexia covers a huge amount of problems not just those with spelling, reading and writing.

There have got to be some people in this world who are just plain thick and depsite having done them (it was long time ago) I am unsure how the ed psyche tests would be able to separate the ones with learning difficulties from the stupid people.
(edited 11 years ago)
There's a huge difference. Some people with Dyslexia have problems processing information. Giving you extra time when you have no condition is giving you an unfair advantage.

This is right. Two people may have exactly the same ability for a subject but one has dyslexia and may take longer to process the task or question. So you could write exactly the same essay and get the same mark on the same subject but the one with dyslexia would still be processing the title or question while you are scribbling away.
Reply 219

Original post by hippieglitter
This is right. Two people may have exactly the same ability for a subject but one has dyslexia and may take longer to process the task or question. So you could write exactly the same essay and get the same mark on the same subject but the one with dyslexia would still be processing the title or question while you are scribbling away.

But if in real life they are going to take longer to do the same thing as someone with the same ability but not dyslexic surely the person who is going to take longer will get a lesser grade? I know it's not exactly moral and equal opportunities but that's not what exams are for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending