The Student Room Group

What's it like doing a Semester/ year abroad in America?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by BexiG
Yep I totally agree that the experience is what you make it and I have more of a why not? attitude rather than why? lol I'd be interested in experiencing how Film making is taught in another country and learning certain differences.

Are you considering going to a film school in the states? NYU's is a well-known one.. My history teacher actually went there for a year haha
Reply 61
Original post by cricket123
Are you considering going to a film school in the states? NYU's is a well-known one.. My history teacher actually went there for a year haha

Well no, I don't want to go a film-school. I'v already been accepted into 3 out of my 5 choices and still waiting on the decision of the other 2. I will be studying Film here in London, but I know the one I'll probably make my Firm choice has an exchange program with DC and so I would jump at the chance to study a term or longer of my 2nd year in another country.
I'm kind of mad I just found this thread. I'm currently in my second year at the University of Maryland.

I absolutely LOVE this school. For me, it's perfect. The location is great. The campus is located 9 miles from DC, so students often go there for a night out or during the day to chill. Most of the clubs in DC are 18 to get in, 21 to drink, so you'll be fine. Annapolis is also about 30 minutes away (it's a beautiful, historic, waterfront city). Baltimore is 45 minutes away. If you're looking for a school in a populated area I think Maryland is your best choice.

The University has about 35,000 students, of which 25,000 are undergraduates. There's a ton of international students just because we are so close to DC. The school is very diverse and pretty liberal. We also have one of the largest Jewish populations of any school in the country. The school is almost 1/3 Jewish.

As for the social life, it couldn't be better. If you like to party, Maryland is the school for you. Everyone drinks. Sports are huge here, too. Particularly football, basketball, lacrosse, and soccer. We consistently have one of the best soccer and lacrosse teams in the country and games are so fun to go too. I'm just assuming you have an interest in soccer since you're British, but soccer is big here. The games are very well attended and one of the most fun things to do on campus.

The academics are also good. We're consistently ranked as one of the best values in public education in the country. Our engineering, journalism, and business programs are particularly good.

Here's a video of the school, showing some of the campus, the lacrosse game against Duke, and of course the partying (which is the focus of the video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgmRhFV3Orw

Honestly, how could you not want to come here after watching that video? Jk, but seriously, this school is incredible and I highly recommend it to you.

Oh, and I forgot. Our campus if effin' beautiful. We have the longest collegiate mall in the United States. And last not but not least, our alumni do big things. Some famous alumni include Jim Henson, creator of The Muppets (he actually created The Muppets for his major here), Larry David of Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld fame, Sergey Brin (one of the co-founders of Google), the guy who created Under Armour went here, Carly Fiorina (former CEO of Hewlett-Packard), one of the co-founders of Sirius Satellite Radio, and the list goes on and on.

I keep thinking of more reasons why this school is awesome. The DC metropolitan area is the wealthiest and most educated part of the country. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Also, if you're into music, the DC music scene is exploding right now. So many great concerts, venues, and artists are coming out of the DC area.

So, yeah. You should go to MD. PM me if you want more info.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm currently living at home and studying at Queen Mary University in London.

Next year I'm going to New York to spend the academic year at Hunter College.

Really excited at the moment, though its looking rather pricey
Original post by sarah1345
Yeah, I'm ready for the cold, I will have 5 choices to put down, I will probably put 3 Canadian universities down as I'd have more chance of getting in (study abroad is quite competitive). Then I'd have two or threechoices for the US/HK/Australia, maybe Maryland and NJ, I want to be as close to DC/NY as possible, I visited for 5 days in 2009 and loved it! NY was buzzing! DC was more like London but was less populated.

Hey, I spoke to you about this on a previous thread. Are you aware that not all degrees at Manchester have lots of options of uni choice? For my degree I only had three choices, whereas English/Law etc had many more universities to choose from. Not all degrees can do study abroad...

What degree are you actually going to be studying? I can then find out if you will actually be able to go abroad.

EDIT: Just contacted them and they've advised that you email them directly with your degree programme to: [email protected]
They said that the options vary a lot with regards to what semester you may be abroad, what grade average you'd need, etc so it's best to contact them directly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by mailmerge
It's pretty good. There's so much that's different, but you seem particularly interested in the social side...

Chambana is kind of unique because you can get into bars at 19. I'm lucky being 21 already, but it's very strict if you're not. Plenty of drinking still happens at house parties, though. I can't really comment much about Greek life -- you have to commit a lot of time and I don't really see the benefit if you're not there full time.

I found it a bit of a mess having an uncooperative roommate and living with freshmen taking 100-level courses. I haven't gotten to know my neighbours that well -- a lot of of them are from in-state and and lack of a kitchen area makes a big difference.

Instead, it all seems to revolve around the big events like holidays (Halloween, Mardi Gras, Unoffical St Patrick's Day) and sports (tailgating football games). There's a silly number of clubs and societies at UIUC just given how many students there are here.

The accent thing is just a novelty... kind of like being rich or famous, I guess? It gives you some extra leeway with assignments and stuff, too, but the kinds of places that offer exchanges are fairly cosmopolitan already.

Hey, I'm looking at doing a year abroad at UIUC - was just wondering if you'd recommend it academically, and also how easy/expensive it is to get to Bloomington? My boyfriend goes to university there and at the minute we're looking at him driving to see me but it'd be nice if I could get on a bus or something...

Also is it possible to get self-catered accommodation, or will I be stuck with a meal plan? I have type 1 diabetes and it really negatively effects my health if I don't cook for myself. EDIT: Found they have the carb counts for EVERYTHING on their website for their meal plan options... epic.

EDIT: Nevermind, just found out my medical expenses for the year would be just under $3000...
(edited 12 years ago)
So Hunter College have offered me accommodation, but not on campus.

Its with EHS, in their Brooklyn Heights residence. Everything there looks really nice, however its $16700 for the 9 months and I'm concerned the rooms themselves within this accommodation may be really run down.

At the moment I'm favouring this over the prospect of finding an apartment to share. The area is nice, I can just about afford it, has excellent facilities and I'm really unsure as to finding students to share with in NYC.

Any tips American TSR dwellers?
Original post by ellakrystina
Hey, I spoke to you about this on a previous thread. Are you aware that not all degrees at Manchester have lots of options of uni choice? For my degree I only had three choices, whereas English/Law etc had many more universities to choose from. Not all degrees can do study abroad...

What degree are you actually going to be studying? I can then find out if you will actually be able to go abroad.

EDIT: Just contacted them and they've advised that you email them directly with your degree programme to: [email protected]
They said that the options vary a lot with regards to what semester you may be abroad, what grade average you'd need, etc so it's best to contact them directly.

I think I asked you too! I'm looking to study History, and the department said everywhere was open to me except University of California.
Original post by victoryshinesonus
I think I asked you too! I'm looking to study History, and the department said everywhere was open to me except University of California.

Awesome :smile:
Original post by Baltimoron
I'm kind of mad I just found this thread. I'm currently in my second year at the University of Maryland.

I absolutely LOVE this school. For me, it's perfect. The location is great. The campus is located 9 miles from DC, so students often go there for a night out or during the day to chill. Most of the clubs in DC are 18 to get in, 21 to drink, so you'll be fine. Annapolis is also about 30 minutes away (it's a beautiful, historic, waterfront city). Baltimore is 45 minutes away. If you're looking for a school in a populated area I think Maryland is your best choice.

The University has about 35,000 students, of which 25,000 are undergraduates. There's a ton of international students just because we are so close to DC. The school is very diverse and pretty liberal. We also have one of the largest Jewish populations of any school in the country. The school is almost 1/3 Jewish.

As for the social life, it couldn't be better. If you like to party, Maryland is the school for you. Everyone drinks. Sports are huge here, too. Particularly football, basketball, lacrosse, and soccer. We consistently have one of the best soccer and lacrosse teams in the country and games are so fun to go too. I'm just assuming you have an interest in soccer since you're British, but soccer is big here. The games are very well attended and one of the most fun things to do on campus.

The academics are also good. We're consistently ranked as one of the best values in public education in the country. Our engineering, journalism, and business programs are particularly good.

Here's a video of the school, showing some of the campus, the lacrosse game against Duke, and of course the partying (which is the focus of the video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgmRhFV3Orw

Honestly, how could you not want to come here after watching that video? Jk, but seriously, this school is incredible and I highly recommend it to you.

Oh, and I forgot. Our campus if effin' beautiful. We have the longest collegiate mall in the United States. And last not but not least, our alumni do big things. Some famous alumni include Jim Henson, creator of The Muppets (he actually created The Muppets for his major here), Larry David of Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld fame, Sergey Brin (one of the co-founders of Google), the guy who created Under Armour went here, Carly Fiorina (former CEO of Hewlett-Packard), one of the co-founders of Sirius Satellite Radio, and the list goes on and on.

I keep thinking of more reasons why this school is awesome. The DC metropolitan area is the wealthiest and most educated part of the country. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Also, if you're into music, the DC music scene is exploding right now. So many great concerts, venues, and artists are coming out of the DC area.

So, yeah. You should go to MD. PM me if you want more info.

I'm glad you have spoken about the DC area and MD with such passion and excitement. I'm doing my study abroad year at Washington College which is in Chestertown, MD, not too far from Annapolis and DC. Any clubs/bars/shops/restaurants you recommend in either DC or Annapolis?
Original post by ellakrystina
Awesome :smile:

Also, how long does it take for Manchester to decide if you've made it or not? Because if I'm unsuccessful, obviously I'll need to look for accommodation for a full 2nd year, so I'd like to know soonish if I'm going or if I've been unsuccessful. Thnx
Original post by victoryshinesonus
Also, how long does it take for Manchester to decide if you've made it or not? Because if I'm unsuccessful, obviously I'll need to look for accommodation for a full 2nd year, so I'd like to know soonish if I'm going or if I've been unsuccessful. Thnx

For worldwide applications (non-erasmus) the application had to be in the last week before Christmas holidays and you find out at the end of January. Most people seem to sort out houses around January-February although there's still plenty of houses around at the moment.
Original post by 11flon
Hi everyone, I've just accepted a university offer with a year in North America. The universities are Iowa State University, the University of Kansas and the University of New Mexico, I was wondering if anyone had any info on these universities? Mainly in terms of social life as I'll be looking up the academics more closely nearer the time. Also, I know this has probably been asked above, but I'll only be 20, and the drinking age is 21, is it really strict on this in the US? If so, will it affect the social aspect of university that much? Are any of the states these particular 3 universities are situated in stricter on things like that than others? Really don't want to go back to being underage again ): Hate having an August birthday!

One of my friends is at Kansas for his year abroad and he is absolutely loving it. He's been to NYC, Boston, Arizona and Washington. He's really close to Chicago and goes regularly, and says Lawrence (where the uni is) is fantastic. He's been to countless parties, he's not 21 yet but it hasn't appeared to be a problem for him.

But you should remember that many of the people you know out there won't be 21 either - but they wont have the drinking culture background that you'll have had from living in the UK. It's not common to have a bar on campus like it is in the UK, and you'll probably find that alcohol isn't 'quite' as dominant as it is in the UK.
Reply 74
Original post by georgegabriel
One of my friends is at Kansas for his year abroad and he is absolutely loving it. He's been to NYC, Boston, Arizona and Washington. He's really close to Chicago and goes regularly, and says Lawrence (where the uni is) is fantastic. He's been to countless parties, he's not 21 yet but it hasn't appeared to be a problem for him.

But you should remember that many of the people you know out there won't be 21 either - but they wont have the drinking culture background that you'll have had from living in the UK. It's not common to have a bar on campus like it is in the UK, and you'll probably find that alcohol isn't 'quite' as dominant as it is in the UK.

Thanks for the reply! Ah, I'm glad to hear he's enjoying it :smile: Oh wow, I'd love to travel round America while I'm there, has he mentioned anything about how easy/expensive it is to do so? Especially in terms of travelling between states and such. It's comforting to hear being under 21 isn't having a negative impact on his social life! Yeah, I kind of guessed that the drinking culture would be pretty different, but I'd be happy to give up drinking for a year for the opportunity to study in America! Will be weird going from being an adult to underage again though...
I'm glad you have spoken about the DC area and MD with such passion and excitement. I'm doing my study abroad year at Washington College which is in Chestertown, MD, not too far from Annapolis and DC. Any clubs/bars/shops/restaurants you recommend in either DC or Annapolis?

I don't know how old you are. But some popular clubs in DC that you only have to be 18 to get into (18 to get in, 21 to drink) include Ultrabar, Fur, and Ibiza. District is pretty popular, but you have to be 21 to get in.

I'm not as familiar with the Annapolis bar scene. I can guarantee you there are some great bars there, though. Nightclubs, not so much. It's just not that kind of town. Annapolis is a very historic town, though, so there is always lots to do there during the day. It's also home of the Naval Academy so you'll see tons of college kids walking around in Naval uniforms.

DC and Annapolis both have lots of great restaurants. Depends on what you're looking for, of course, but you'll definitely find something that suits you.

Also, don't forget about Baltimore. It's nearby and has lots of things to do. Clubs, bars, restaurants, etc.

And College Park. It's home to the University of Maryland, where I go. Our school is ranked as one of the top 20 party schools in the country, so there's always house parties and stuff here. There's also a couple bars here. But most importantly, it's got 35,000 other 18-22 year olds.

I've addressed this before on this site, but I feel the need to say it again. Just because the drinking age here is 21, doesn't mean kids under 21 don't drink. We all drink here, just like you guys over there. Most people start before they get to university, meaning they're usually 15, 16, or 17 when they start. Everyone in university drinks here.

And yes, alcohol is extremely dominant on college campuses here. It's everywhere.

I always see this complaint on TSR (about the drinking age being 21 and wondering whether or not to study abroad because of that). Trust me, if you want to drink, you will drink. And you will find thousands of other kids to drink with and unlimited places to do it. Yes, it might be a little more inconvenient because of the drinking age, but speaking from personal experience, I have never not drank just because the drinking age is 21. Drinking underage is not difficult to do or get away with here.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've addressed this before on this site, but I feel the need to say it again. Just because the drinking age here is 21, doesn't mean kids under 21 don't drink. We all drink here, just like you guys over there. Most people start before they get to university, meaning they're usually 15, 16, or 17 when they start. Everyone in university drinks here.

And yes, alcohol is extremely dominant on college campuses here. It's everywhere.

I always see this complaint on TSR (about the drinking age being 21 and wondering whether or not to study abroad because of that). Trust me, if you want to drink, you will drink. And you will find thousands of other kids to drink with and unlimited places to do it. Yes, it might be a little more inconvenient because of the drinking age, but speaking from personal experience, I have never not drank just because the drinking age is 21. Drinking underage is not difficult to do or get away with here.

Yeah, I'm not saying people don't drink in America..but my point was about the CULTURE. It's completely different to here in the UK. And again on the dominance point, that's why I was careful to say not "quite" as dominant. It's simply not. Campus life in the UK revolves more around alcohol than it does in the USA, plain and simple.

I don't know how old you are. But some popular clubs in DC that you only have to be 18 to get into (18 to get in, 21 to drink) include Ultrabar, Fur, and Ibiza. District is pretty popular, but you have to be 21 to get in.

I'm not as familiar with the Annapolis bar scene. I can guarantee you there are some great bars there, though. Nightclubs, not so much. It's just not that kind of town. Annapolis is a very historic town, though, so there is always lots to do there during the day. It's also home of the Naval Academy so you'll see tons of college kids walking around in Naval uniforms.

DC and Annapolis both have lots of great restaurants. Depends on what you're looking for, of course, but you'll definitely find something that suits you.

Also, don't forget about Baltimore. It's nearby and has lots of things to do. Clubs, bars, restaurants, etc.

And College Park. It's home to the University of Maryland, where I go. Our school is ranked as one of the top 20 party schools in the country, so there's always house parties and stuff here. There's also a couple bars here. But most importantly, it's got 35,000 other 18-22 year olds.

Thanks for this info. I'm 20 and will turn 21 when I'm out there so should be able to sample a bit of it all. I want to travel to Baltimore, Philly etc as much as I can so I wont be leaving any stones unturned. I'd like to see College Park and Ocean City as well. Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 78
I do think there is a bit of difference between American and UK universities in that respect. American students can throw down and hammer back shots with the best of them, but the drinking scene is often a bit dichotomous - you're either a non-drinker or you're drinking to get drunk (e.g. circle of death at a frat party). Casual drinking, like heading out to a bar for a drink or two, is a bit more unusual unless you're hanging out with older undergrads. The only university I know of with an on-campus pub is Brown (it's great!), but that's primarily for grad students.

That said, I agree that alcohol is readily available for those who want it, and I strongly disagree that drinking is less prevalent in the US. My own university regularly provided free kegs for campus events. There was a sort of "don't ask, don't tell" policy in place about underage drinking; as long as it was in a solo cup instead of you wandering around holding a bottle of Jack Daniels, you were okay. Administrators would much rather have students drinking safely on campus than sneaking off campus and possibly driving drunk.

Getting into bars/clubs underage can be more difficult, but it really depends on where you go. Some cities (especially big ones like NYC) are a lot harsher on underage drinking, which makes it difficult, but others are very lax. (Bars in some college towns don't bother checking IDs at all.) Things can vary even within a city; at least one or two bars or clubs are usually a bit cavalier about such things and are popular spots for underclassmen.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah, I'm not saying people don't drink in America..but my point was about the CULTURE. It's completely different to here in the UK. And again on the dominance point, that's why I was careful to say not "quite" as dominant. It's simply not. Campus life in the UK revolves more around alcohol than it does in the USA, plain and simple.

Thanks for this info. I'm 20 and will turn 21 when I'm out there so should be able to sample a bit of it all. I want to travel to Baltimore, Philly etc as much as I can so I wont be leaving any stones unturned. I'd like to see College Park and Ocean City as well. Thank you for your help :smile:

One last recommendation. If you're going to check out Ocean City, you should also go to Assateague Island. It's right next to Ocean City but is much cleaner, far fewer people, and it has wild horses. Wild horses. It's one of the absolute coolest places in Maryland. I've been there many times and encountering horses on the beach or on the roads is still amazing. Seriously, go here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assateague_Island

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending