The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Thinking of studying at Northumbria? Any questions? Ask here.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'd love more information about English Literature and Creative Writing.

Oh, and the website says that accommodation will be offered starting in June.
Can I expect that in the beginning of June... or sometime randomly half-way through June?
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Original post by lothiriel
I'd love more information about English Literature and Creative Writing.

Oh, and the website says that accommodation will be offered starting in June.
Can I expect that in the beginning of June... or sometime randomly half-way through June?

Hello there,

For more information about English Literature and Creative Writing BA, click the link below;

http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/?view=CourseDetail&code=UUFENL2CRW1

Last year it was more towards the mid-end of June that offers were being made. However it may change this year. If you want to find out for definite you could email [email protected] who should be able to be more specific.

Best wishes,

Leanne
Reply 22
Hello,

I would like to ask is that normal that I do not get any messages from the University all month? They (Northumbria) just asked me to scan and send a copy of my certificate, that is it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rok4s
Hello,

I would like to ask is that normal that I do not get any messages from the University all month? They (Northumbria) just asked me to scan and send a copy of my certificate, that is it.

Hello there,

Did you receive any response when you sent the copy of your certificate?

If you are a bit worried about this, then I would email [email protected] and ask whether there has been any progress with your application (or whatever the subject is).

Hope this helps in some way,

Leanne
What date is the freshers week? is the 17th Sept week (I think I put that down) is that the right date to put down for moving?
I applied a while ago, just wanted know :smile:.
Reply 25
Original post by Mysteriouschic
What date is the freshers week? is the 17th Sept week (I think I put that down) is that the right date to put down for moving?

I think (I may be wrong!) that we're supposed to move in on the 14th. That gives you the weekend to properly move in and stuff. I'm not sure though. Like I said, I might be mistaken! :rolleyes:
I think (I may be wrong!) that we're supposed to move in on the 14th. That gives you the weekend to properly move in and stuff. I'm not sure though. Like I said, I might be mistaken! :rolleyes:

Oh I put down the 17th I'll change the date later on if I need to. I don't know someone said that we put down the 17th :s-smilie:.
I couldn't find anything about freshers every other Uni has got a page on Facebook

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 28
Original post by Mysteriouschic

The official launch party for Freshers was on 17th last year because it was a Saturday. This year the 17th is a Monday so the launch party will be on 15th instead (as that is a Saturday). Whoever told you the 17th was probably thinking of last year's dates or they may have been thinking of the welcome talk which takes place on the Monday (which is 17th this year).

Some of the accommodation moves in on Friday 14th and some will move in on Saturday 15th. You could move in later if you want but you'd miss the launch party and the events on Sunday too (fun day and hypnotist show in the evening last year), and you might find it awkward joining your flatmates slightly later but it won't be much later and you should still make friends fine if you want to move in later.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by StacFace
The official launch party for Freshers was on 17th last year because it was a Saturday. This year the 17th is a Monday so the launch party will be on 15th instead (as that is a Saturday). Whoever told you the 17th was probably thinking of last year's dates or they may have been thinking of the welcome talk which takes place on the Monday (which is 17th this year).

Some of the accommodation moves in on Friday 14th and some will move in on Saturday 15th. You could move in later if you want but you'd miss the launch party and the events on Sunday too (fun day and hypnotist show in the evening last year), and you might find it awkward joining your flatmates slightly later but it won't be much later and you should still make friends fine if you want to move in later.

Thanks very much.I think I might have changed the date already but I can't remember I'll check it in a few weeks when I finish my exams. I'll change the date if I have to.
Reply 30
Hello,

im planning to take business management Full time (top up) transferred from singapore (current education : adv. diploma)

in northumbria univ, if the students fail the exam, resit/remodules or extrawork/coursework?

how many times university allowed to retake?

two times only?
after two times so the student withdrawn from univ?

and the last question is,

my last year is in northumbria which is only 12 months
now im still confusing to choose international business management or business management

what is the modules if i take business management and international business management?
only 5 modules right in 12 months?

thank you,
just asking detaily before goin :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
I have a question.

I applied for accommodation and got an offer yesterday (for Quay Point).
Can I wait a little while longer. Would I maybe get more offers for different accommodation?
I was kind of hoping for Victoria Halls, but I'm not sure since Quay Point was a City Ensuite option, if any other City Ensuites may be offered to me?
Reply 32
I have a question.

I applied for accommodation and got an offer yesterday (for Quay Point).
Can I wait a little while longer. Would I maybe get more offers for different accommodation?
I was kind of hoping for Victoria Halls, but I'm not sure since Quay Point was a City Ensuite option, if any other City Ensuites may be offered to me?

They will only make one offer of accommodation and I think there is a deadline for replying to it otherwise you lose it (it should say what the deadline is in the letter or email you got offering it). The fact that you've been offered it when you asked for Victoria Hall means that all the places they reserved for unconditional applicants have gone there.

However what you can do is accept and then ask around on relevant forums and facebook pages etc if anyone has been allocated Victoria Hall but would like to swap for Quay Point. There will be an admin fee for both you and the person you swap with (I think it is £50 but I would check first) but if you really want Victoria Hall and you can find someone who has that but really wants Quay Point then you can do it. Of course there is no guarantee you'll find someone to swap with and you may end up staying in Quay Point, but it seems you would rather do this than rent somewhere privately so I would say it's definately worth a try.

It might be worth mentioning the following which might convince people to want to swap to Quay Point:
- There is a communal TV and Sky package included in the rent.
- There is a telephone line in each room with no connection fee.
- It should be more social (flats of 6 instead of 4 and over twice as many rooms).
- It's just Northumbria students, whereas in Victoria Hall there are 'Northumbria' and 'Newcastle' blocks.
I recently applied and received an offer for Camden Court. I read the brochure. I feel that the brochure from Northumbria and Unite doesn't provide much information. I wonder if anyone can provide some extra details. I understand that Camden Court is classic ensuite. I don't mind the smaller space.

I am an International Student and will start my first year soon. I wonder if there is anything about Camden Court that I should take note? Any problems with Camden Court? Are the administrators there friendly and helpful? How is the security in Camden Court?

I hope that someone can provide extra info about Camden Court. Thanks...!
Original post by wizard.jackwest
I recently applied and received an offer for Camden Court. I read the brochure. I feel that the brochure from Northumbria and Unite doesn't provide much information. I wonder if anyone can provide some extra details. I understand that Camden Court is classic ensuite. I don't mind the smaller space.

I am an International Student and will start my first year soon. I wonder if there is anything about Camden Court that I should take note? Any problems with Camden Court? Are the administrators there friendly and helpful? How is the security in Camden Court?

I hope that someone can provide extra info about Camden Court. Thanks...!

Hello there,

Firstly congratulations on your offer, as you probably know Camden Court is a self-catered 8 storey building located next to the City Campus, less than a minutes’ walk from the city centre. As with most Northumbria University accommodation there is 24 hour assistance to help you with any problems you may have. Each resident is given a key to allow access to both the main building and their individual room. On site CCTV is standard across all the university and accommodation. Please feel free to email [email protected] who will happily help you on any specific questions you may have about accommodation at Northumbria University.

Kind regards,
Tom
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
hi,

i got my conditional offer for a postgrad course in creative writing from northumbria a month ago where it stated that i have to send them my degree certificate at the earliest. The problem is, i still havnt got it from my current university, as there is a processing time delay of 2-3 months. but i can get the provisional certificate in another two weeks time.

But would it be too late by then? Will all the seats get filled? I'm also concerned about my accommodation. i was notified earlier that there are only limited no of rooms in the campus and so, if there is any further delay in getting my certificate, will i have to search for rooms outside the campus? That would be hard, cause im an international student. So is there any way i can do anything about this?

btw, would a provisional certificate do as a proof that i have completed my degree, or will northumbria insist on the original certificate?
Reply 36
Hey there,

For Northumbria's UCAS tariff requirements (320 for Politics), is that purely for points gained from A2s, or do AS's count towards that total?
Original post by agam
Hello,

im planning to take business management Full time (top up) transferred from singapore (current education : adv. diploma)

in northumbria univ, if the students fail the exam, resit/remodules or extrawork/coursework?

how many times university allowed to retake?

two times only?
after two times so the student withdrawn from univ?

and the last question is,

my last year is in northumbria which is only 12 months
now im still confusing to choose international business management or business management

what is the modules if i take business management and international business management?
only 5 modules right in 12 months?

thank you,
just asking detaily before goin :biggrin:

Hello there,

Thank you for your questions.

If a student fails an exam, they get the opportunity to resit it in the summer after the semester is over. This applies to assignments and essays too.

As far as I'm aware, you are only allowed to resit the module once however this is something I can look into for you.

Are you wanting to study Undergraduate or Postgraduate? As both levels are different and have many different modules.

Best wishes,

Leanne
Northumbria University
Original post by RonnetClaw
hi,

i got my conditional offer for a postgrad course in creative writing from northumbria a month ago where it stated that i have to send them my degree certificate at the earliest. The problem is, i still havnt got it from my current university, as there is a processing time delay of 2-3 months. but i can get the provisional certificate in another two weeks time.

But would it be too late by then? Will all the seats get filled? I'm also concerned about my accommodation. i was notified earlier that there are only limited no of rooms in the campus and so, if there is any further delay in getting my certificate, will i have to search for rooms outside the campus? That would be hard, cause im an international student. So is there any way i can do anything about this?

btw, would a provisional certificate do as a proof that i have completed my degree, or will northumbria insist on the original certificate?

Hello there,

Could you provide me with your name, email address and this query by emailing [email protected] and I shall forward it onto the right department for them to advice you.

Thanks,

Leanne
Northumbria University
Reply 39
Hey, i already submit the applications, and wait for approval.

Anw, can you explain more about assessment for third year programme(last year) in International Business management (i transfered from singapore, diploma background)

The assignment,assessment? because there is no information on the website for this?
For this module, the last year only assignment and project?
There's 6 modules include dissertation. Correct me if i wrong. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest