The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Extra time/Exams...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ufo2012
For some people it is definitely not harder - it probably depends a lot on personality. I know many people who could easily do it without a second thought, at the same time - they are not someone worthy of friendship as such people are almost exclusively out for themselves.

Politicians are a different matter and hardly worthy of discussion here - in case you hadn't noticed they get the limelight for doing these "bad" things for a short time, but after this has blown over, they have been sacked, demoted, whatever - quietly they will be elevated again into a position of power before we have even realised it because we lost interest in them ages before.

Doing it is easy enough for people who have no conscience, but then they have to pay the consequences later. They have to work hard to make sure that their lies don't catch up with them.
Reply 41
Original post by MrHappy_J
Doing it is easy enough for people who have no conscience, but then they have to pay the consequences later. They have to work hard to make sure that their lies don't catch up with them.

Lol for some this seems to be no problem at all.

Look out for the backslappers or the ones who laugh most at the bosses jokes, they are the most likely candidates.
There's some of us who actually need extra time.

When I told my friends I was eligibly for Extra Time all they said was "oh wow if I pretend to have problems could I get it too?" Seriously, we get it because we NEED it.
Reply 43
I never need extra time...I finish within the time limit and get good grades :smile:

I couldn't care less if other people get extra time and I don't. Getting good grades is overrated anyway, hence why I'm talking rubbish on here rather than revising right now...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Lol, you're a gimp.
Original post by SweetChilliSauce
There's some of us who actually need extra time.

When I told my friends I was eligibly for Extra Time all they said was "oh wow if I pretend to have problems could I get it too?" Seriously, we get it because we NEED it.

I had that at uni.:rolleyes: I would rather not have the extra time and be able to sit for more than half hour without pain and not find reading so tiring.
the best people work to achieve what they want to.. sure people use their contacts or whatever to get a job.. but you keep the job because you work hard and do it well, work hard enough you can get a promotion, but lying and cheating will one day be found out.. if not now, it will some day.

don't you feel the slightest bit of guilt?

maybe myself and many others want to work hard and do things for ourselves, where as you.. youll probably go back to mummy and daddy and cry when things get too much for that small brain of yours. :smile:

as the film i studied in german (goodbye lenin) said "was hat mit einer Luege begonnen, hat schnell zu einer Lugengebaude gefuehrt" - "what started with one lie, soon led to a web of lies".. the past will catch up with you mate so grow a pair and man up :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by OU Student
I had that at uni.:rolleyes: I would rather not have the extra time and be able to sit for more than half hour without pain and not find reading so tiring.

Wait, you can get extra time at uni as well? :redface:
Wait, you can get extra time at uni as well? :redface:

If it's recommended, yes. You can also get things like rest breaks and your own room if they recommend it.
Reply 49
Original post by littlemissmidget123

maybe myself and many others want to work hard and do things for ourselves, where as you.. youll probably go back to mummy and daddy and cry when things get too much for that small brain of yours. :smile:

as the film i studied in german (goodbye lenin) said "was hat mit einer Luege begonnen, hat schnell zu einer Lugengebaude gefuehrt" - "what started with one lie, soon led to a web of lies".. the past will catch up with you mate so grow a pair and man up :biggrin:

As it said above the gates on entry to Auschwitz: "Arbeit Macht Frei" - and that was quite obviously nonsense.

Relaxation and loosing the shackles of work makes one free - the only thing work does is turn that person into a slave!
Reply 50
Original post by Octohedral
I don't agree with extra time in exams. In my opinion, either:
1. Exams are supposed to test how people do under time pressure. In this case someone who can't do well under time pressure shouldn't have extra time - it's like giving someone who isn't mathematically minded a calculator, and no-one else.
2. Exams are not supposed to test how people do under time pressure. But they clearly do - most people I know struggle to finish - so surely everyone should get more time?

I think time pressure is a cop-out to keep grades even - what they should do is structure the questions so that the easiest are just factual, allowing people to get Cs etc, but the hardest need considerable imagination and intelligence. Then increase exam time to 3 hours, without increasing number of questions, and you have an exam that tests everything without it being unfair on people who can't write fast, or people who can. I.e. greater thinking to writing ratio.

I agree totally, extra time should just be abolished, then no one can be accused of cheating to be awarded it, and there will be no resentment.

In my experience uni exams have been very tight for time and only the people awarded extra time ever finish with time to spare.
If it's recommended, yes. You can also get things like rest breaks and your own room if they recommend it.

Oh wow! I thought I'd have to push myself to write faster at uni but I guess it's not too bad. Is this in all uni's do you know or just your one?
Reply 52
There would be reasonable adjustments in place to ensure that someone does get any extra help in real life.

Such as....

I disagree, in most job situations you would not be given extra help in real life. "Oh John can you write up that report by tomorrow morning please? Oh wait you are one of the 'extra time kids' ok, take a week"

Sorry I'm not meaning to be insensitive but it's just pointless giving someone extra time for an exam. They should be assessed equally against their peers for their exam result to mean anything. The extra help they get should be to attempt to overcome their disabilities as best as possible, not compensate for them in an exam.

There's a huge difference here. People are given extra time because their disabilities mean they may read or write slowly. It's nothing to do with intelligence. You can have my extra time and rest breaks and all my disabilities if you want?

If you read or write slowly you should be given extensive extra help to try and improve these skills as much as possible, but still assessed equally to everyone else. If the exam isn't supposed to be a time pressure test, then make the exam way longer than everyone needs.
Reply 53
Oh wow! I thought I'd have to push myself to write faster at uni but I guess it's not too bad. Is this in all uni's do you know or just your one?

All unis will do it, but it depends on your disability and they're usually a lot stricter about who they give it to.

For example (although tis again OU) I'm allowed rest breaks but not actually extra writing time. I have to go away from my desk so I can't see the paper as I have arthritis and can't write for long without pain.
Original post by elinorus
If you read or write slowly you should be given extensive extra help to try and improve these skills as much as possible, but still assessed equally to everyone else. If the exam isn't supposed to be a time pressure test, then make the exam way longer than everyone needs.

Tell me, how the hell can I "improve my skills" when it's down to irreversible damage to my eyes?:rolleyes: Or do you know something that no other medical professional knows?

By law, all educational establishments (unis, schools, colleges, etc) must make reasonable adjustments. I was recommended the help when at a brick uni too.
i get an extra 1% (score) on each exam in the summer due to pretty extreme hayfever.
By law, all educational establishments (unis, schools, colleges, etc) must make reasonable adjustments. I was recommended the help when at a brick uni too.

Oh, thanks btw! So me having extra time now won't hinder my application?
Oh, thanks btw! So me having extra time now won't hinder my application?

Not at all. I'm not even sure if unis would know you had extra time anyway.
Reply 59
Tell me, how the hell can I "improve my skills" when it's down to irreversible damage to my eyes?:rolleyes: Or do you know something that no other medical professional knows?

Ok no need to be so rude, obviously I do not know your medical situation, how could I?

You specifically mentioned disabilities involving reading and writing speed, you did not say that was due to a physical problem with your sight. Your situation sounds more serious than the typical slow writing speed, so for situations like yours provisions should be provided, like someone reading the exam to you, and you dictating your answers to someone. (or whatever they do to examine people who are blind/partially sighted, I'm sorry I have no idea)

Although you seem to have no problem reading this forum and replying quickly so maybe your problem isn't as serious as that. Again a generalisation obviously I don't know your full situation.

Instead of giving people extra time, why not give everyone extra time, as in make the exam long enough that everyone can finish comfortably? Would you agree that this is the best option?

Latest

Trending

Trending