The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Extra time/Exams...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by OU Student
Do you have any evidence of this, please?

No it's from personal and anecdotal experience. That's why it was presented as my opinion and I never claimed it to be fact. Stop being pedantic.

People who benefit from the current system are very defensive against even the hypothetical suggestion of change to the system, by students with no actual power to bring about such a change. This is just a discussion why does it bother you so much what I think?

Personally I couldn't care less who gets extra time or why, because I do OK without it, but the cheating in the system is unfair to a lot of students.
Reply 81
Original post by elinorus
No it's from personal and anecdotal experience. That's why it was presented as my opinion and I never claimed it to be fact. Stop being pedantic.

People who benefit from the current system are very defensive against even the hypothetical suggestion of change to the system, by students with no actual power to bring about such a change. This is just a discussion why does it bother you so much what I think?

Personally I couldn't care less who gets extra time or why, because I do OK without it, but the cheating in the system is unfair to a lot of students.

What counts as "cheating" is hard to say. I mean, if the rule/system is that to get extra time you must:

1) Ask for it
2) Write slowly in a test

Then if you satisfy those two conditions, you can legitimately get it.

The problem is the system that offers people extra time because they're deficient in one or more of the qualities supposedly being examined. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Original post by elinorus

From my personal experience, it's because people have a lot of misconceptions about the support we receive and we have this blaming culture where disabled people are often depicted as scroungers. When you get attacked due to this regularly, you're bound to become defensive.
Reply 83
This is really annoying. I have been in hopsital for numerous operations this year, I'm on a dozen tablets a day, I'm constantly weak, suffer from memory loss and chronic constant pain. I have another two operations upcoming and I am constantly being tested.

I get no consideration with less than 28 percent attendance.

I am not complaining, do not get me wrong. I'm pretty sure that there are worse people off who NEED extra-time.

So.. why don't you just grow a pair. Admit you don't and never needed it. And get on with your studies!

I know my marks won't be as good as they should perhaps, but I'll perservere and resit if needs be.. Maybe you should too.
Original post by SJC
This is really annoying. I have been in hopsital for numerous operations this year, I'm on a dozen tablets a day, I'm constantly weak, suffer from memory loss and chronic constant pain. I have another two operations upcoming and I am constantly being tested.

People like you should get extra marks / consideration. It's not as if you just skipped lessons.
Original post by SJC

I am not complaining, do not get me wrong. I'm pretty sure that there are worse people off who NEED extra-time.

So.. why don't you just grow a pair. Admit you don't and never needed it. And get on with your studies!

I know my marks won't be as good as they should perhaps, but I'll perservere and resit if needs be.. Maybe you should too.

You can get special consideration, maybe not extra time but you can get extra marks in your exam - I've been in hospital and in and out of doctors and on meds and it's really screwed up my concentration as well as pain messing up my exam performance and my doctor is proving evidence for me to get special consideration :smile:
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Extra time doesn't necessarily make you do better; time doesn't give you prompts for the answers it just gives you longer to write what you know down so it's reliant on you actually knowing everything.

Bringing notes into an exam would be more helpful to me than having longer but I don't see the point in cheating. I always finished my exams early and couldn't wait to get out and still did really well so an extra 20 mins would make me really restless.

So what exams have you sat? doing science or maths exams, extra time would be great. If i you finish early. You can check you're answers (math based) or if theres a calculation you're struggling i know a lot of cleaver people who would only get the right answer after spending a lot of time on it.
I know 2 people who get extra time in exams, and they both always get A's or A*'s
Original post by make it snappy
So what exams have you sat? doing science or maths exams, extra time would be great. If i you finish early. You can check you're answers (math based) or if theres a calculation you're struggling i know a lot of cleaver people who would only get the right answer after spending a lot of time on it.
I know 2 people who get extra time in exams, and they both always get A's or A*'s

I've sat loads of exams in a variety of subjects, just like most people here.

I did Maths at college and finished early to check over my answers, but in essay-based exams I didn't have long to check but still did well. Time is irrelevant if you haven't revised properly. The people you know who get extra time might have a learning difficulty of some sort (e.g. dyslexia) which has nothing to do with intellect, but they need the extra time because they struggle to read/write.

The people you know who get extra time might have a learning difficulty of some sort (e.g. dyslexia) which has nothing to do with intellect, but they need the extra time because they struggle to read/write.

fair comment.

I knew someone who was German who was taking a chemistry exam in England, they could speak perfect English and probably spell better than me :P they got extra time and got 98% in the exam :angry:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
What's the big fuss over people complaining about too many people having extra time, why are some people so sensitive? It's 2012 you have to think outside the box, you have to lie and cheat if you want to get further in life, you can't always do things by the book.

To get extra time all I did was tell my exams co-ordinator I'm a slower writer, I took a writing test to test my speed, obviously I wrote slow on purpose and was awarded extra time. Had I not done that I would have probably lost so many marks, same applies to applying for jobs too, think outside the box..

You raise an interesting point - do you believe extra time should be awarded at all?
Reply 90
Original post by madders94
You can get special consideration, maybe not extra time but you can get extra marks in your exam - I've been in hospital and in and out of doctors and on meds and it's really screwed up my concentration as well as pain messing up my exam performance and my doctor is proving evidence for me to get special consideration :smile:

I asked the school and they said they'd provide RestBreaks.. which are of no use. Is there any way I can contact the exam board - as i've sat the majority of my exams by now? :biggrin: thank you for your help.
Original post by SJC
I asked the school and they said they'd provide RestBreaks.. which are of no use. Is there any way I can contact the exam board - as i've sat the majority of my exams by now? :biggrin: thank you for your help.

Speak to your doctor, ask him to write a letter for you detailing your illness and the treatment you've required/received, and take it to your school and request they give it to the exam board, I'm fairly sure they have a duty to do that or they could be accused on sabotaging your chances of getting into university or something like that. The exam board can't do anything without a letter and I'm fairly sure it has to be the school that send it, hope it helps :smile:
Reply 92
you do realise if your exam officer/board ever saw this theyd be well within their rights to zero your papers?
Reply 93
i am an international student and want to get extra time, but the teacher in college said my IELS score is 5.5 so i cannot get it. the most weird thing is that my friend in other school applied extra time sucessfully. i wonder why i can't ???
Original post by Cissy Wang
i am an international student and want to get extra time, but the teacher in college said my IELS score is 5.5 so i cannot get it. the most weird thing is that my friend in other school applied extra time sucessfully. i wonder why i can't ???

You can't get extra time because you want it.
Due to the inactivity for an extensive amount of time, this thread is being closed. ("Bumping" old threads isn't allowed in the forums).
If anyone wants a discussion on the topic, feel free to make a new thread.

Latest

Trending

Trending