Announcements Posted on
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Oh we have someone who thinks they are a smart arse :clap2::congrats:
    You are a bit hard on yourself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Back in the day they had another word for 'depression'...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Do you have any proof that anything in your thread is remotely based on research rather than ignorance and prejudice?
    Simple answer to a simple question - yes.

Now, are you going to be a smart boy and articulate a proper post with some counter claims backed by evidence to what I have said? Or are you just going to throw out stupid statements and run off...
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is the point of this threads? Seems to just belittling those with depression. You can't compare the two. Yes, you can recover from bother and both do come back. (A friend has had cancer twice and there's a risk her daughter may get it young and has to be tested younger than most other women are)

You can also die from both - had a friend kill herself last year because of her depression and did know someone whose mother died from her cancer.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does it really matter? Both people are in pain, different sorts of pain, but still pain. That should be the most important thing, not whether one person is in more pain than the other. It's useless to compare them.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newky)

Now, are you going to be a smart boy and articulate a proper post with some counter claims backed by evidence to what I have said? Or are you just going to throw out stupid statements and run off...
    Where is your evidence?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newky)
    The very question you have posed to me in itself has the pretence of being a factual claim, so I could reverse the question right back to you. It doesn't really make sense. Very few things in science are 'definitively factual'. Evolution. The big bang. Many concepts in physics and so on. Science relies on the debate and contrasting of different claims and evidence.

So, what are your 'definitive factual claims' to counter what I have said about depression?

I'm all ears.
    Do we fully understand the nature of depression and all factors involved? No. That's a fact. Tell me how that is not a fact. I didn't make any specific factual claims about depression, I simply stated we don't fully understand it.

You asserted facts about the nature of depression, claiming it is only caused by the factors you stated, claiming all cases of depression can be cured or improved simply by solving personal issues in someones life....etc...etc.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newky)
    Where's your evidence?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Where is your evidence?
    You haven't offered any kind of a counter argument to anything I've said. In-fact you haven't even disagreed with any part of what I've said.

If you're not going to make time to even contradict anything I've said I'm not going to waste my time trawling through scientific studies for you.

Now, I'll repeat, are you going to be a big boy and articulate something that consists of more than one sentence?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Where's your evidence?
    Can you not think for yourself?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newky)
    Can you not think for yourself?
    You are just another troll.

No evidence to back up anything said, no coherent arguments, no sense made.

There are so many trolls now it must represent an opportunity for therapists and researchers.

Perhaps, some uni can offer research opportunities in "sad and deluded studies" to study the phenomenum of internet trolling
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShowMeYourSpine)
    Do we fully understand the nature of depression and all factors involved? No. That's a fact. Tell me how that is not a fact. I didn't make any specific factual claims about depression, I simply stated we don't fully understand it.

You asserted facts about the nature of depression, claiming it is only caused by the factors you stated, claiming all cases of depression can be cured or improved simply by solving personal issues in someones life....etc...etc.
    I can't tell you that we fully understand the nature of depression. I can't tell you that god doesn't exist, either. But we can make a fairly strong suggestion about both based on what we know. For example dramatically higher success rates in therapies focussing on cognition (thinking patterns) and addressing environmental factors compared with medication - coupled with significantly lower relapse rates in therapy-based solutions - would suggest that non-physiological solutions address the real causes for depression. In other words, its NOT some kind of uncontrollable, physical force like cancer. Even the very marginal success rate in medication when taken alone without therapy could be put down to a placebo affect rather than any real change. Furthermore, high relapse rates after coming off medication suggests that the issues aren't being addressed by focusing on physiological factors as a 'cause'.
    Using depression in family history as a case for genetics as a causal factor is scientifically a sketchy argument as well. The correlation could equally be put down to depression being passed down in an environmental manner. In other words, child learning the behaviours from the mother/father. Again, as opposed to some physical uncontrollable force.

The whole point of science is that we debate the evidence available. We can know very few things for certain. You don't seem to understand this, and I'm not sure frankly what point you're getting at or whether you even disagree with what I've said.

If you do disagree, feel free to state why and some kind of reasonable argument to back it up.

Same goes for anyone else. As I've said before, I'm all ears!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    You are just another troll.

No evidence to back up anything said, no coherent arguments, no sense made.

There are so many trolls now it must represent an opportunity for therapists and researchers.

Perhaps, some uni can offer research opportunities in "sad and deluded studies" to study the phenomenum of internet trolling
    Ditto buddy.

When you grow up, and can develop an intellectual argument, feel free to come back.

Till then, please don't troll.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barefootfiona)
    But. That’s where it stops. Depression is more manageable, and most people who suffer from depression do not die from it. Sadly, for cancer sufferers, that threat is far more palpable.
    That would depend on what kind of cancer we're talking about.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think they're very different. I had depression and yes it was awful but it wasn't cancer. I think people need to look at the reality, depression isn't really comparable to cancer. I know which one I'd prefer to have even if it was the most soul-destroying experience of my life.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newky)
    Ditto buddy.

When you grow up, and can develop an intellectual argument, feel free to come back.

Till then, please don't troll.
    I am sorry but he is making you look like an utter fool.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know cancer is a lot worse, though one thing I'd say about this, is that people who suffer from cancer get a lot of attention (not that I'm saying they don't deserve it) whereas people with depression are just bullied for it. Hardly anyone in our stupid society actually has the mind to help those with depression but rather a lot of them just say "just be happy"; which is about the same as going up to somebody in a wheelchair and saying "just get up".
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    I am sorry but he is making you look like an utter fool.
    Pardon?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socktor)
    I know cancer is a lot worse, though one thing I'd say about this, is that people who suffer from cancer get a lot of attention (not that I'm saying they don't deserve it) whereas people with depression are just bullied for it. Hardly anyone in our stupid society actually has the mind to help those with depression but rather a lot of them just say "just be happy"; which is about the same as going up to somebody in a wheelchair and saying "just get up".
    I've noticed this too. If you get cancer, people feel sorry for you. (regardless of whether this is because you were a smoker or were just unlucky) Yet, get depression, (regardless of why) you get told to get over it. I once had someone tell me I'm not depressed. Yes, because people who have nothing wrong with them, end up getting the police involved, getting threatened with being section, etc.:rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socktor)
    I know cancer is a lot worse, though one thing I'd say about this, is that people who suffer from cancer get a lot of attention (not that I'm saying they don't deserve it) whereas people with depression are just bullied for it.
    If you have serious depression, chances are you won't be working, so where are you gonna get bullied for it? Most people won't diagnose someone under 18 with depression, so where are they gonna get bullied for it...

[QUOTEHardly anyone in our stupid society actually has the mind to help those with depression but rather a lot of them just say "just be happy"; which is about the same as going up to somebody in a wheelchair and saying "just get up".[/QUOTE]

It's obviously completely different. As someone in a wheelchair obviously physically cannot walk, but someone with depression can physically and mentally feel happy. Encouraging positive thinking is the only thing one can really do to help people they know with depression...

A better analogy would be saying to someone who believe they can't walk but physically can 'just get up and walk'.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 2, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.