The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Multimedia Computing BSc

Hey, I'm in my first year of university and thinking about transferring to staffs.
Just wondering if anyone is studying Multimedia Computing BSc and if anybody could give me their opinion on the course/university.
I'd really appreciate it! Just to give you some background information I am currently studying Digital Media Development at Brighton! x
Is ok there is one particular lecturer which I would recommend you to be friendlier with than your friends to make sure you get a good mark as if you not socialable with her and can keep her with your group for the tutorial then your marks won't be very good. Fiona is her name and she should be on the tv programme on channel 5 "big body squad". She will be the main one for the subject, the other one which is usually with her is good, and is more of a favourite with people

Uni isn't the best as you'll be most likely on the stafford campus, which is 30 mins walk into town, town has poor nightlife, one bar which is mostly packed with 30+ people, the other I not sure about, is can be ok but depends what you used to. The su is terrible, some events they do can be ok but don't expect many girls which aren't taken, drinks tend to be watered down, food is mainly poor but is hit and miss,
(edited 12 years ago)
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Reply 2
So you don't enjoy it what so ever?
I heard there weren't an other other girls there which is rather weird, but then again I hang around with blokes usually and it isn't bad but by the sounds of it I'm going to be staying in Brighton then. Thanks for replying!
Reply 3
Original post by scorpion95
Is ok there is one particular lecturer which I would recommend you to be friendlier with than your friends to make sure you get a good mark as if you not socialable with her and can keep her with your group for the tutorial then your marks won't be very good. Fiona is her name and she should be on the tv programme on channel 5 "big body squad". She will be the main one for the subject, the other one which is usually with her is good, and is more of a favourite with people

Uni isn't the best as you'll be most likely on the stafford campus, which is 30 mins walk into town, town has poor nightlife, one bar which is mostly packed with 30+ people, the other I not sure about, is can be ok but depends what you used to. The su is terrible, some events they do can be ok but don't expect many girls which aren't taken, drinks tend to be watered down, food is mainly poor but is hit and miss,

I really have no idea where to start with this, I'm guessing you're getting bad marks and blaming it on the uni.

The uni is good, it's well regarded for computing.

I've not done that specific course so not sure about the lecturer.

Town's nightlife can often be rammed, I've seen Couture & CASA full many a night, and heck I started during the club wars when clubs were opening and closing left right and centre, it's better now.

The union used to have issues with it's nightlife but thank the wardens for sorting that out and the union (Steve Sutton mainly) for being willing to work with the wardens.

The DJ on a friday night is Chris and he's a class act, very hard to follow at an SU, sure we don't have Freejak as a resident DJ like UPSU do but Chris is still good and request friendly.

As for the drinks being watered down, complete lies, and 70p a vodka on a friday club night, often with free entry, can you beat that anywhere else?

At the end of the day it's the people that make the university experience, so don't just listen to one guy who's clearly had a bad time.
Original post by volmasoft
I really have no idea where to start with this, I'm guessing you're getting bad marks and blaming it on the uni.

The uni is good, it's well regarded for computing.

I've not done that specific course so not sure about the lecturer.

Town's nightlife can often be rammed, I've seen Couture & CASA full many a night, and heck I started during the club wars when clubs were opening and closing left right and centre, it's better now.

The union used to have issues with it's nightlife but thank the wardens for sorting that out and the union (Steve Sutton mainly) for being willing to work with the wardens.

The DJ on a friday night is Chris and he's a class act, very hard to follow at an SU, sure we don't have Freejak as a resident DJ like UPSU do but Chris is still good and request friendly.

As for the drinks being watered down, complete lies, and 70p a vodka on a friday club night, often with free entry, can you beat that anywhere else?

At the end of the day it's the people that make the university experience, so don't just listen to one guy who's clearly had a bad time.

Never been in couture, been in casa as is older people i.e. 30+ year olds, have seen a few girls not wearing much clothing,

Union nightlife I stick by isn't good maybe the odd night or two every now and again is good but majority of the time is crap and have seen it dead in there many a night.

Many people share the same experience of the drinks being watered down and also being flat and not like what the drinks should be,

Yeah in the past it has been regarded well for computing but has slipped a long way down the past few years
Reply 5
@Scorpion95 have you talked to the union about their nights to suggest any changes, or enquired about the drinks being flat or watered down ? You could always ask trading standards to come and inspect.

I've seen the bottles being opened fresh many a time thus how are they watered down unless this is done at source, thus not the union's fault.

Couture you should try perhaps before determining that all of Stafford town's nightlife is bad ?

Casa is the older crowd on a weekend but not on a Tuesday, but then it has issues as Couture is seen as the main place to be so Casa has issues keeping people in.

I think degrees in general have slipped in recent years, with people being given more and more "re-takes" and "chances" whereas in the past when my sisters were at university if you failed too many modules you were asked to leave the University but that's uni's and wanting finances.

The union every time I come back seems to be pretty popular, it's never been able to stay rammed but that's because of a few reasons, one being Couture in town offering very cheap drinks offers to compete and also the type of student at Stafford is often one of introverts (on the MBTI scale)

I don't think you can condemn the University, overall it's a good University and the support is there for people that need it either if you're a high achiever wanting to continue and be pushed to getting higher grades or whether you're an under achiever and need that little "prod" sometimes to get back on to the rails.
Reply 6
Staffs Town is rubbish, nightlife is rubbish and dead, the Union is rubbish...you can see where I'm going with this.

Never come to Staffs Uni. Tis the A-rse-hole of the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending