The Student Room Group

What do you think of Primark?

Scroll to see replies

i love primark i have got some great things from there
Reply 81
I actually like Primark... its cheap and usually good quality stuff but I wouldn't suggest going in if I was with my mates.

Its perfect for holiday clothes or stuff for the gym.
what are some other good shops like primark i don't want the stuff to be topshop prices or anything like that?
Reply 83
I think its a good store for here-today and gone-tomorrow fashion but to be honest, with some stuff you are better off saving and buying from higher end stores. There are some items of clothing that are worth the investment.
Original post by animalnitrate
Primark is the only place where I can get high denier tights without having to pay a fortune, I also love their patterned tights as well, the same goes for skinny jeans - it's the only place I've found that do properly skin tight ones that don't cost a bomb.

I've got some really nice jewellery from there in the past, I'd much rather spend £2 on a ring than go to Topshop and pay over £10.

I have to be careful with shoes as I have quite narrow feet but I get pumps from Primark and recently got a gorgeous pair of dark red lace ups reduced to £6, which fit fine.

However, I hate how busy it always is and have had panic attacks in there in the past.

I completely agree in terms of the skinny jeans being properly being skin tight! Normally I get skinnies from H&M, but I went to Primark for the first time after Christmas, and for a tenner for a pair of mens jeans, they were so good!
Reply 85
Original post by simstatic
It depends really... I mean I don't go to top shop (I went there for the first time two weeks ago - made me feel horrendously fat and I'm a size 12), but I don't really by clothes from primark unless its things that are loose, because things that are tight break more easily (and that's not because I'm fat) or get holes... So only really if it's made from a sturdy fabric.

Is it just my imagination or are Topshop clothes getting smaller. I'm a 10 but havent gained or lost any weight yet I find the size 10s in their shops harder to fit into. Especially the trousers.
Reply 86
I brought a pair of yellow boat shoe things there for 50p ... 50p!!!!!! What's not to love?
Reply 87
I bought some shorts from there to play squash in last week, and I thought I might have a look around if there was anything else off my list of need-to-buys seeing as I very rarely go in primark, and I gotta say, the stuff was pretty horrible, no better than Ralph Lauren.
Reply 88
I adore Primark <3

People who complain about poor quality obviously don't buy Primark clothes - most of my clothes are from Primark and they last years. You can buy stuff that costs 3 times as much in other shops and the quality is no better - I find Primark excellent for fit and fabric quality. And if you've got a sense of style you won't end up looking like everybody else - I always get complimented on my outfits and people are always surprised they're from Primark.
Original post by abc101
I adore Primark <3

People who complain about poor quality obviously don't buy Primark clothes - most of my clothes are from Primark and they last years. You can buy stuff that costs 3 times as much in other shops and the quality is no better - I find Primark excellent for fit and fabric quality. And if you've got a sense of style you won't end up looking like everybody else - I always get complimented on my outfits and people are always surprised they're from Primark.

my opinion is the same
Reply 90
The shop is just full of orange people spending their benefits dosh.
In Primark you can find a few gems. I wear a lot of blouses for work and I do get a couple every few months and Primark is the cheapest place to get them. I have this cute white blouse with a double black & white peter pan collar & gold buttons that cost me a tenner- a similar one in RI would have been triple that at no difference in quality.

I do see people on the high street looking drab and awful, dripping in Primark clothing but if you shop wisely you can dress well and cheaply. I have a pair of brogues that have lasted me a year and a couple of pairs of jeans that I've had for FOUR years. I only tend to buy the odd blouse, summer dress and basics like tights, socks, vests and underwear because they are bought often anyway.

Not everything is good quality- bought a pair of patterned tights that ripped mins after I put them on, and a blouse that lost buttons in the wash.

The men's clothing is a little boring though my bf got an ET T Shirt last weekend that I want to steal and a Sonic the Hedgehog men's vest which I'm sure he'll steal from me!
I like it, I'm currently wearing a Primark scarf and wooly jumper and they're keeping me nice and toasty :smile:

Some of the quality is terrible but occasionally you do find some gems. I had a pair of boots from there that lasted me 3 years and a pair of sandals that lasted me 3 weeks. Definitely the luck of the draw!
They are very good for the basic necessities and sometimes for stuff like shoes or jumpers. I do love it for the cheapness and how you can find nearly everything there!

But I find it more satisfying and fun buying from shops like River Island or H&M. 99% of the time, they can pull of a clothing design a lot better than Primark. If I am looking for design over practicality, I would go for RI or H&M or even shops like Hollister, Abercrombie etc. For the basics I would go for Primark.
Reply 94
I think for some things it's pretty good, and also the quality isn't too bad, nowhere near as bad as some people say.
I've had a couple of shirts from there that have lasted years, but I've also had t-shirts that have looked tired after very little wear. For some things it's great value, like when I was in sixth form I'd get a through a pair of plims and black jeans pretty much every half term before they were too faded/wrecked to wear, so it made sense to spend £10 for Primark jeans than £20/£25 from Topman, or £5 for Primark plims that about £15 from H&M.
Before I got a job it made sense to shop there, simply because you could get a whole outfit for barely £20, whereas you can pay that for just a t-shirt in Topman. However, now that I've got some money coming in, I prefer to shop elsewhere, partly because shopping in Primark can be a nightmare (massive queues, clothes strewn everywhere, and very little room to move), and partly because, other than shirts, their clothes don't always fit that well (for example a V neck T from Topman fits perfectly, yet a similar one from Primark doesn't).
Reply 95
Primark used to be better than it is now. Don't get me wrong, it's always been sweatshop-produced, low quality, items. However, its purpose was always that it sold clothes dirt cheap. They didn't last very well, wash very well or look like you'd paid top dollar for them, but at least you knew you were tiding yourself over with some throwaway clothes.

Now, they seem to be intent on trying to copy certain designs, brands and trends. There are plenty of designs that Primark puts its spin on - from the (I forget what they call it) Superdry-esque hoodies to the All Saints carbon copy (the 'protect and serve' copying the 'Houston, we have a touchdown) etc. The clothes are still the same awful quality, but the prices have been hiked. Some prints are so bad that they design has disappeared entirely simply while it's been sitting on the shelf in the shop, yet the hoodies come in at some £30-35, only half the price of the superior quality clothes that they're copying. It's become even more of a false economy than it was.
I only buy knickers and socks from Primark. I've had bad experiences with their clothes (shrinking, not fitting comfortably, shoes melting in the rain etc.). They're good if you need to dress up for fancy dress and want some cheap jewellery and stuff.
I chose primark simply because I like plain clothes. The price is secondary.
Reply 98
I love it, for the basics like vests, bags, shoes, pjs and underwear. I've also got a pair of casual jeans which cost about 7 quid and I still wear about 4 years on!
However I once went there when I was broke and bought like a couple of dresses and tops etc. I never wear these and they are sort of misshapen or badly made, I mean they look loads different to on the hanger. So for nice tops or skirts or whatever I go to slightly more expensive shops.
Reply 99
It amuses me when I see people exiting Primark with around two full bags; they're probably 'stocking up'. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending