The Student Room Group

What do you think of Primark?

Scroll to see replies

I find it's good for T shirts and it is very cheap, but I have a hoodie from there where one sleeve is longer than the other. I also find their sizing for jeans is funny, their 8s are longer than their 10s but much thinner. The size 8s are the right length for me but I can't get the button done up. Considering I'm slightly underweight I think you'd have to be anorexic to fit into the 8s. If go up a size to the 10s they fit me around the waist but are too short in the leg.
Reply 101
Original post by JamfulDodger
I completely agree in terms of the skinny jeans being properly being skin tight! Normally I get skinnies from H&M, but I went to Primark for the first time after Christmas, and for a tenner for a pair of mens jeans, they were so good!

I completely agree with the skinny jeans thing! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this! Every where else fit appallingly and I frankly can't afford anywhere like Topshop (which is overrated, and a bit generic). They last ages too - I still have pairs I bought ages ago
yes primark is only for the basics you have to spend a little more to get better quality dresses and going out clothes
Personally i don't love or hate primark, though i worked in the manchester store for nearly three years from 2007-2010....on customer services so you learn not what to buy as you do get some items that were being returned all the time hehe.

As for the quality, i don't mind it for basic stuff but some of the sizing is pretty weird imo, though i refuse to pay over the top prices for things that won't last much longer tbh.

I won't bore everyone with the companies reasons on their pricing because we had quite a few meetings regarding this and how they were moving even more towards ethical making of clothes and how they managed to keep their prices low (i.e. Low over heads, no advertising etc.)....i believe some of it is explained on their website though i can't remember if it is.

I generally only go at the none busy times so aren't surrounded by millions of people.... as for the state of the stores...it isn't like that until the customers get there !!
When I first discovered it I loved it, then I realised how crap the quality is. I'd rather pay more for something that will last more than a few days, personally.
I think it's awful. It promotes the attitude that clothes are disposable, as shown by many posters on this thread. People are buying clothes they know aren't going to last more than a few months, and that is simply unsustainable. We need to stop using so many resources on stuff we don't need and cheap fashion that allows people to buy way more clothes than they need is a major problem. Primark is by no means the only culprit - fashion thrives on the idea that we constantly need new items of clothing - but its cheapness does make the situation a lot worse.
With everyone mentioning how children suffer making the clothes for Primark.
Well its exactly the same with the other shops like TOPSHOP, M&S etc etc
They have their clothes made in the same countries maybe even in the same factory, the only difference is maybe the quality controls are a little stricter on their side than on Primarks side for a slightly (and I mean slightly) higher work pay. BUT its still children working like slaves.
These shops can put prices so high because their label is going on them. "just because its TOPSHOP"

Thats why a dress from topshop costs £50 whereas a very similar dress costs only £15-20 from Primark, because of the name.
Primark is good and I like the way they have different sizes from a size 6 to a 20. Some of my friends that want to shop in topshop, river island and H & M can't find their size. The clothes are getting better now and the prices are going up now. nevertheless primark is a good store. :smile:
Reply 108
i only buy basic tops, leggings and pjs from primark. I am the type who likes to wear kind of expensive clothes from places like reiss.
I love primark for basics... vest tops, plain tops, leggings, pumps etc. Wouldn't buy their more expensive stuff though as they tend to look a bit tacky, like plastic 'gold' buttons and so on.
I have lots of pyjamas from primark, not needed to buy any for nearly 3 years and seeing as I wear them 70% of my life, the quality is not as bad as people think IMO (although I do find sizes a bit hit and miss, and it annoys me when a tag says size 12-14, for example, when its a size 8-10.)

All of my jewelery is from there too. I have £2 necklaces that look identical to the £25 in Mikey.
I only like Primark for pyjamas, knickers and basics.
Original post by footyadd
I absolutely love Primark. Cheap clothes, decent quality. Why would I pay 20 pounds for a shirt in say Topman when I can get a just as good one in Primark for less than 5 pounds? My best buy has to have been a 4 pound pair of brogues. Yes that's right, 4 pounds!!!!!!!! I got them from the stratford westfields store just before Christmas. A friend of mine has brogues from topman which he paid 60 odd quid for. He said he is kicking himself for paying that much after seeing mine. So what are everyones thoughts on Primark?

Hate the place. Not necessarily the clothes (though I disagree with your claim that the quality is decent). Just the place. It smells cheap, it's always really busy with super long queues and the clothes are shoved in any old place wherever there's space. I only shop there if I absolutely have to, and though I can never find anything nice, my friends always seem to find nice stuff from there. Though maybe that's just cos five minutes there drives me absolutely nuts.
Firstly, people complaining about it being messy.. who messes it up, the staff or the customers?
I hate that people assume that the store is a tip because the staff don't tidy it.

Also, before people moan saying dying children make the clothes...

http://www.primarkresponse.com/panorama/primark-statement/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13794227

Did you not see this?
Reply 114
Some of the stuff is okay. I buy those white vest tops for about two pounds - they're good for about a month or so, after that they start to rip. I'm also a bit weary of some other things, I bought some leggings that ended up being as see through as tights which was pretty annoying. Nonetheless, I absolutely love the pajamas from there. They're really cheap in comparison to other stores and they do the same job.
Primark used to be even cheaper, I feel its verging on too expensive for the quality recently :smile:
Skanky...and Chinese slave trade.

I shop a lot at Burtons though. :smile:
Reply 117
Everytime I go into my local Primark, I start feeling hungry and tired. No idea why! :confused:
This is happens to me all the time and so going by this reason, I don't like Primark.
Good for a couple of staple items, worth splashing out for something really nice now and then though.
Reply 119
I wouldn't really describe see-through tshirts, weak stitching and shoes that fall apart as good quality, but if you're looking for a cheap outfit that you'll only wear once, or your shoes break in town and you need a replacement pair (as happened to me...) it's an absolute godsend.

Quick Reply

Latest