The Student Room Group

Iodine clock reaction catalyst

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheStudent.
Pretttyyy sure you need a bibliography for OCR B salters.. its on the mark scheme anyways. If you've copied and pasted graphs.. pictures.. information (even if its not word for word) then you need to say where you've got it from.

Like, when working out the arrhenius equation, you need to know what it is (cue source), what the gas constant is (cue source).. good luck! :biggrin:

LOOL ohhhh durrr sorry, yeahhh ive got all my references haha, i was just being dopey.
Reply 21
Original post by bluemax
even if the copper ions react, its okay i guess because a catalyst does participate in a reaction in order to speed it up but it should remain chemically unchanged at the end of the reaction.

I am not sure if what you are saying is correct, but the issue here is not that the catalyst doesnt work anymore but the whole experiment doesnt work. You see the iodine clock reaction relies in a colour change of the mixture from colourless to deep blue, and the yellow/brown precipitate of of the catalyst would make it really hard to spot the colour change
Reply 22
Original post by master_blaster66
im finally done with my cw, i gave my final complete coursework in today, now fingers crossed.
have you done the analyisis and evaluation yet?

did you write a lot in you analysis or is most of it just calculatations? What sort of things did you write about in ur analysis? I'm currently doing mine, I written about 4000 words still a lot to do :biggrin:
Reply 23
Hey guys, I don't know if this forum is dead and gone :P but if anyone's done this reaction and used copper sulfate as a catalyst what sort of concentration do you use? Cheers!
Reply 24
Original post by Rmatthewc
Hey guys, I don't know if this forum is dead and gone :P but if anyone's done this reaction and used copper sulfate as a catalyst what sort of concentration do you use? Cheers!

Hey its been so long from those days in 6th form, now I'm at uni and I don't remember anything about this. But I had my cw on my laptop and had a look, seems like I used 0.1 molar copper sulfate.
Reply 25
What if Copper Sulfate was used instead of K2SO4? Would the time for the appearance of blue complex, increase, decrease or no effect?
Reply 26
Original post by master_blaster66
my analysis was only 4 pages :/..and evaluation was 8...wbu

Just wondering, what volume of catalyst did you use and at what concentration?? i'm using potassium peroxodisulfate and thinking about using copper sulfate, iron sulfate and nickel sulfate for catalysts. please help :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest