The Student Room Group

Poll: Not going out drinking - what do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Wouldn't bother me at all. It doesn't bother me at all, actually. I never really go out to parties and stuff but I was out last night and a few friends of mine don't really drink, or if they do they don't drink much, so we just had a chat, laughed at what everyone else was like drunk (so funny seeing a different side to people you see every day) and danced a bit, but it was still a laugh so I can't see how it would make a difference. Nobody cared, or noticed.
Reply 41
I'm at uni now and I don't drink much or go out. Luckily the uni put me in a house with likeminded people so I have good friends who also rarely go out and don't drink loads. I have gone out clubbing once and I hated it. But I don't feel left out really as I know I have the friends I live with, in fact we are moving into a house together. I find that I have more money to spend on other things. I spend a lot of time sitting watching TV with everyone, playing singstar or just going for walks with them along the beach. It may not seem the typical student life but I enjoy it and its great fun!
A good friend of mine doesn't drink and I don't see the problem :yes:
She still goes on nights out to clubs, but just drinks coke and says she has a good time anyway and finds it amusing watching everyone making a fool out of themselves!
Reply 43
I also don't drink. Most people at the moment seem surprised and think I should do but I'd rather remember enjoying myself! I'm hoping that when I go to uni I'll find some people who also don't drink much so that I'm not constantly the only sober one.
Reply 44
Original post by Tiger Eyes
I also don't drink. Most people at the moment seem surprised and think I should do but I'd rather remember enjoying myself! I'm hoping that when I go to uni I'll find some people who also don't drink much so that I'm not constantly the only sober one.

Just so you know, it is possible to go out, drink, and still remember the night. It's all about moderation.
Reply 45
Original post by Dan1909
Just so you know, it is possible to go out, drink, and still remember the night. It's all about moderation.

Oh, I know that. Just a lot of people don't understand moderation for a while :P I don't mind others drinking, I just prefer not to myself, for various reasons.
Reply 46
Original post by Tiger Eyes
Oh, I know that. Just a lot of people don't understand moderation for a while :P I don't mind others drinking, I just prefer not to myself, for various reasons.

Yeah that's fine of course, I just see a lot of both extremes, and each are as irritating at the other.

Some people just drink so much they throw it back up everywhere and just generally piss everyone off, and some other people refuse to touch a drop of alcohol from some sort of moral belief that it will turn them into some snarling Neanderthal at the first sip.

It's fun being the middleman! :biggrin:
Original post by Killer Bean
To me, it doesnt matter at all whether a person likes to get drunk; what matters is why.

Why what? Why they don't like to get drunk? What if somebody doesn't like smoking cannabis? Taking heroin? Even taking caffeine?

Original post by Anonymise
To be honest I don't have a 'genuine' reason like religious beliefs: it's just not a lifestyle I would enjoy. I have hobbies and enjoy times with friends, but the drinking/clubbing scene is just not for me and I choose not to drink at all. Lots of people I've met struggle to understand someone not enjoying these things, which I've never understood.

Also thanks for the advice Emily :smile:

Tell me about it. Lots of people are shocked, almost offended if one doesn't go along with the status quo - I actually find that very irritating at times. Surely these young 'adults' should have learnt since they were younger that many people have many different interests etc?

What's even worse is someone I know has said of somebody not going out that he 'just doesn't understand why they're not taking part' - almost as if it's Year 8 PE! :grr: :lol:
Reply 48
I chose the second option not because I would think less of someone who chose not to drink, but because it would matter somewhat in terms of it would slightly affect the friendship, though this doesn't mean a negative effect.

Drinking and clubbing are things I enjoy doing quite often, and is something I have always done with my closest friends. If a friend at uni didn't join in with this then I wouldn't judge them for it or not be friends with them because of it and would do other things (shopping/cinema/etc) with them, but I would probably bond more with other friends who I do things in the day with and go on nights out with.

If you're a quiet person and enjoy having your own space then this would probably suit you too, as you would have friends who you would occassionally go out with, but would have plenty of your own time too.
Reply 49
Original post by Tabers
I'm at uni now and I don't drink much or go out. Luckily the uni put me in a house with likeminded people so I have good friends who also rarely go out and don't drink loads. I have gone out clubbing once and I hated it. But I don't feel left out really as I know I have the friends I live with, in fact we are moving into a house together. I find that I have more money to spend on other things. I spend a lot of time sitting watching TV with everyone, playing singstar or just going for walks with them along the beach. It may not seem the typical student life but I enjoy it and its great fun!

Keep on doing what you enjoy, you seem to enjoy things similar to me. And also continue to enjoy like-minded company - I cannot wait to move out of halls soon! :biggrin:
I used to never go out drinking, then I made friends with some really nice people and went out with them, best times ever :smile:
I don't drink or go out nearly as much as my peers: They go out most nights, i'm out maybe once or twice a week. However i live further away from campus than anyone else, and i tend to work more. This is both a practical choice (not wanting to me hungover in class etc) and a personal one (i dont like the feeling of being DRUNK). I still drink on occassion, but rarely more than 1-2, and my friends don't care either way. I respect people who have the gumption to say no to drinking/going out for whatever reasons. I find that most people don't really care, so long as you have enough social skills to be able to hold a friendship together.
I've only been truly drunk once and I made some very poor choices that I wont go into here, but since then I'll never have more than 3 bottles of cider, never shots or anything like that. I'll only drink if I genuinely enjoy the taste, which of course cuts out lager.

Quick Reply