Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Laptop or Desktop for Uni?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure which to take to Uni for my first year, a laptop or desktop.

Desktop

Pros
    • Around 800 quid cheaper
    • Bigger monitor
    • Easier to fix if something goes wrong

Cons
    • Very big so no portability

Laptop

Pros
    • Mobile

Cons
    • A lot more expensive
    • Smaller monitor or will have to dosh out more cash for an external monitor

The reason the desktop is so much cheaper is that I can build it myself, but i'll probably look like a freak in my first year if I've got like 10 boxes of parts being ordered in during my first year! (Do you think this'll be the case?)

I hate using laptops to write notes so I'll probably use a notepad anyway.

What do you guys recommend I should do?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nobody is going to judge you on your postal habits Get a desktop if you know what you're doing.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Javilionaire)
    I'm not sure which to take to Uni for my first year, a laptop or desktop.

Desktop

Pros
    • Around 800 quid cheaper
    • Bigger monitor
    • Easier to fix if something goes wrong

Cons
    • Very big so no portability

Laptop

Pros
    • Mobile

Cons
    • A lot more expensive
    • Smaller monitor or will have to dosh out more cash for an external monitor

The reason the desktop is so much cheaper is that I can build it myself, but i'll probably look like a freak in my first year if I've got like 10 boxes of parts being ordered in during my first year! (Do you think this'll be the case?)

I hate using laptops to write notes so I'll probably use a notepad anyway.

What do you guys recommend I should do?
    Depends on what your studying. But I would recommend a laptop since you can take it to places in uni or even home if your going to visit your family or friends. Also I don't know what laptops you've been searching but desktops are around £800 cheaper?, laptops are only a bit more expensive unless your thinking of buying a mac.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TLK)
    Depends on what your studying. But I would recommend a laptop since you can take it to places in uni or even home if your going to visit your family or friends. Also I don't know what laptops you've been searching but desktops are around £800 cheaper?, laptops are only a bit more expensive unless your thinking of buying a mac.
    He said he was self-building the desktop.

Anyway. I'm not in uni, but I'm taking my laptop. Easier to transport home, and I could bring it to lectures if I felt the need.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
    He said he was self-building the desktop.

Anyway. I'm not in uni, but I'm taking my laptop. Easier to transport home, and I could bring it to lectures if I felt the need.
    must have missed that part out
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Alright, any other opinions?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Laptop - just because it is mobile.
    It is so much easier to study / write essays if you are able to carry it around in your laptop. The same is true if you want to go home for the weekend. Some take it to lectures too, to take note. It's also quite handy on the train home to do "work" aka watch a DVD!!

Unless you are doing I.T or something that needs a fast computer to test software etc..... a laptop is the best option.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how much you'd need the portability of a laptop and how much of a factor cost is.
    I'd say laptop because they're more convienient. Maybe a cheaper laptop though - £800 seems crazy - I got my laptop for less than £400 and it's great.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnderPost)
    Laptop - just because it is mobile.
    It is so much easier to study / write essays if you are able to carry it around in your laptop. The same is true if you want to go home for the weekend. Some take it to lectures too, to take note. It's also quite handy on the train home to do "work" aka watch a DVD!!

Unless you are doing I.T or something that needs a fast computer to test software etc..... a laptop is the best option.
    I second that, I prefer laptops for their mobility. And I can't exactly type as well as I would like to with a desktop keyboard (the keys are too big for me now...haha).
    Plus, it's rather efficient (at multi-tasking), for £300 you can get a rather good one.
    Then it all depends on what you want to do with your computer (play games/read or take notes/listen to CDs/watch DVDs?)

So, what would you use your laptop/desktop for? Do you need or want to carry your computer around with you?

IMO it's not like the world's going to end because you have to receive 10+ boxes of computer's parts...if you want to do this, just do it !
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    id recommend a laptop ... purely for convenience and size ... why would you want some huge desktop cluttering up a small room?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a computer guy my plan is to build one pre-uni and carry my iPad to lectures for notes if I need to but it's much easier with a notepad and pen.

Plus building it from scratch as a fun element to it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Neither, technology is the greatest paradox. It only serves to make lives horrible.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The portability aspect does seem quite necessary to be honest. I won't be travelling to much a part from home during the holidays. I'm going to be doing engineering at uni so nothing too computer intensive. Obviously I'll be doing a lot of work, plus a bit of gaming and movie watching if I get any spare time.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    It has to be a laptop for the sheer practicality and mobility of it.
    Granted I prefer a good ol' desktop but its not practical when i'm going home and moving in and out
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I prefer a laptop, much more convenient for uni!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Desktop and use savings for a tablet. With some of the quadcore beasts coming out now, you'll be able to perform most tasks you want to outside your room with ease.

I recently had the same dilemma and that was my solution. Now I have an awesome computer for £400 (2.8GHz X6, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD and Radeon HD6870) and I'm just waiting on the right tablet to show up in the market to satisfy mobility. I'm not at uni until next year, but I had the money now so I thought "why not". :>
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Laptop. It's mobile. Lots of people don't take theirs to lectures (I do) but you might find you want to escape to the library with it. Useful for taking home. Also, there's no guarantee you're going to have lots of space for a desktop. Some desks are pretty small.

Also, if your accommodation requires you to move out during the holidays, that's going to be a pain.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has had to lug his massive twin monitor computer between home and Uni for 4 years - get a laptop, maybe with a second monitor.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You can get a netbook for under £200 and you can take it to lectures easy.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    A laptop is much more ideal for uni.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 9, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.