The Student Room Group

Oxford MPhil Economics 2012 Applicants

Hi everyone,

I have read threads about people applying to Cambridge's Diploma and MSc in Economics, but none about Oxford for this application cycle. So, has anybody on TSR applied to Oxford's MPhil programme in economics for entry in October 2012?

How confident are you guys about getting in, and how confident are you about getting some kind of funding?

It would be nice if you could mention your backgrounds as well. I am currently studying for an MSc in Economics in the UK, and I am on course for a distinction.

Thanks guys,

wasmalay
Reply 1
I'm applying to the Oxford MPhil in Economics, too. I have to admit, after being put on the wait list today for the Cambridge MPhil I'm feeling a lot less confident than I was yesterday.

Has anyone heard anything from the admissions department lately? I hate that there is no way to track the status of your application with Oxford. How frustrating :/

Here's my profile:

GPA: 1,3 (German scale, 1,0 is the best possible)
GRE: 800 math / 730 verbal

I'd loe to hear from other applicants!
Reply 2
Thechoker. The course structure between Oxford MPhil Economcis and the Cambridge MPhil Economics are very different.

The Oxford one is designed for people who do not necessarily have good economic background and thus the first year of the MPhil is actually fairly qualitative. On the other hand, the Cambridge MPhil is much more technical and mathematical and thus require applicants who have very strong maths, stats and econ; this is partiuclarly so for MPhil Economic Research applicants.

Being waitlisted by Cam does not mean you will be wailisted or rejectedby Ox. They are totally different things.
Reply 3
Hey Lalafell,

thanks for the info. I didn't know that the first year at Oxford is less technical. That might be good for me, because I come from a finance undergraduate major.

I just hope it isn't too non-technical! I know that the LSE Master in Economics can be taken as a two-year program as well, but the first year is basically undergraduate level econ, as far as I understand. I would want to avoid something like that...

Anyway, I just hope Oxford releases their decisions soon!!!
Reply 4
Hey, this might be of interest to some of you. A friend of mine is compiling a list of notes for undergrads on a website http://www.student-pedia.co.uk/
You might find it helpful if you need to revisit undergrad content
Reply 5
Got a rejection email for the Oxford MPhil in Economics this morning at ca. 11 AM CET. ****.
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone else heard back? To acceptances come by email too, or letter?
Reply 7
Original post by thechoker
Got a rejection email for the Oxford MPhil in Economics this morning at ca. 11 AM CET. ****.

Hey man,

I too got a rejection email, but it was earlier this week. I thought I had a decent chance of getting in, but the admissions committee has decided otherwise. I was a bit disappointed, however, I didn't let it bring me down, since Oxford was my third choice. And as people usually say, Oxbridge is not the be-all and end-all of education. There are plenty of other good universities out there, even better than Oxbridge. Try LSE, Pompeu Fabra, Tilburg, Tinbergen Institute and even CEMFI. Oxford and Cambridge are still popular, not because of the strengths of their programmes, but thanks to their reputation.

All the very best in your future studies mate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by thechoker
Got a rejection email for the Oxford MPhil in Economics this morning at ca. 11 AM CET. F*ck.

Try LSE or UCL. With the grades you have, I am sure you stand a very good chance for at least UCL and the LSE two years programs :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Lalafell

The Oxford one is designed for people who do not necessarily have good economic background and thus the first year of the MPhil is actually fairly qualitative. On the other hand, the Cambridge MPhil is much more technical and mathematical and thus require applicants who have very strong maths, stats and econ; this is partiuclarly so for MPhil Economic Research applicants.

I've picked you up on this in another thread as well but this is not true. I'll repeat what I said there:

The M.Phil aims to be roughly equivalent to the first two years of a U.S PhD and as such the first year is much tougher than the second year. You have all the core theory thrown at you and it is, as with all economics grad courses, highly technical.

The M.Phil is two years to cover more ground, not to start at a lower level.

It's definitely not advisable to target the M.Phil if you are weaker quantitatively - I would have thought it would be better to target a lower ranked department. If you don't have a good undergraduate economics degree, Oxford requires you to have a strong technical undergraduate degree (maths, engineering, physics etc.).

In the first week of the M.Phil, as with other economics masters, you have to take a maths course which covers difference equations, probability theory, static optimisation, optimal control theory and dynamic programming, and familiarity with linear algebra is obviously a prerequisite. This material is then applied throughout the first year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Budgie
I've picked you up on this in another thread as well but this is not true. I'll repeat what I said there:

The M.Phil aims to be roughly equivalent to the first two years of a U.S PhD and as such the first year is much tougher than the second year. You have all the core theory thrown at you and it is, as with all economics grad courses, highly technical.

The M.Phil is two years to cover more ground, not to start at a lower level.

It's definitely not advisable to target the M.Phil if you are weaker quantitatively - I would have thought it would be better to target a lower ranked department. If you don't have a good undergraduate economics degree, Oxford requires you to have a strong technical undergraduate degree (maths, engineering, physics etc.).

In the first week of the M.Phil, as with other economics masters, you have to take a maths course which covers difference equations, probability theory, static optimisation, optimal control theory and dynamic programming, and familiarity with linear algebra is obviously a prerequisite. This material is then applied throughout the first year.

Although Ox boasts that its MPhil is comparable to the best PhD in the States. It is not the case :frown:

You need evidence?

Just simply compare the lecture notes for the Ox MPhil with those for UCL.

Ox lecture notes can be found:

http://www.oxford-mphil.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

UCL lecture notes can be found on module moodle page. Just sign in as a guest and download the materials
Reply 11
Since I have reliable source confirming that he Cam MPhil Econmic Research covers more advanced topics than UCL MSc Economics. I am pretty sure that the Cam MPhil Economic Research is even more mathematical and tecnical than the first year Ox MPhil
Reply 12
One very simple example. Just look at the lecture note for Ox Mphil Micro preference

http://www.oxford-mphil.com/images/c/cb/Lecture1_2007.pdf

It is what people learned in the third year undergraduate
Reply 13
Original post by Lalafell
One very simple example. Just look at the lecture note for Ox Mphil Micro preference

http://www.oxford-mphil.com/images/c/cb/Lecture1_2007.pdf

It is what people learned in the third year undergraduate

Is it just the threads I happen to read, or do you have some reason to keep on going around trying to put this degree down? It's getting quite boring, frankly.
Reply 14
Original post by sj27
Is it just the threads I happen to read, or do you have some reason to keep on going around trying to put this degree down? It's getting quite boring, frankly.

Oh, boy, I think they will repeat all the same arguments here... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending