The Student Room Group

Central Saint Martins BA Jewellery Design Info Plz!!

Hi everyone, cool place you've got here. I hope that I can get much help from all of you. Please hear this desperate art student out, lol, thank you.

I'm from North America, and recently I've been getting interested in jewellery. I've tried to find many options here, but the schools were either great but way too expensive, or had many of their students complain about the lack of education they were getting. I remembered at one point, I wanted to apply for CSM but decided to go to my local art school which turned out to be a wrong move...

I'm getting tired of the lack of opportunities and the general vibe that I get around here. I think that CSM is a wonderful school due to the fact that it's located right in London, the heart of art and culture in the world, with many wonderful and inspiring graduates.

The problem is, I never had any experience in Jewellery, although I've sculpted and toyed around with materials and 3D designs before. I've taken Foundation courses here, but not at CSM. Will that drastically decrease my chance of getting into the BA Jewellery program?

And sad to say, but my secondary school marks weren't all that awesome either due to illness (I think I managed about a C in total). My overall GPA in Foundations was exactly 3.0, and I'm studying other art courses right now totally separate from the Foundations but somewhat like it because I'm going to prepare my portfolio for another program. My marks are good here so far.

I'm not too shabby in the drawing department, and I can research my materials thoroughly. I can conceptualize. I can paint. I'm not very experienced in making 3D objects but I can do it.

English wasn't my first language, so do I still have to do that language test? I mean, I've written all sorts of essays and lived in NA for the longest time, so I doubt that... but do I still have to?

I have looked at the portfolio requirements, but what is CSM looking for more, my concepts or...? Well, can I have it all in 2D (just drawings and paintings), or must I include some 3D explorations and finished materials as well? How many sketchbooks and look books should I bring? Should I bring 3D stuff in as well? Is there any limit to what I can include in my portfolio? Do I have to know how to do some metal works?

I don't exactly know how the whole interview thing goes down. So I first send in my portfolio... and then do they contact me for an interview if I'm successful or is it for everyone else?

I hope that the visa's not too difficult to get as a student...

And lastly, if I don't get in, do they automatically give me a place in the Foundations program?

Thank you for reading this! Please give me your answers, thanks!!

PS: I'm not applying for this year, but next year, btw.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
It might affect your chances to get in, you could always call them and discuss your dilemma and they'd be able to answer your question - call the course information number.

if you are a citizen of America I don't think you have to - again, don't be afraid to call them, it's better to get a certain answer then an iffy one.

Bring everything you can that shows you in a good light. For 3D works, photograph them. Metal works would be a preferred thing. (that being said, it might be more helpful to redo your foundation year at CSM doing the sculpture specific route - you do jewellery design in that.)

If you don't get in I highly doubt you would get a place automatically in the foundation diploma. It's just as competitive.

I'd recomend that if you are certain that this is what you want to do, I'd do the foundation. they'll even help with your portfolio towards the end of the year.

I hope that I was of some help.

Quick Reply

Latest