Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My friend isn't allowed to see her bf in jail on Friday...as that's Muslim prayer day

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    That's utter nonsense. You're not forcing anything on them but by not condemning such behaviour, you in fact approve it. If your friend were to behave like this and you were both Muslim, it's your duty to openly disapprove.
    it's not between them and God when it's public. I suppose you are okay with adultery too, wouldn't want to upset anyone would you? Why condemn anything at all?

I think you're a troll disguised as a 'Muslim.' In fact I'm pretty sure with your totally out of context quote of the Quran.
    Ya akhi take it easy . Firstly it was my understanding that the bf and gf were not Muslim . So although I am against there being a relationship before marriage , I cannot enforce my views on them. With regard to condemning the bf -gf relationship- I could sit here all day condemning things such as alcohol , adultery etc. But I have not been asked to do that - I have been asked to give my view on this topic .

Secondly remember if you accuse someone wrongly of something then you become what you wrongly accused . And if you have a bad doubt about your brother then you should have a bad doubt about yourself . These aren't my words .
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mub93)
    Ya akhi take it easy . Firstly it was my understanding that the bf and gf were not Muslim . So although I am against there being a relationship before marriage , I cannot enforce my views on them. With regard to condemning the bf -gf relationship- I could sit here all day condemning things such as alcohol , adultery etc. But I have not been asked to do that - I have been asked to give my view on this topic .

Secondly remember if you accuse someone wrongly of something then you become what you wrongly accused . And if you have a bad doubt about your brother then you should have a bad doubt about yourself . These aren't my words .
    I think the strong suggestion in the opening post is that at least he is Muslim. If neither is Muslim (which I doubt as the thread is trolling), then it's better to not have an opinion on the matter?

Surely your view on the topic should be she shouldn't be visiting anyway so who cares? And if it were the actual guy making the thread you'd advise him to get married or end it.obviously not as bluntly as that but that's the idea.

I think your post was very misleading and subtly accepted the bf-gf situation, and also your quote was totally out of context. Surely by posting that on a public forum you're enjoining bad rather than the opposite. Appeasing has limits.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    wtf?

Why would they stop people from visiting their miscreant loved ones on Friday because that's the day of Muslim prayer? Are we not a secular society? And what about Saturdays for the Jews, and Sundays for christians? What's with the appeasement?
    Hahaha your friend sounds like a classy girl.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everybody knows that OP is a bigot yet they still believe every word they say? Where is your evidence that this story is true? It's very likely to be a complete lie spouted just to stir up more religious hatred.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the strong suggestion in the opening post is that at least he is Muslim. If neither is Muslim (which I doubt as the thread is trolling), then it's better to not have an opinion on the matter?

Surely your view on the topic should be she shouldn't be visiting anyway so who cares? And if it were the actual guy making the thread you'd advise him to get married or end it.obviously not as bluntly as that but that's the idea.

I think your post was very misleading and subtly accepted the bf-gf situation, and also your quote was totally out of context. Surely by posting that on a public forum you're enjoining bad rather than the opposite. Appeasing has limits.
    Huh? I didn't pick up on that at all. Also, there's nothing wrong with his posts, stop being a bully...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Muslim prayer day is everyday...
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    Huh? I didn't pick up on that at all. Also, there's nothing wrong with his posts, stop being a bully...
    Yes, Muslim prayer day means Britain should shut down. Seriously ? If that's how you understood it, fine. That's even more absurd by the OP but I don't think that's what he meant because no prison would close due to a religious Sabbath day.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Muslim prayer day means Britain should shut down. Seriously ? If that's how you understood it, fine. That's even more absurd by the OP but I don't think that's what he meant because no prison would close due to a religious Sabbath day.
    I have no idea what you're talking about? I didn't say anything like that, all I said was that it wasn't implied that the guy in the OP is Muslim, and that your comments to Mub93 were kinda rude.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're Muslim? Lol
    Find it odd you are okay with the boyfriend-girlfriend situation. That's the first thing that would strike a Muslim. You clearly don't take Islam "very seriously" as you claim.

Secondly, the replies on this thread are laughably pathetic. Discrimination? Lol Come on, it's Islam bashing, you can do better than that OP!! Evidence? Source? Context? That's gotta be one of the vaguest opening posts. Yet without these many posters are quick to accept and form their own conclusions out of a deep bias (to say the least) against Islam.
    your comments are just absurd just as this thread how can you be so judgemental to your fellow Muslim ?
    who made you the religious detector ? only Allah is the one and only judge i find your responses rude
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playa10)
    So what you're saying is that we should afford special treatment to christianity, but not islam? Why should we not protect the minority? Religious discrimination is no different than racial discrimination
    That's not what I'm saying. It is a christian country though. It was originally a catholic country and having a catholic family myself I know that catholics aren't meant to eat meat on a friday. I can't actually find any hard evidence (to be completely honest) but I'm pretty sure the prisons will still serve meat on fridays. If anyone can find me a source that says prisons don't serve meat on fridays anymore then I stand corrected.

Around 70% of the country are christians and they don't get special treatment. Apart from the shops being closed on certain days of the year I can't really think of any ways in which them practicing their religion would negatively impact muslims. Whereas organizing everything around muslims causes a lot more problems. Some muslim women wear garments that cover their entire body not just head to toe but their face as well which poses big security risks and it's not like they havn't been worn by men before in order to commit crimes because they have. I heard that a building of flats had to change all it's toilets around after installing them all because apparently muslims don't like to go to the toilet facing a certain direction (towards mecca I think).

I'm not being racially discriminant, I'm just saying that there are a lot of things we allow in our society for them and we don't complain but sometimes it goes a little bit too far. I think the prison visiting hours being cancelled in favour of prayer day is an absolute outrage. If they're that easily offended by other (non muslim) people having visitors then they shouldn't have landed themselves in prison in the first place.

How would allowing people to see their loved ones in prison stop the muslims from praying anyway?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to believe 70% of this country are Christians. I suspect most of these were Christened at birth and have no other affiliation towards the religion. That doesn't count.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's utter nonsense. You're not forcing anything on them but by not condemning such behaviour, you in fact approve it. If your friend were to behave like this and you were both Muslim, it's your duty to openly disapprove.
    it's not between them and God when it's public. I suppose you are okay with adultery too, wouldn't want to upset anyone would you? Why condemn anything at all?

I think you're a troll disguised as a 'Muslim.' In fact I'm pretty sure with your totally out of context quote of the Quran.
    I think you should shut your mouth, if he/she doesn't want to force their religion on the OP and respects that they do not follow the same faith that is their choice, and an admirable one at that. You just focus on yourself and leave others to do their own thing. Faith is a personal thing, not something you should try and force upon others, and especially others who actually don't follow the same religion as you.
    In future hold your tongue, and let others be themselves, he/she was causing no harm whatsoever to you or anyone else.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmostChicGeek)
    I think you should shut your mouth, if he/she doesn't want to force their religion on the OP and respects that they do not follow the same faith that is their choice, and an admirable one at that. You just focus on yourself and leave others to do their own thing. Faith is a personal thing, not something you should try and force upon others, and especially others who actually don't follow the same religion as you.
    In future hold your tongue, and let others be themselves, he/she was causing no harm whatsoever to you or anyone else.
    Yeah stand by. Some friend you are, wouldn't even want to save your friend from a bad fate -- if that's what you believe. Disapproving of something isn't forcing it down anybody's throat. Just cos non-muslims might drink, I wouldn't go around saying "good on you old chap. Say, I hear the pub down the road has a special offer...". They are free to do it, doesn't mean I want them to-- that's hypocritical because I actually believe it's bad yet I'm encouraging them to?

Also as I said, the OP suggests at least the guy is Muslim because Friday prayers apply to Muslims. That's how I read it and that's the context in which I replied.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shezshez)
    I find it hard to believe 70% of this country are Christians. I suspect most of these were Christened at birth and have no other affiliation towards the religion. That doesn't count.
    Well that's what the 2001 census said and the results from the 2011 census don't get released until september this year. According to the 2001 census 72% of people said they were christian and only 3% said they were muslim.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not in the UK. Cannot be.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone271)
    That's not what I'm saying. It is a christian country though. It was originally a catholic country and having a catholic family myself I know that catholics aren't meant to eat meat on a friday. I can't actually find any hard evidence (to be completely honest) but I'm pretty sure the prisons will still serve meat on fridays. If anyone can find me a source that says prisons don't serve meat on fridays anymore then I stand corrected.

Around 70% of the country are christians and they don't get special treatment. Apart from the shops being closed on certain days of the year I can't really think of any ways in which them practicing their religion would negatively impact muslims. Whereas organizing everything around muslims causes a lot more problems. Some muslim women wear garments that cover their entire body not just head to toe but their face as well which poses big security risks and it's not like they havn't been worn by men before in order to commit crimes because they have. I heard that a building of flats had to change all it's toilets around after installing them all because apparently muslims don't like to go to the toilet facing a certain direction (towards mecca I think).

I'm not being racially discriminant, I'm just saying that there are a lot of things we allow in our society for them and we don't complain but sometimes it goes a little bit too far. I think the prison visiting hours being cancelled in favour of prayer day is an absolute outrage. If they're that easily offended by other (non muslim) people having visitors then they shouldn't have landed themselves in prison in the first place.

How would allowing people to see their loved ones in prison stop the muslims from praying anyway?
    I agree with you the on the bold bit....it is rather stupid.
    But to all the other claims that you have laid out, that is the product of democracy. Discrimination law is protects certain people, i.e. those who have been subjected to a disadvantage. The fact that this country is a Christian country is irrelevant. Everyone must be treated equally. Christians have Easter and Christmas as a national holiday. Everyone has to work around such times. You don't see such treatment for muslims on Eid. If everyone has to work around Christianity for certain events, why should people not be required to work around Islam for certain events? Every man is equal. So Christians should also not get special treatment for Christmas
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playa10)
    I agree with you the on the bold bit....it is rather stupid.
    But to all the other claims that you have laid out, that is the product of democracy. Discrimination law is protects certain people, i.e. those who have been subjected to a disadvantage. The fact that this country is a Christian country is irrelevant. Everyone must be treated equally. Christians have Easter and Christmas as a national holiday. Everyone has to work around such times. You don't see such treatment for muslims on Eid. If everyone has to work around Christianity for certain events, why should people not be required to work around Islam for certain events? Every man is equal. So Christians should also not get special treatment for Christmas
    Well not really... There are loads of religious festivals for all the religions. We can't have all of them as national holidays so we just have the christian ones because it's a christian country. Muslims are free to practice their religion just as we are and that's what makes it equal. I don't think it would make sense for christians to work around muslim events because according to the 2001 census (I realise it's over 10 years old but the 2011 one isn't being released until september this year) only 3% of the country said they are muslim whereas 70% said they were christian. I realise out of that 70% not all of them are practicing but I'm sure they still celebrate Christmas as most people do in this country.

Now that the Jedi church is starting to gain recognition due to the number of people declaring it in surveys etc. should we have to work around their holy days to? I'm not comparing it to the muslim faith but seen as we're meant to respect other people's religious beliefs no matter how strange they might seem to us, surely that means if we were to cater for the minorities when deciding on religious national holidays and start working around holy days for religions other than christianity, we'd have to do it for all religions?

Anyway a lot of people seem to be saying that there's no rule that says prisons don't have visitors on fridays because it's muslim prayer day. Have we misinterpreted the original post? The way it was worded sounded like she was saying it was the prison rules.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not the prison stopping her. They have set visiting times, but they aren't dictated by any religious views. :/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    wtf?

Why would they stop people from visiting their miscreant loved ones on Friday because that's the day of Muslim prayer? Are we not a secular society? And what about Saturdays for the Jews, and Sundays for christians? What's with the appeasement?
    Grow up.

Your friend is in jail, they technically should have no rights at all so consider it a privilege. Jeez.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    Hahaha your friend sounds like a classy girl.
    Because her boyfriend is in prison? You don't know anything about them, or the situation he's in. Not everyone in prison is guilty. Don't be ignorant.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 28, 2012
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.