The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton - How is it?

Scroll to see replies

MSc Social Work, completed two-thirds of it.
Some aspects of the uni were good i.e. some of student support, the accommodation, the city itself.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by JEZZ4
You're gonna spend the whole year getting exp? I would rather just spend a few summers during my degree getting some :smile: but if I do decide to take the gap year I'll probably do the same exact thing so yea hahah :tongue:

I STILL havnt heard back from sheffield.... a part of me really wants the option of swapping course but at the same time I just want them so say no hah.. so I finally pick a uni.. (soton in that case) If they say yes.. then I think I'll put sheff as my firm :O
Annnnnnnd today I realised that southampton fc will most likely be in the premier league next season! :biggrin: ..making my decision even harder -.-

Oh btw have you decided your insurance?

Yeahh - a whole year getting paid work experience :smile:

I know what you mean, if they just say no, your decision will be much more straightforward... tbh it sounds as though you want to go to southampton as it was there that you saw the mech eng department etc and the whole football thing...?

Yeah, my insurance is definitely gonna be leeds, what about you??
Reply 42
Original post by KLW
Yeahh - a whole year getting paid work experience :smile:

I know what you mean, if they just say no, your decision will be much more straightforward... tbh it sounds as though you want to go to southampton as it was there that you saw the mech eng department etc and the whole football thing...?

Yeah, my insurance is definitely gonna be leeds, what about you??

Hmm a year of PAID work exp. sounds real nice..
I emailed sheff again.. so they'll probably gimme an answer mon/tue? idk I just want to pick a uni fast and get accommodation and finance sorted :tongue:
Leeds is really good! got a friend going there to do physics.. O and my insurance is (civil) at nottingham but I dont think I'll get grades below my sheff/soton offer.. :cool: hah
btw have you decided yet?
Reply 43
Original post by syuuki
That's one of the main factors for me to go to Soton :tongue: If you're also going maybe we can watch football together haha?

lol maybee!! but I also realised that I'll be a student.. meaning I'll be living in poverty so I cant see myself coughing up 40 quid just like that hahah
Reply 44
Original post by Gutsman
Went to the university. Was alright. Not too nice a city to live in though. Only main problem is that the university students are mostly posh, privately educated, and I felt like I didn't belong there a lot of the time due to being from a humble background.

Ummm, the vast majority of the people I know are either from the state system or Grammar Schools... Very few of those that I have met are from public schools (BTW, I am privately educated, and it doesn't necessarily mean you're 'posh')
Reply 45
Original post by AndyG
Ummm, the vast majority of the people I know are either from the state system or Grammar Schools... Very few of those that I have met are from public schools (BTW, I am privately educated, and it doesn't necessarily mean you're 'posh')

Err, course it does. Most families don't earn near enough to pay £15,000/year on tuition fees for private schools. Many working-class families bare live on £15,000/year. If you're privately educated, you're posh and from an extremely privileged upper-end of the wealth chart.
whats the soton nightlife like? :smile: x
Reply 47
Original post by georgiaselenax
whats the soton nightlife like? :smile: x

Whatever you make of it. Whatever you want is there. I love it. :smile:
yay I'm excited. I mean there are enough pubs and clubs right? god, I sound like a total nutcase, all i'm interested in is what the social and nightlife is like, major decising factor x
Reply 49
Original post by Gutsman
Err, course it does. Most families don't earn near enough to pay £15,000/year on tuition fees for private schools. Many working-class families bare live on £15,000/year. If you're privately educated, you're posh and from an extremely privileged upper-end of the wealth chart.

Have you heard of scholarships or bursaries? I had one myself, and while I wouldn't consider my family poor, they are by no means rich and could no way afford to send me to a private school without a scholarship/bursary. Anyways, the word 'posh' implies snobbery, something which I, in the large part, did not experience at my school or my time at uni. Of course there's the occasional idiot, but they were mostly all nice, down to earth people, and just because they're parents had money does not mean they automatically look down on those who are from less fortunate backgrounds
Reply 50
Original post by georgiaselenax
yay I'm excited. I mean there are enough pubs and clubs right? god, I sound like a total nutcase, all i'm interested in is what the social and nightlife is like, major decising factor x

It's pretty good. Portswood is the main student area, with student prices (highlights include 50p pints at jesters on a Monday, and £1.50 triples at Sobar on a Tuesday :biggrin:). Bedford Place is nearer the city centre, and although while more expensive, they are generally nicer 'clubs', plus there's quite a large variety music to match you're tastes (i.e. not just chart/pop music). There are also clubs in the city centre itself, although to be honest I haven't been down there much yet, Pwood and Bedford are both great areas! :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by AndyG
It's pretty good. Portswood is the main student area, with student prices (highlights include 50p pints at jesters on a Monday, and £1.50 triples at Sobar on a Tuesday :biggrin:). Bedford Place is nearer the city centre, and although while more expensive, they are generally nicer 'clubs', plus there's quite a large variety music to match you're tastes (i.e. not just chart/pop music). There are also clubs in the city centre itself, although to be honest I haven't been down there much yet, Pwood and Bedford are both great areas! :smile:

And not forgetting the social side of first year halls or even SUSU. :biggrin:
Reply 52
Original post by JEZZ4
lol maybee!! but I also realised that I'll be a student.. meaning I'll be living in poverty so I cant see myself coughing up 40 quid just like that hahah

I already saved-up $ for at least 2 matches :P

Original post by Gutsman

My parent both retired and I would not considered my family is rich. I've been working for 4 years to save $
Reply 53
Original post by JEZZ4
Hmm a year of PAID work exp. sounds real nice..
I emailed sheff again.. so they'll probably gimme an answer mon/tue? idk I just want to pick a uni fast and get accommodation and finance sorted :tongue:
Leeds is really good! got a friend going there to do physics.. O and my insurance is (civil) at nottingham but I dont think I'll get grades below my sheff/soton offer.. :cool: hah
btw have you decided yet?

Yeah, i'm looking forward to it :smile:
Just keep pestering them and they should eventually reply... mm yeah the sooner you choose the more choice you get and time to sort everything

I really like Leeds, and tbh wouldnt mind going there, but no still haven't decided betwwen soton or sheffield, although I might be leaning towards soton now...
Ah nottingham? I really liked the sound of the course but the department didn't seem right for me, but yeah...
Are you now more set on sheffield??
Reply 54
Original post by KLW
Yeah, i'm looking forward to it :smile:
Just keep pestering them and they should eventually reply... mm yeah the sooner you choose the more choice you get and time to sort everything

I really like Leeds, and tbh wouldnt mind going there, but no still haven't decided betwwen soton or sheffield, although I might be leaning towards soton now...
Ah nottingham? I really liked the sound of the course but the department didn't seem right for me, but yeah...
Are you now more set on sheffield??

I AM set on sheffield.. they finally replied and changed my offer to mech eng.. and tbh (in my opinion) southampton has a lot more falults than sheffield and the only reason I considered it was because it was ranked higher overall :tongue:
Im past that now!! I think Im gonna have an amazing time at sheffield!!! hahah

Im gonna try and make you recondsider from pickin soton..
Ok, so, the dept for civil will not get a lot of funding when compared to mech and aero and definately electronic/comp sci.. The student satisfaction is always higher at sheffield.. sheffield has better links with industry + higher employment rate.. what elseee......
the accomodation was amazing at sheffield.. soton not so much...
sheffield has the mappin building!! lol
night life better at sheff.. annnd they have the best student union.. anddd.. life at sheffield is much cheaper, so your student dept wont me as high? :smile:
o and guess who won the Times uni of the year last year? wooo!!
I feel my points are a little biased. :rolleyes:
but yea.. im guessing its the campus thing that keeps you wanting to go soton..
Reply 55
Original post by JEZZ4
I AM set on sheffield.. they finally replied and changed my offer to mech eng.. and tbh (in my opinion) southampton has a lot more falults than sheffield and the only reason I considered it was because it was ranked higher overall :tongue:
Im past that now!! I think Im gonna have an amazing time at sheffield!!! hahah

Im gonna try and make you recondsider from pickin soton..
Ok, so, the dept for civil will not get a lot of funding when compared to mech and aero and definately electronic/comp sci.. The student satisfaction is always higher at sheffield.. sheffield has better links with industry + higher employment rate.. what elseee......
the accomodation was amazing at sheffield.. soton not so much...
sheffield has the mappin building!! lol
night life better at sheff.. annnd they have the best student union.. anddd.. life at sheffield is much cheaper, so your student dept wont me as high? :smile:
o and guess who won the Times uni of the year last year? wooo!!
I feel my points are a little biased. :rolleyes:
but yea.. im guessing its the campus thing that keeps you wanting to go soton..

AHHH!! Well done :smile: at least you've made your decision now so have you firmed yet??

I still don't know but all of the points you've listed are strong reasons for me to go to sheffield and I really liked it, it's just the aspect that southampton does the constructionarium project (where you go away for a week and do scaled-down versions of the gherkin, milau viaduct etc...) and I know know what would benefit me more... Architecture or French?? I just want to decide :/
Reply 56
Original post by KLW
AHHH!! Well done :smile: at least you've made your decision now so have you firmed yet??

I still don't know but all of the points you've listed are strong reasons for me to go to sheffield and I really liked it, it's just the aspect that southampton does the constructionarium project (where you go away for a week and do scaled-down versions of the gherkin, milau viaduct etc...) and I know know what would benefit me more... Architecture or French?? I just want to decide :/

Haven't firmed just yet.. but I think I'll do it soon :tongue:
Yea I remember them talking bout the project.. pretty fun BUT your're able to spend a whole year in France if you go sheff! :smile:
PLUS.. I heard that civil with arch has a MASSIVE workload and to be fair.. I know quite a few architects by profession who are jobless.. so if I took civil, I'd personally stick with the engineering side (ie the maths)
At the end of the day its your decision and I dont think I'll make the slightest impact on your decision.. :biggrin: so yea.. good luck making the choice :wink:
Reply 57
Original post by JEZZ4
Haven't firmed just yet.. but I think I'll do it soon :tongue:
Yea I remember them talking bout the project.. pretty fun BUT your're able to spend a whole year in France if you go sheff! :smile:
PLUS.. I heard that civil with arch has a MASSIVE workload and to be fair.. I know quite a few architects by profession who are jobless.. so if I took civil, I'd personally stick with the engineering side (ie the maths)
At the end of the day its your decision and I dont think I'll make the slightest impact on your decision.. :biggrin: so yea.. good luck making the choice :wink:

Good good,
Yeah, I wanna spend the year in france (which I can do at Southampton aswell :P )

I have thought about the work load with architecture, apparently there is like 20% more work meaning I wouldnt have any spare time for french

I still have time to decide, but I just don't want to make the wrong decision... But thank you for your pro's and con's because everyone just assumes sheffield is better.. maybe it is..?
Reply 58
Hey - I am from Southampton (well just outside) and I am starting at the university this year. Hope to meet some of you there
Original post by shon3n jump
A new Pop & Geog'er eh, feel free to ask any questions about that particular course, there aren't many of us.

Hi,

I have applied to population and geography and have been made an offer of ABB. I originally wanted to read BA Geog but have offers of AAB, and I am more likely to attain the lower offer.

I would just like to find out how this course is, e.g is it enjoyable, how are the class sizes, people...

Sorry it's been like 2 years, but anyway help would be appreciated, and it probably means you've experienced more of it.

Many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending