The Student Room Group

Anyone doesn't find Math HL hard?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rohana
Truly said sire, truly said **** IB. I did "sets and relations" too. Bloody irritating.
I will tell how to get out of that. Pay zilch attention to what they teach you at school. Study whatever option you want to study and write the paper for that. No one can stop you. Also I know very many people who got into very good universities (like "Oxbridge") without Math HL.

I would, but I'm just 2 months from the exams, and I'm procrastinating like a scrub. I make so many mistakes in my exams and I really need to work on that. Thanks for the advice though; I'm much better at Physics and Chemistry so they will keep my grade up hopefully.
Original post by shirley0y
I'm in the second year of the IBDP and I do Math SL. I like math quite a lot and do well in it, usually getting above 90% (sometimes as high as 98%) in tests/past papers, and the points missed are almost always just because of some careless mistakes.

Does this mean I would be able to cope with Math HL fine with a little more hard work, possibly even getting a 7 in it? Sometimes I wish I had chosen Math HL instead of SL. I plan to self-study the HL parts after the May exams for fun (yes, I'm quite a nerd lol) and also so that I can take more advanced Math courses at college (assuming I go to the US, that is).

Just wondering if it's as hard as many say it is.

I personally wouldn't self study. Maths HL is hard and some concepts will require a very good tutor to explain it to you. I did Maths HL and further maths SL in 2003-2005. When I started uni in 2006, there were some concepts that Maths students in 1st year of uni hadn't covered and so a few of times had to explain some that were still vaguely fresh in my head to them (principles of Strong/weak induction, graph theory, taylor and maclaurin expansions). I don't doubt, you will cope, but I think it would be wise to have some tutoring, because the minute you don't understand something or you concentration drops , you'll procrastinate and try and avoid the topic (per human nature)
Reply 22
Original post by ShredMaster
Oh sorry, I thought that guy meant mathematics related courses such as economics, accounting, engineering etc.

I've applied to Economics with only SL Maths and have all five offers and from reasonably respected universities (Glasgow, Sheffield, Leeds, Cardiff, Aberdeen). I reckon a 6 in SL Maths isn't far at all from an A in A Level maths, even if in ability rather than syllabus content. It's possible, but universities that prefer Further Maths in addition to Maths probably wouldn't have considered me.
Original post by Harve
I've applied to Economics with only SL Maths and have all five offers and from reasonably respected universities (Glasgow, Sheffield, Leeds, Cardiff, Aberdeen). I reckon a 6 in SL Maths isn't far at all from an A in A Level maths, even if in ability rather than syllabus content. It's possible, but universities that prefer Further Maths in addition to Maths probably wouldn't have considered me.

You must be doing the BA in economics at Sheffield. It's not as strong compared to the Bsc.
The fact of the matter is that you need HL maths to do a Bsc in economics.
I agree very much so that a 6 in SL maths is similar to A level maths, but universities in the UK don't see it that way.
Reply 24
Hi everyone! I'm new here.. I actually decided to join cuz I feel like i really need some advises..I'm doing Math HL, and I really need to get a 7. One Major question , does the Oxford Math HL book has a lot of type-os in it? Cuz i'm on the verge of slighting my veins over here:frown:... And also, if I used to really enjoy Math, but now a basically loath it, would Sets be a better option than derivatives for Options paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending