Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Artist - Did it live up the hype?

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I watched the film recently and after much hype and praise from the media and everyone else around me, I was left disappointed by the film! What did you all think?
    I wrote a small article about it, let me know what you think!

http://cinematicfocus.wordpress.com/.../28/theartist/

Thanks

• 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen it, but I will do now that it's won so many prizes. I can't help wonder whether that's simply because it's a semi-successful attempt at doing something different, and hasn't won based entirely on the merits of the film itself. I wonder how successful it would have been in the 1920s when there was nothing but silent films.

I shouldn't judge before I've seen it but I can just imagine myself getting bored.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I saw it just before the hype really hit but I have to admit I adored it.

It's funny, charming, beautifully shot and designed and it felt wonderful to watch a film that treated you like you were an intelligent human being. yes it was techincally a silent film, but when they did use it I though it was done very well, the bit when sound comes in but George Valentin can't speak is brilliant.

If you're a film fan like me who loves all the old Hollywood movies and knows singing in the Rain off by heart then it's the perfect film and I have no doubt that when I get the DVD it'll end up being one of my most watched.

I can see why it might not work for some people, but honestly I left the cinema grinning from ear to ear and it's not often that happens.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to say no.

More often then not the films that do well at the awards are actually quite ****.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    The fact that such a film could even get major financing when it's such a gamble commercially implies to me that the source material must be incredibly strong and they knew from the beginning it would sweep the awards season. Its time of release suggests that's the case also. If you tried to pitch a mediocreblack and white silent film to a studio there isn't a ****ing chance you'd get financed so personally I am excited to see it.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mccarroll)
    What did you all think?
    J'ai adoré le film!!!

I have to say that Dujardin was magnifique in the film, it is most certainly a day one blu-ray purchase
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mccarroll)
    Hi,
    I watched the film recently and after much hype and praise from the media and everyone else around me, I was left disappointed by the film! What did you all think?
    I LOVED it. Every minute of it. I'd say it truly deserved the 5 oscars. The actor in the leading role was one of the 'coolest' characters I've ever seen. The girl too was so full of life. I'm most definitely going to add this to my PERSONAL collection.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    got bored within a couple of secs into the trailer lol.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I loved it, thought it was really charming. I think it's sad that so many people say they think they'll find it boring, that never even occurred to me and I knew I wanted to see it as soon as I saw the trailer.

The actors (Dujardin in particular) are so classically attractive and it's refreshing to see less of the 'Hollywood types.' It will definitely be a blu-ray purchase of mine!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    didn't think it was that great
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Historophilia)

If you're a film fan like me who loves all the old Hollywood movies and knows singing in the Rain off by heart then it's the perfect film .
    How dare you mention The Artist and Singing in the Rain in the same sentence. The Artist had very little charm and I felt like it was trying too hard. I was bored quite frequently.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    How dare you mention The Artist and Singing in the Rain in the same sentence. The Artist had very little charm and I felt like it was trying too hard. I was bored quite frequently.
    What? :eek: The Artist is simply a modern classic about the classics... I think it holds up well against the films of France and Hollywood past... especially in regards to silent films, I suppose you have to like silent films just as much as the "talkies"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it was a really beautiful film, however the plot was very predictable and i couldn't empathise with any of the characters (when the guy was about to kill himself i actually kind of wanted him too - maybe that's just because i'm heartless though).. still, it's a silent film from 2012 and the cinematography and structure of it is really lovely.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosehx)
    it was a really beautiful film, however the plot was very predictable and i couldn't empathise with any of the characters (when the guy was about to kill himself i actually kind of wanted him too - maybe that's just because i'm heartless though).. still, it's a silent film from 2012 and the cinematography and structure of it is really lovely.

Agree with this, I found the character really hard to relate to, and I couldn't even start to feel sorry for him. But yes the cinematography was beautiful, really well shot.

I think The Artist was a film I really wanted to enjoy, and perhaps tried too hard to enjoy, and then expectations were raised too high. It will not, however, be entering my DVD collection!
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I actually really enjoyed it. I did wonder about the silence of it - I love well-written, witty dialogue, and obviously this wouldn't really be having any of that - but they did it very well indeed. The plot was easy to follow, I didn't feel like I was counting down the time until it was over, and moreover it was just wonderful to look at. It felt a little like, because action was so important, the whole thing was more like a dance. Movement to music.

I was definitely glad I went.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was great (even though throughout most of it there was a load of background noise coming from the screen next door - minor gripe), but I would like to see it again in maybe a couple of months when there's less hype surrounding it... I really enjoyed it, but I'm just sick of hearing about it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was absolutely charming, with an excellent soundtrack, and a thoroughly brilliant cast.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    the sense of irony was not lost me. silent films are boring.

its hard to tell if its life immatating art or art immatating life.

eitherway that was a long hour and a half.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It was a very enjoyable film, but it never hit me in any awe-inspiring way. It was kind of like eating some candyfloss, it tastes nice when you eat it, but when you finish if feels like haven't really eaten anything at all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I asked my girlfriend if she wanted to watch... she said no... I won't cry

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 26, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.