Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Considering not voting at the next election

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leapandi)
    However they also have to record the percentage of spoiled ballot papers which effectively shows that you are not happy with any of the parties.

Equally, protest votes for extremist parties can be interpreted as apathy.

Not voting at all can be a way of showing hapathy where a constituent is happy with the current political situation.

I also think that someone who doesn't vote has no legitimacy to comment on any of the actions of the current government.
    This exactly. Don't vote, don't complain.

Go and spoil your ballot if you are that unhappy.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think what you've said is very valid, but I think that it would still be a good idea to vote because then at least it could help prevent parties like BNP doing well.

Perhaps I'm just a bit idealistic because the next election will be the first one I've been old enough to vote in, hence I'm relishing the chance.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not voting is a vote for the party/candidate you don't want or least prefer.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you really don't like any of the candidates you should spoil your ballot paper. This sends a message that you don't like politics in this country rather than you don't care.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The thing with politicians is that they will say anything to get in power. Once they are actually in power they will break all their promises and you are then stuck with them for five years.

As an interesting thought, what would happen if there was 0% turnout (not saying it would ever happen, but what if). Would we go back to being ruled by queeny?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Elections are, from an economic perspective, completely irrational. You are more likely to get by a car on your way to a voting booth than you are to make a difference in an election.

It makes more sense, in the current political system, to not bother voting and just be a lobbyist (or pay someone to lobby for you). Voting is for retards.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leapandi)
    However they also have to record the percentage of spoiled ballot papers which effectively shows that you are not happy with any of the parties.

Equally, protest votes for extremist parties can be interpreted as apathy.

Not voting at all can be a way of showing hapathy where a constituent is happy with the current political situation.

I also think that someone who doesn't vote has no legitimacy to comment on any of the actions of the current government.

I have followed so many political programs on TV or radio where politicians mock people who spoil their votes as morons . Equally votes for minority/non mainstream parties are regarded as wasted votes so the same outcome really

So are you saying I have no legitimacy commenting on governmental policies that may affect my life because I did not vote/appoint them? What is the logic here? You are the one who elected/appointed those dishonest and self -serving politicians and so what gives you more right to criticise them as to me you are just as responsible for their misdemeanors. Voters should be more responsible for the acions of their officials. I would have more rights to criticise them as a citizen than you since I did not naively fall for their lies and did not elect them!!! Can you please tell me where I might be wrong according to you?:confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agenda Suicide)
    This exactly. Don't vote, don't complain.

Go and spoil your ballot if you are that unhappy.

As I asked earlier. Please expand and explain to me the logic. You elected those corrupt and self serving politicians and if and when they muck up, you are just as guilty as they are. Hearing you complain will simply seem like crocodile tears!!!I think the person who has not fallen for the BS has clean hands and has more more rights to complain and should be heard and respected.

As for spoiling your vote, politicians simply don't care and will jokingly mock at you so I might as well vote for the Monster Raving Loony Party or Libdems again!!! Its simply pointless and will only increase turn out and legitimacy for the same politicians.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkeevin)
    As I asked earlier. Please expand and explain to me the logic. You elected those corrupt and self serving politicians and if and when they muck up, you are just as guilty as they are. Hearing you complain will simply seem like crocodile tears!!!I think the person who has not fallen for the BS has clean hands and has more more rights to complain and should be heard and respected.

As for spoiling your vote, politicians simply don't care and will jokingly mock at you so I might as well vote for the Monster Raving Loony Party or Libdems again!!! Its simply pointless and will only increase turn out and legitimacy for the same politicians.
    They don't call every situation right, guaranteed. Clearly in this democracy we live in though, people are happy otherwise they wouldn't be getting the votes to stay in. Enough people spoil a ballot and it sends a message.

I'd like to remind you I have no respect for somebody who thinks they are respectable for not voting, if anything that is the worst thing. That is backing down from the table, not respectable, no admirable, embarassing. People died for your freedoms, stop bitching about it and use it.

Of course if you can do such a good job, can lead us out of this chaos like you appear to be so self-centred and righteous you think you can, then write up a manifesto and form a party, pay £500 and contest the next election, recruit some who also believe in your ideals. You will be in the commons in no time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They don't call every situation right, guaranteed. Clearly in this democracy we live in though, people are happy otherwise they wouldn't be getting the votes to stay in. Enough people spoil a ballot and it sends a message.

I'd like to remind you I have no respect for somebody who thinks they are respectable for not voting, if anything that is the worst thing. That is backing down from the table, not respectable, no admirable, embarassing. People died for your freedoms, stop bitching about it and use it.

Of course if you can do such a good job, can lead us out of this chaos like you appear to be so self-centred and righteous you think you can, then write up a manifesto and form a party, pay £500 and contest the next election, recruit some who also believe in your ideals. You will be in the commons in no time.

People have different ways of sending a message. I feel that not voting is also a strong political message I am sending to the politicians. People are free to vote for the same politicians they whose actions they claim to despise, I just think it is hypocritical of them criticising those very same politicians they elected but deny us non voters that freedom of speech they award to themselves.

You free to be judgemental and sanctimonious to people who feel differently to you about elections and politicians. But you gave no valid arguments. 'People died for our freedoms' common you know people have equally died for thousands of other 'noble' causes such as invading India, South Africa, right to bear arms, kamikaze Japanese, Irish,Palestinian,Israel Independence, islamic terrorism etc. Do you think I give a damn about the fact our ancestors died so that India or South Africa became part of the empire? They fought their fights(in vain?) and we fight ours. i don't feel my vote adds anything in our context

Most of us have no political aspirations. However we do fight for causes we believe in strongly enough by campaining, lobbying, donnating, volunteering etc. You don't need to be in public office or form a political party in order to contribute to our society or cast a vote in a ballot.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    People have different ways of sending a message. I feel that not voting is also a strong political message I am sending to the politicians. People are free to vote for the same politicians they whose actions they claim to despise, I just think it is hypocritical of them criticising those very same politicians they elected but deny us non voters that freedom of speech they award to themselves.

You free to be judgemental and sanctimonious to people who feel differently to you about elections and politicians. But you gave no valid arguments. 'People died for our freedoms' common you know people have equally died for thousands of other 'noble' causes such as invading India, South Africa, right to bear arms, kamikaze Japanese, Irish,Palestinian,Israel Independence, islamic terrorism etc. Do you think I give a damn about the fact our ancestors died so that India or South Africa became part of the empire? They fought their fights(in vain?) and we fight ours. i don't feel my vote adds anything in our context

Most of us have no political aspirations. However we do fight for causes we believe in strongly enough by campaining, lobbying, donnating, volunteering etc. You don't need to be in public office or form a political party in order to contribute to our society or cast a vote in a ballot.
    You feel that, but it's not though.

Send them a letter, atleast an e-mail, not voting just makes them gain greater legitimacy when they do win. I don't know, do I care, no. People die for bad causes, people die for good ones, you are effectively saying that you don't care either way , damn them selfish soldiers who threw their lives into a nazi bloodbath for a free world, damn on par with islamic fundamentalists.

I'm not saying you do, but you seem so self-assured and righteous as previously mentioned, I was just tossing out the idea. We believe in a certain cause or ideology, not a despise of the voting system.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think everybody should vote at elections. If you don't, then you'll support even more the 'non-democratic society' you are talking about and will let others decide for you.

I can tell you that having many different parties is not the best thing ever, as no one really govern the country and there are too many alliances that make reforms come out slowly.
    I am Italian, so I'm speaking about this because I have to cope with it every day.

I agree with the second half of your post.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think that? Politicians hate voter apathy. Most politicians will infactbeg you to go to vote for any party at all just so that they can boast of a high turnout and claim greater legitimacy when usually their share of votes represent often only 20% of their constituency. Writing 'None of the above' renders your vote null and void so similar to not bothering at all.
    yes but at least your register your protest like people did in the Speaker's seat.
    if you dont vote it allows politicians to carry on as normal and rellying on party workers and intrest groups to get them elected.

a Politician wont care if he has won by 5% or 50% he will behave as if he won by 99%
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tbh in comparison to most other nations our government is pretty good. If you don't like their ideology then vote on results. The least bad option is still worth voting for.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can those who say the present band of politicians are corrupt and self-serving, can you offer an alternative system that will prevent this?

If you do, then we can work on implementing it. Otherwise you're complaining about something unavoidable, and shouldn't be upset.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spoil you ballot paper, on the off chance the counters will consider is spoilt.

I drew a hat-wearing giraffe playing croquet on my last general election ballot paper.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow who spreads this ridiculous saying? It makes me facepalm and facepalm even more that two people have thumbed it up.

One huge problem with politics is that people aren't educated in it and have no idea at all what exactly happens in politics.

After the election, the party who gains a majority of seats (or forms a coalition to gain this) is formally asked by the queen to form a government on behalf of the people. So of course the government gets in.

That's like saying, I don't vote in my constituency, MPs always get in.

No ****.
    I might be wrong, but I got the impression it was a joke...like implying that every government is generally terrible regardless of who gets voted in.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The truth about voting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igbBItLemsM
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think that so many women faught for so long to get us the vote that I should vote, even if I only spoil the ballot paper. I also think that we are fortunate to have the opertunity to vote - and so for that reason I would always vote - but if I really didn't want to vote for any party - then I would spoil my paper.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirtyoldriver)
    I might be wrong, but I got the impression it was a joke...like implying that every government is generally terrible regardless of who gets voted in.
    Yes but it doesn't make any sense at all...

It doesn't make any sense, it's like going, no matter where I go running, I go running. Obviously.

I suppose it appeals to those who have no idea what politics is about.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 28, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.