The Student Room Group

Are Bmw 1 series cheap to run

Are bmw cheap to run , what are the average car cost. Would it be expensive for 21 year old?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you've to ask chances are you can't afford it.
Reply 2
In plain terms, all cars are expensive to run these days. Although, some more than others.
You can arm yourself with some information by getting yourself some insurance quotes and researching how much it'll cost you at the pumps every 500 miles.
Servicing bills are likely to be higher than the typical hatchbacks on the basis that BMW parts are more expensive. That said, if you do your own servicing you can cut costs a little here.
On the other hand, because it's a BMW it'll likely hold it's value a little better against other options from, say, vauxhall or renault.

Beyond that, why not peruse autotrader and see if you are able to pick something up within budget?

Lastly, I was always taught if you want something badly enough you'll work hard until you get it.
Reply 3
Original post by markread45
Are bmw cheap to run , what are the average car cost. Would it be expensive for 21 year old?

This has to be a joke question? Right? Of course a BMW is expensive to run, expsenvie to insure, expensive for fuel, expensive for parts, if anything goes wrong....
Reply 4
Original post by jfinney94
This has to be a joke question? Right? Of course a BMW is expensive to run, expsenvie to insure, expensive for fuel, expensive for parts, if anything goes wrong....

They are cheaper to finance than an equivelent vauxhall, though.
Most people aren't aware of that.
Reply 5
i don't know anything until i get some figures pls.

I got £6000 for the car insurance is £1500 and running cost for one year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jfinney94

Bit of a stupid thing to say. MPG is MPG, some of the diesel 1-series have pretty damn good MPG, and the petrol engines aren't bad. As for them being more expensive to insure, no they're not, it's cheaper for me to insure a BMW 335i, the top of the range petrol BMW 3-series than it is for me to insure some models of the Corsa.
Reply 7
i don't know anything i get some figures pls.

Do you currently drive? It'd be easier to compare costs to what you currently experience than otherwise.
Reply 8
Buying my first car prefer bmw 1 series
Reply 9
1 Series is a truly awful drive, had a go in one before I got the S2k and for something RWD it is truly abysmal. The steering is wooly and vague and the car is massively underpowered in most forms.

It is not really a BMW...

For the money, I would get a Mini or Focus which are far superior to drive. Or an S2000, but insurance would kill you or you won't get insured at all as a first time buyer, lol! :biggrin:

Or better yet, you could get a nearly new Toyota Aygo with group 1 insurance for the money and they are a hoot to drive and mega reliable, good mpg and well built.
Reply 10
mini for girls, toyota for old people. Bmw series is a classycar
Reply 11

If you want a decent BMW get a 3 series.
Reply 12
Well if it's a 1 series and nothing else will do, the cost is immaterial, then!
Reply 13
I want a car which will look sexy
Reply 14
I want a car which will look sexy

Then stay away from a 1-series! :biggrin:

In all seriousness, they're more expensive to run than an equivalent sized hatchback, but if it's the car you want, then work out if you can afford it and go for it. There's nothing wrong with paying more for something to get what you want, rather than the cheapest option.
Reply 15

So your saying old people drive this?...s]

Reply 16

Its also for people who think they're better than everyone else and have no idea what the indicator stalk does.

Anyway, if your asking whether a BMW 1 series is cheap to run then you're looking at the wrong car. Insurance probably isn't cheap, servicing and other maintenance costs again probably not cheap and fuel economy is only good if you go for the diesel options.
Reply 17

I'm 19 and drive a Toyota. It's the tits. :mad:
Reply 18

The bottom of the range, smallest, cheapest, nastiest BMW is a classy car? It's a joke and other BMW drivers laugh at your poverty spec car. Have fun with that.
Reply 19
You basically answered your own question when you said "BMW".

Quick Reply