Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EXTREMELY oily skin! HELP!!

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My skin is awful. I have massive pores, my skin is really dry but the biggest problem is the oiliness. I can keep the dryness at bay with a rich moisturiser but it's so oily, nothing works. I just thank the powers that be that I'm not acne prone as well.

This is my routine:
    1) Exfoliate with St Ives apricot scrub every day (I know you're not supposed to but I can't avoid it because of dry skin)
    2) Avene soapless cleanser
    3) Nivea moisturising cream for combination/oily skin
    4) Avene anti-shine lotion
    5) Barbara Daly flawless primer
    6) Urban Decay De-Slick spray
    7) Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation for combination/oily skin
    8) Urban Decay spray again
    9) 17 Shine Control loose powder

Within an hour of putting my makeup on, it starts to get sticky with oil and then I blot it with oil-absorbing sheets, but after that it just gets really oily again very quickly. It's so annoying having to run off to the bathroom every half an hour to blot my skin. It messes up my foundation and makes it look horrible why is it that literally NOTHING works?! What am I doing wrong? It makes me so depressed and I just hate it so much. Help should I see a dermatologist?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    My skin is awful. I have massive pores, my skin is really dry but the biggest problem is the oiliness. I can keep the dryness at bay with a rich moisturiser but it's so oily, nothing works. I just thank the powers that be that I'm not acne prone as well.

This is my routine:
    1) Exfoliate with St Ives apricot scrub every day (I know you're not supposed to but I can't avoid it because of dry skin)

Within an hour of putting my makeup on, it starts to get sticky with oil and then I blot it with oil-absorbing sheets, but after that it just gets really oily again very quickly. It's so annoying having to run off to the bathroom every half an hour to blot my skin. It messes up my foundation and makes it look horrible why is it that literally NOTHING works?! What am I doing wrong? It makes me so depressed and I just hate it so much. Help should I see a dermatologist?
    Stop wearing makeup for a while, and use basic face wash and nothing else. See what your skin is like after a while of that (use a small amount of moisturiser) - there is no way all of that crap is good for your skin.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stop using so many products, I use a cream cleaner and a moisturiser. That is it, and my skin is neither spotty, oily or dry.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    I recommend Benefit's Balancing Act foundation that stops the shine from oil, and moisturises the dry bits. It's a great foundation.

Use that and a very light moisturiser like the ones from Simple.

Use nothing else and see how it goes.

edit: Why neg? I have exactly the same problem and this is the only thing that's made a difference for me.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:

This is my routine:

Use fewer products, do some aerobic exercise for at least half an hour every other day and address your diet if needs be. Your skin's probably going mental trying to wash the product off your face.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    use less products!! ive heard good things about Milk of Magnesia... it's meant to be a miracle cure for oily skin. i tried it (but bought the mint-flavoured one instead of the original formula, ick!)... it didnt do much for me but i only tried it a few times and gave up pretty quickly.

i think a major reason i get oily skin is the amount of awful food i eat. too much sugar and rubbish, not enough fruit or protein and dont drink enough water. i think if i changed my diet, it might improve my skin. maybe if you eat badly too this could be part of the problem?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to lie to you, and I'm not 'trolling' or whatever :rolleyes:
    But i have kind of oily skin as well and actually i read somewhere that putting oil on your skin can help reduce the amount of oil you produce naturally...
    I've been doing that myself and it seems to be working. I don't know about extreme cases but its something to try
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forget that)
    But i have kind of oily skin as well and actually i read somewhere that putting oil on your skin can help reduce the amount of oil you produce naturally...
    I've been doing that myself and it seems to be working. I don't know about extreme cases but its something to try
    I've heard that too actually. I have a moisturiser that's pretty greasy but it's very rich and is meant for very dry skin. I don't think it's meant for the face so I stopped using it thinking it would make the oiliness better. It didn't. Might start using it again. It certainly never made it any worse.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forget that)
    What oil? like sunflower oil or?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popple7)
    use less products!! ive heard good things about Milk of Magnesia... it's meant to be a miracle cure for oily skin. i tried it (but bought the mint-flavoured one instead of the original formula, ick!)... it didnt do much for me but i only tried it a few times and gave up pretty quickly.

i think a major reason i get oily skin is the amount of awful food i eat. too much sugar and rubbish, not enough fruit or protein and dont drink enough water. i think if i changed my diet, it might improve my skin. maybe if you eat badly too this could be part of the problem?
    My diet's not amazing either. I hardly ever eat vegetables and I don't do any exercise. I drink enough water to keep me from feeling thirsty but that's only about 3-4 glasses a day. The reason I don't drink more is because of bladder problems.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that too actually. I have a moisturiser that's pretty greasy but it's very rich and is meant for very dry skin. I don't think it's meant for the face so I stopped using it thinking it would make the oiliness better. It didn't. Might start using it again. It certainly never made it any worse.
    The thing is with mosteriser and cream is that they don't actually penetrate the skin, they just sit on top. I had been using coca-butter for years and i felt really upset when i heard this
    I use Tesco baby oil on alternates days and it really is really good... of course when that runs out ill get a better brand
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1) Less products
    2) Don't exfoliate more than once a week i'd say. Your skin will produce more oil as you brush it all away every day. But do exfoliate every now and then.
    3) Do you get acne? The acne treatment roaccutane has a huge effect on oily skin
    4) Don't worry about your diet.

Ideally you should wash lightly, and moisturise.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goku12345)
    What oil? like sunflower oil or?
    Tesco oil my friend.
    Cheap, cheerful and actually makes your skin feel really soft when you wake up

Like lol i only just fully read what you wrote, sunflower oil? Really? I wouldn't use that in my cooking might as well on my face. Why don't you go for a bit of experimentation and then fed back your results?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The more products I use on my face, the oilier it gets. Especially exfoliating scrubs. All I do these days is wash my face once a day (in the shower) I rarely use cleansers, I use a cotton pad and apply an antibacterial toner (which serves as a light cleanser), and then moisturiser. Apart from that, I use a gentle exfoliator once every ~3-4 days.

My skin is no where near as bad/oily as it used to be when I used to follow these silly regimens that all these beauticians advise. Don't intefere too much with natures own work I say!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    1) Less products
    2) Don't exfoliate more than once a week i'd say. Your skin will produce more oil as you brush it all away every day. But do exfoliate every now and then.
    3) Do you get acne? The acne treatment roaccutane has a huge effect on oily skin
    4) Don't worry about your diet.

Ideally you should wash lightly, and moisturise.
    Lucky I don't have acne. The only reason I exfoliate every day is becaused dry skin gathers on my face and the only way I can get it off is by exfoliating. Otherwise I can't put make up over it because it just looks terrible. I know Dermalogica do a daily microfoliant but it's so expensive.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    My diet's not amazing either. I hardly ever eat vegetables and I don't do any exercise. I drink enough water to keep me from feeling thirsty but that's only about 3-4 glasses a day. The reason I don't drink more is because of bladder problems.
    maybe think about changing your diet then? if nothing else, it will make you feel better and healthier... and then if your skin improves too, bonus!

but DEFINITELY stop using so many products! use a very gentle cleanser to get rid of makeup (i recommend liz earle's cleanse and polish) and only moisturise dry patches. and dont bother with primers, ive tried many myself and they dont help.

blotting tissues are also handy and pretty discreet to use. you have my full sympathy though, i HATE having a shiny face! apparently, our skin type means we'll get less wrinkles when we are older though. lol not much consolation but still
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    maybe think about changing your diet then? if nothing else, it will make you feel better and healthier... and then if your skin improves too, bonus!

but DEFINITELY stop using so many products! use a very gentle cleanser to get rid of makeup (i recommend liz earle's cleanse and polish) and only moisturise dry patches. and dont bother with primers, ive tried many myself and they dont help.

blotting tissues are also handy and pretty discreet to use. you have my full sympathy though, i HATE having a shiny face! apparently, our skin type means we'll get less wrinkles when we are older though. lol not much consolation but still
    I'm trying not to eat as much chocolate but it's hard because it is my true love :P when I take my make up off at night I just use cleansing wipes and the nivea moisturiser. I'm not going anywhere tomorrow so I just won't wear any makeup and I won't exfoliate. See where that gets me
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying not to eat as much chocolate but it's hard because it is my true love :P when I take my make up off at night I just use cleansing wipes and the nivea moisturiser. I'm not going anywhere tomorrow so I just won't wear any makeup and I won't exfoliate. See where that gets me
    maybe try to balance out the chocolate with fruit and veg? fish is meant to be good for oily skin, but fish is minging so i wont be trying that one!

this/ is the milk of magnesia i recommended before btw. it costs about £3 so it's cheap enough for an experiment! i wasnt impressed but there's so many good reviews on google, it might work for you
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

This is my routine:

if you're biggest problem is oily skin, then it's best not use a rich moisturiser. I have pretty oily skin and find that using a light moisturiser helps my skin alot.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    maybe try to balance out the chocolate with fruit and veg? fish is meant to be good for oily skin, but fish is minging so i wont be trying that one!

this/ is the milk of magnesia i recommended before btw. it costs about £3 so it's cheap enough for an experiment! i wasnt impressed but there's so many good reviews on google, it might work for you
    I hate fish too! xD and I'm eating some pineapple right now

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 16, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.