The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by tooambitious
according to the oxford website applicants will now have to take the TSA, in addition to written work but its says nothing about that on the TSA oxfrd website :s-smilie:, so maybe the TSA website just hasnt been updated.

essentially OP, it looks like you'll have to take the TSA regardless of which course you pick

oooooh interesting.

You'd think for Geography they'd just give you a map of the UK and see if you can colour within the lines :wink:

(I'm kidding geographers - you, well my geographer friends, get me back by saying I do PPEasy and doss around all day - as if!)

On a more serious note - I wonder if any other courses are deciding to use the TSA from now on.
Original post by ..lauren
Physics, but my highers look to be much better!

Ah I think a good performance on the PAT goes a long way for physics! I think you should go for it :smile:
Reply 642
Original post by Poppyxx
yes definitely.

(Oxford don't care too much about extra-c anyway... except for like Medicine... they just like to see you can manage time, have a life and personality, and perhaps have picked up some less academic skills - confidence, teamwork, independence. But even then how much they care about that is debatable)

:smile: Ah thank you for the prompt reply. That's great. I doubt you'll know if Durham would do the same. I wanted to apply for the Durham Summer School for reduced grades yet was in hospital at the time - it's supposed to be completed in AS year.
I mean I would be more than willing to attend in my year off, but I don't know if they'll be flexible with the Summer School criteria.
Reply 643
My D was in french, as for my grades contextually, they were very good. I've just got to get 4A's at AS now :smile:
Original post by Poppyxx
oooooh interesting.

You'd think for Geography they'd just give you a map of the UK and see if you can colour within the lines :wink:

(I'm kidding geographers - you, well my geographer friends, get me back by saying I do PPEasy and doss around all day - as if!)

On a more serious note - I wonder if any other courses are deciding to use the TSA from now on.

yeah, i was a bit surprised too, because they dont seem t be reducing the number of people being interviewed,

haha yeah, im applying for Easy and Managable :P

why does PPE have that reputation, it sound quite rigorous :confused:
Reply 645
Original post by SJC
:smile: Ah thank you for the prompt reply. That's great. I doubt you'll know if Durham would do the same. I wanted to apply for the Durham Summer School for reduced grades yet was in hospital at the time - it's supposed to be completed in AS year.
I mean I would be more than willing to attend in my year off, but I don't know if they'll be flexible with the Summer School criteria.

Can't help with Durham sorry - I'm sure there will be a useful Durhamite over on their forum!

Universities are human, well the people who work for them are :wink:, and recognise not everyone has straightforward circumstances when applying. They are usually more than happy to answer any queries.
Original post by TempleQC
My D was in french, as for my grades contextually, they were very good. I've just got to get 4A's at AS now :smile:

Sounds fine then :smile: ask if you have any questions, good luck!
Reply 647
Original post by tooambitious
yeah, i was a bit surprised too, because they dont seem t be reducing the number of people being interviewed,

haha yeah, im applying for Easy and Managable :P

why does PPE have that reputation, it sound quite rigorous :confused:

It's known as Egos and Money at my college :wink:

Yeah I'm baffled by the PPE rep... To be fair it was never people at my college who said it, because Michaelmas 1st year is horrendous here due to how they timetable the teaching (basically we had no new material in Trinity, whereas other colleges space it out more throughout the year), but friends at other colleges have called it that.

Maybe it's just their friends who dossed around! Although now being in 2nd year I do seem to wile away hours on end sat in the JCR gossiping...
Reply 648
Original post by Festina lente
Ah I think a good performance on the PAT goes a long way for physics! I think you should go for it :smile:

I've decided that I'll apply if I get five A's at higher, cause if not I doubt I have a chance :P

Plus it'll be quite a big thing if I do apply. My school has never sent anyone to Oxford and no one in my family has even went to uni. I'll need to convince my parents of it as well, and I try at all costs not to talk to them about anything serious, haha! I'll study for the PAT over summer anyway, out of leisure more than anything :colondollar:
I've decided that I'll apply if I get five A's at higher, cause if not I doubt I have a chance :P

Plus it'll be quite a big thing if I do apply. My school has never sent anyone to Oxford and no one in my family has even went to uni. I'll need to convince my parents of it as well, and I try at all costs not to talk to them about anything serious, haha! I'll study for the PAT over summer anyway, out of leisure more than anything :colondollar:

Then I think even more that you definitely should apply, it sounds as though you would love Oxford physics if you are studying for the PAT for leisure! Very best of luck :smile:
Original post by Poppyxx
It's known as Egos and Money at my college :wink:

Yeah I'm baffled by the PPE rep... To be fair it was never people at my college who said it, because Michaelmas 1st year is horrendous here due to how they timetable the teaching (basically we had no new material in Trinity, whereas other colleges space it out more throughout the year), but friends at other colleges have called it that.

Maybe it's just their friends who dossed around! Although now being in 2nd year I do seem to wile away hours on end sat in the JCR gossiping...

Hahahha that's quite funny :lol:
Could you add me to the stalking page please ! Thanks :smile:

Applying for Law with French Law
Open application
GCSEs: 5A*s & 7As
AS Subjects: French, Biology, English Literature & Dance
AS Predictions: 4As
A2 Predictions: N/A
Notes: Extended Project Qualification, French charity work & work experience, European Law firm work experience, Prefect/House Captain etc.
Reply 652
Can someone add me also, to the stalking page..

Subject: Maths
College: Hertford/Lincoln
GCSE: 6 A*'s & 4 A's
AS subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, General Studies.
AS pred: 5 A's
A2 pred: N/A
Reply 653
Then I think even more that you definitely should apply, it sounds as though you would love Oxford physics if you are studying for the PAT for leisure! Very best of luck :smile:

Thank you, I'm still considering it :tongue:
Reply 654
Sounds fine then :smile: ask if you have any questions, good luck!

Reply 655

Don't worry too much about your grades, apply anyway! It's always worth a shot - I'm currently at Oxford and not everyone has perfect grades (I know somebody who got ABDE at AS and still got an offer! Though it might be a bit more strict than that for sciences), so it's important to do reasonably well but grades aren't everything. I think especially in subjects where they have their own entrance exam they're generally more interested in that.
Reply 656
Original post by mab2
Don't worry too much about your grades, apply anyway! It's always worth a shot - I'm currently at Oxford and not everyone has perfect grades (I know somebody who got ABDE at AS and still got an offer! Though it might be a bit more strict than that for sciences), so it's important to do reasonably well but grades aren't everything. I think especially in subjects where they have their own entrance exam they're generally more interested in that.

Yea, I think it seems like the PAT (or other admission tests) function so as GCSE/sg results aren't as important, which is a good thing for me then :tongue: I've decided that if I get five A's through in August I'll apply. Or that's the plan anyway, I haven;t even discussed this with my parents.
Original post by soph-a-loaf
Could you add me to the stalking page please ! Thanks :smile:

Applying for Law with French Law
Open application
GCSEs: 5A*s & 7As
AS Subjects: French, Biology, English Literature & Dance
AS Predictions: 4As
A2 Predictions: N/A
Notes: Extended Project Qualification, French charity work & work experience, European Law firm work experience, Prefect/House Captain etc.

Original post by PeteyB26
Can someone add me also, to the stalking page..

Subject: Maths
College: Hertford/Lincoln
GCSE: 6 A*'s & 4 A's
AS subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, General Studies.
AS pred: 5 A's
A2 pred: N/A

done :smile:
Reply 658
Original post by okonomiyaki
Hi everyone!
I'm hoping to apply for Oriental Studies 8D
It would absolutely be my dream course at my dream uni. I'm such a big Japanophile and I love south-east asia in general, so I'd look forward to picking up modules on China and Korea too. I can't help but drool (is that the right word? :colondollar:) over the study abroad opportunities as well.

I fell in love with Oxford when I went to visit it on a day trip with relatives in the new year. The architecture, the warm atmosphere, the smell of Blackwells (they stocked a pretty rare book on Japanese particles! I was so impressed 8D)...all that knowledge and learning and history...the hall in Balliol looked a little like Hogwarts to me.

I'm thinking of Queen's because I love the buildings and they seem to have a kickass Japanese society, but Oriental Studies at Oxford in general sounds too fantastic :excited:

As an American-born Chinese myself, wouldn't it make more sense to consider applying to a college in Asia?

Original post by Aeonstorm
Hi guys,

Just to introduce myself, I'm an Aussie and applying for PPE this year. Are there any other international applicants here? I would love to chat, as I'm struggling to find information for some things related to international applicants. For instance, there don't happen to be any TSA open centres in Australia, so unless I can get my school to register to be a closed centre, I'm not exactly sure how I'm gonna be able to do it. Also, as an international student do you guys recommend I make an open application or choose a specific college? I'm thinking of either Christchurch or Balliol, but I haven't really looked at it in depth.

Hi! I'm an international student as well, I'm from America.

I feel a like a poor American misguided child for asking this, but what's a GSCE? and an A-level? And do they/how do they match up to American grades/testing?
Original post by thesmiter
As an American-born Chinese myself, wouldn't it make more sense to consider applying to a college in Asia?

Hi! I'm an international student as well, I'm from America.

I feel a like a poor American misguided child for asking this, but what's a GSCE? and an A-level? And do they/how do they match up to American grades/testing?

Hi fellow international!

If you want to study history/politics, there isn't any real reason to study in Asia unless you want to work and live in Asia. Otherwise, a Western degree is much more useful throughout the rest of the world.

I would also like a clarification as to what the different British grading systems are. I've gathered that the GSCE is for 4th form, possibly for those who wish to leave school at 16? Then I think AS are 5th form, but I'm really quite unsure. A-levels I'm fairly sure are the 6th form final exams to graduate from high school, in which students pick a minimum of 3 subjects to study in depth. Hence the standard requirement of AAA to get into most courses in Oxford.

If you want to compare it to SAT, I would take a look at the corresponding IB mark of 38-40 required for entry, and compare any American grade to the IB. There are also a list of international qualification requirements on the Oxford website. Take it with a pinch of salt though; Oxford recommends an IB of 38-40, which equates roughly to a 96 ATAR (Australian grading system out of 99.95) but then goes to say that you need an ATAR between 98.5 - 99.5 to be a competitive applicant.

Latest

Trending

Trending