Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oxford Applicants for 2013 Entry

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ..lauren)
    I've decided that I'll apply if I get five A's at higher, cause if not I doubt I have a chance :P

Plus it'll be quite a big thing if I do apply. My school has never sent anyone to Oxford and no one in my family has even went to uni. I'll need to convince my parents of it as well, and I try at all costs not to talk to them about anything serious, haha! I'll study for the PAT over summer anyway, out of leisure more than anything
    Don't worry too much about your grades, apply anyway! It's always worth a shot - I'm currently at Oxford and not everyone has perfect grades (I know somebody who got ABDE at AS and still got an offer! Though it might be a bit more strict than that for sciences), so it's important to do reasonably well but grades aren't everything. I think especially in subjects where they have their own entrance exam they're generally more interested in that.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mab2)
    Don't worry too much about your grades, apply anyway! It's always worth a shot - I'm currently at Oxford and not everyone has perfect grades (I know somebody who got ABDE at AS and still got an offer! Though it might be a bit more strict than that for sciences), so it's important to do reasonably well but grades aren't everything. I think especially in subjects where they have their own entrance exam they're generally more interested in that.
    Yea, I think it seems like the PAT (or other admission tests) function so as GCSE/sg results aren't as important, which is a good thing for me then I've decided that if I get five A's through in August I'll apply. Or that's the plan anyway, I haven;t even discussed this with my parents.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph-a-loaf)
    Could you add me to the stalking page please ! Thanks

Applying for Law with French Law
    Open application
    GCSEs: 5A*s & 7As
    AS Subjects: French, Biology, English Literature & Dance
    AS Predictions: 4As
    A2 Predictions: N/A
    Notes: Extended Project Qualification, French charity work & work experience, European Law firm work experience, Prefect/House Captain etc.

(Original post by PeteyB26)
    Can someone add me also, to the stalking page..

Subject: Maths
    College: Hertford/Lincoln
    GCSE: 6 A*'s & 4 A's
    AS subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, General Studies.
    AS pred: 5 A's
    A2 pred: N/A
    done
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by okonomiyaki)
    Hi everyone!
    I'm hoping to apply for Oriental Studies 8D
    It would absolutely be my dream course at my dream uni. I'm such a big Japanophile and I love south-east asia in general, so I'd look forward to picking up modules on China and Korea too. I can't help but drool (is that the right word? ) over the study abroad opportunities as well.

I fell in love with Oxford when I went to visit it on a day trip with relatives in the new year. The architecture, the warm atmosphere, the smell of Blackwells (they stocked a pretty rare book on Japanese particles! I was so impressed 8D)...all that knowledge and learning and history...the hall in Balliol looked a little like Hogwarts to me.

I'm thinking of Queen's because I love the buildings and they seem to have a kickass Japanese society, but Oriental Studies at Oxford in general sounds too fantastic :excited:
    As an American-born Chinese myself, wouldn't it make more sense to consider applying to a college in Asia?

(Original post by Aeonstorm)
    Hi guys,

Just to introduce myself, I'm an Aussie and applying for PPE this year. Are there any other international applicants here? I would love to chat, as I'm struggling to find information for some things related to international applicants. For instance, there don't happen to be any TSA open centres in Australia, so unless I can get my school to register to be a closed centre, I'm not exactly sure how I'm gonna be able to do it. Also, as an international student do you guys recommend I make an open application or choose a specific college? I'm thinking of either Christchurch or Balliol, but I haven't really looked at it in depth.
    Hi! I'm an international student as well, I'm from America.

I feel a like a poor American misguided child for asking this, but what's a GSCE? and an A-level? And do they/how do they match up to American grades/testing?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesmiter)
    As an American-born Chinese myself, wouldn't it make more sense to consider applying to a college in Asia?

Hi! I'm an international student as well, I'm from America.

I feel a like a poor American misguided child for asking this, but what's a GSCE? and an A-level? And do they/how do they match up to American grades/testing?
    Hi fellow international!

If you want to study history/politics, there isn't any real reason to study in Asia unless you want to work and live in Asia. Otherwise, a Western degree is much more useful throughout the rest of the world.

I would also like a clarification as to what the different British grading systems are. I've gathered that the GSCE is for 4th form, possibly for those who wish to leave school at 16? Then I think AS are 5th form, but I'm really quite unsure. A-levels I'm fairly sure are the 6th form final exams to graduate from high school, in which students pick a minimum of 3 subjects to study in depth. Hence the standard requirement of AAA to get into most courses in Oxford.

If you want to compare it to SAT, I would take a look at the corresponding IB mark of 38-40 required for entry, and compare any American grade to the IB. There are also a list of international qualification requirements on the Oxford website. Take it with a pinch of salt though; Oxford recommends an IB of 38-40, which equates roughly to a 96 ATAR (Australian grading system out of 99.95) but then goes to say that you need an ATAR between 98.5 - 99.5 to be a competitive applicant.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeonstorm)
    Hi fellow international!

If you want to study history/politics, there isn't any real reason to study in Asia unless you want to work and live in Asia. Otherwise, a Western degree is much more useful throughout the rest of the world.

I would also like a clarification as to what the different British grading systems are. I've gathered that the GSCE is for 4th form, possibly for those who wish to leave school at 16? Then I think AS are 5th form, but I'm really quite unsure. A-levels I'm fairly sure are the 6th form final exams to graduate from high school, in which students pick a minimum of 3 subjects to study in depth. Hence the standard requirement of AAA to get into most courses in Oxford.

If you want to compare it to SAT, I would take a look at the corresponding IB mark of 38-40 required for entry, and compare any American grade to the IB. There are also a list of international qualification requirements on the Oxford website. Take it with a pinch of salt though; Oxford recommends an IB of 38-40, which equates roughly to a 96 ATAR (Australian grading system out of 99.95) but then goes to say that you need an ATAR between 98.5 - 99.5 to be a competitive applicant.
    I was wondering why okonomiyaki wasn't applying to a school in Asia. I am applying to HKU as well under history. Not because the university is renowned in history, but because my parents are both HK natives, and if I live in Hong Kong for half a year, I can gain dual citizenship and pay resident fees at HKU.

That sounds like an incredibly high percentage... My SAT scores are only decent (2280, can't even break the 2300s. >_< Gotta retry!), but so far, all my history grades are straight As. We don't have percentages at my school, though some American schools do.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesmiter)
    I was wondering why okonomiyaki wasn't applying to a school in Asia. I am applying to HKU as well under history. Not because the university is renowned in history, but because my parents are both HK natives, and if I live in Hong Kong for half a year, I can gain dual citizenship and pay resident fees at HKU.

That sounds like an incredibly high percentage... My SAT scores are only decent (2280, can't even break the 2300s. >_< Gotta retry!), but so far, all my history grades are straight As. We don't have percentages at my school, though some American schools do.
    Oh right... I completely misread that :/

And don't stress, you only need a minimum of 2100 SAT, with at least 700 in each section. I'm sure 2280 will make a very competitive application. http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...ons/index.html
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please add me onto the stalking page? x
    Username: nadster
    Subject: mathematics
    College: undecided
    GCSE: 9A* 2A
    AS subjects: maths, further maths, business, economics, general studies
    AS predictions: 5As
    A2 predictions: A*AA
    Notes: EPQ
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadster)
    Could someone please add me onto the stalking page? x
    Username: nadster
    Subject: mathematics
    College: undecided
    GCSE: 9A* 2A
    AS subjects: maths, further maths, business, economics, general studies
    AS predictions: 5As
    A2 predictions: A*AA
    Notes: EPQ
    done
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abc1234x)
    That would be perfect! Could you please do that? Thank you sooooooooooo much
    Yes, of course; I'll do it shortly.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    done
    Thank you x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quick question,
    In terms of PPE, do you take the TSA before you've been selected for interview or after?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyK17)
    Quick question,
    In terms of PPE, do you take the TSA before you've been selected for interview or after?
    Before, 7th November this year
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Before, 7th November this year
    But will they take TSA results into account before they decide who or not to interview?
    Or is it solely predicted grades?
    Thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyK17)
    But will they take TSA results into account before they decide who or not to interview?
    Or is it solely predicted grades?
    Thanks
    the TSA ia a very large part f the decision of who to interview, it depends on collge but i believe its mainly down to TSA and GCSEs on who is interviewed
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the TSA ia a very large part f the decision of who to interview, it depends on collge but i believe its mainly down to TSA and GCSEs on who is interviewed
    Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppyxx)
    oooooh interesting.

You'd think for Geography they'd just give you a map of the UK and see if you can colour within the lines

(I'm kidding geographers - you, well my geographer friends, get me back by saying I do PPEasy and doss around all day - as if!)

On a more serious note - I wonder if any other courses are deciding to use the TSA from now on.
    That's right, I'd love to study geography because the course entails "advance colouring."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grenville)
    I'd go for Geography. You've got a much higher chance of getting an interview (92%), whereas in PPE only 45% get interviews. PPE you need to a good TSA score and GCSEs whereas Geography has no admissions test.

At the end of the day it needs to be the one which you're most interested in and have an excellent knowledge about. Good luck!

You may wish to read this too: http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions...2011/geography
    All great stuff, would definitely be invaluable if I had an interview.

Didn't you apply for Law at St. John's?

At the end of the day, I like the geography and PPE course equally as much!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin Wu)
    All great stuff, would definitely be invaluable if I had an interview.

Didn't you apply for Law at St. John's?

At the end of the day, I like the geography and PPE course equally as much!
    Well remembered, I did indeed! Rejected post-interview unfortunately so might be re-applying this year!

It looks like you'll be doing the TSA whatever course you apply for so get practising!
    http://www.geog.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/tsa.html
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grenville)
    Well remembered, I did indeed! Rejected post-interview unfortunately so might be re-applying this year!

It looks like you'll be doing the TSA whatever course you apply for so get practising!
    http://www.geog.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/tsa.html
    I'm guessing we're on the same boat then!

Are you trying for PPE?

I will start revising the TSA, as soon as I get these darn A Levels out of the way!

Good luck!
Updated: January 7, 2013
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.