The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Defragmentation
I think I prefer the course at Oxford, and I don't particularly like the fact that Cambridge are so numerical-based in the admission process.

umm, i see what you mean, oxford seem to have a more personal 'pooling system'
Original post by SixteenHundred
Hi! Nice to see another potential History applicant (although I'm still dithering over English Lit as well and consequently haven't looked into the courses as much as I'd like). Which A-levels do you take?

you could always apply for jooint honours :cool:
Original post by tooambitious
you could always apply for jooint honours :cool:

That's also on the agenda. I'm very indecisive. :redface:
Hi! Nice to see another potential History applicant (although I'm still dithering over English Lit as well and consequently haven't looked into the courses as much as I'd like). Which A-levels do you take?

Yeah, I'm dithering over History, and History and French, but straight History is probably more likely :s I take History, English Lit, English Lang and French, you?
If any of you have any questions about the application process for maths/Merton/general/Scottish qualifications, feel free to ask me! Best of luck to you all! :smile:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
If any of you have any questions about the application process for maths/Merton/general/Scottish qualifications, feel free to ask me! Best of luck to you all! :smile:

Is Merton really "where fun goes to die" :tongue:?
Any potential applicants for the new PPL course? :smile: (meaning any of the three)
Original post by Kimiechi
Yeah, I'm dithering over History, and History and French, but straight History is probably more likely :s I take History, English Lit, English Lang and French, you?

Mine are quite similar actually! I take History, English Lit, Latin, Maths, and Further Maths (AS over two years). I've never considered anything Maths related but I'm aware it looks a little odd!

I feel like I don't read enough outside the syllabus for History as it is. I loved GCSE and British History this year has been amazing but European has been such a drag that I just do the work and move on. I think that's the teacher though, since we haven't really got into the detail much, whereas I've read a lot more for British. I was set on History in the first term, anyway. I'm way too indecisive! :rolleyes: Which period do you do? We're on c16th, English and European Reformation.

Would you consider doing History with a year abroad then?
Aha but I'd have to prepare for that hour, which requires a lot more hours.

Fair enough, but it's designed so that there's very little preparation you can do. :redface:
Mine are quite similar actually! I take History, English Lit, Latin, Maths, and Further Maths (AS over two years). I've never considered anything Maths related but I'm aware it looks a little odd!

I feel like I don't read enough outside the syllabus for History as it is. I loved GCSE and British History this year has been amazing but European has been such a drag that I just do the work and move on. I think that's the teacher though, since we haven't really got into the detail much, whereas I've read a lot more for British. I was set on History in the first term, anyway. I'm way too indecisive! :rolleyes: Which period do you do? We're on c16th, English and European Reformation.

Would you consider doing History with a year abroad then?

You must be good at Maths then! I started off doing the AS but dropped it after like two weeks for Beginner's Spanish :tongue:

I don't have time to read much beyond the syllabus :L I don't like any of the stuff we're studying in History this year (Germany 1919-63 and Churchill 1920-45), cos I did the exact same time period at GCSE, and also before that. I honestly haven't studied anything earlier than 1914 or later than 1945 in the last five years! We've just started post-war Germany, which is slightly more interesting cos I haven't studied it before, but I just don't like German history in general ;( I wish I did the sort of topics you're doing! :P

Yes, although ideally I'd love to do a year abroad in America, cos American History is what I'm really interested in. I just enjoy learning different languages :colondollar:
Original post by Kimiechi
You must be good at Maths then! I started off doing the AS but dropped it after like two weeks for Beginner's Spanish :tongue:

I don't have time to read much beyond the syllabus :L I don't like any of the stuff we're studying in History this year (Germany 1919-63 and Churchill 1920-45), cos I did the exact same time period at GCSE, and also before that. I honestly haven't studied anything earlier than 1914 or later than 1945 in the last five years! We've just started post-war Germany, which is slightly more interesting cos I haven't studied it before, but I just don't like German history in general ;( I wish I did the sort of topics you're doing! :P

Yes, although ideally I'd love to do a year abroad in America, cos American History is what I'm really interested in. I just enjoy learning different languages :colondollar:

I'd love to have picked up another language! I did Classical Greek at GCSE so I wasn't allowed to try Spanish or German, where looking back I would've liked to try something new and modern. Latin's a good foundation if I ever want to pick the Romantic languages up though.

Wow! I'd love to be doing Germany or the USSR to be honest; we did the Russian Revolution at GCSE and I loved it. I like more political history so the Tudor court is a brilliant topic, but mindlessly learning religious reforms in rural c16th Europe is painful! I actually tend to prefer the older tendency to focus on top-down history rather than bottom-up, so Henry VIII and Stalin have been kind of ideal subjects. I'm worried I'm going to end up repeating some line from 'The History Boys' about how similar they are in a panic at an interview and end up sounding totally ignorant - have you seen that film? Post-war Germany sounds really interesting as well!

I think UCL offers a good 4 year course, from what I remember when I looked at it a few months ago. I've looked at it as well, but I just love literature as well (and the theatre) and I would miss it from an academic perspective.
I'd love to have picked up another language! I did Classical Greek at GCSE so I wasn't allowed to try Spanish or German, where looking back I would've liked to try something new and modern. Latin's a good foundation if I ever want to pick the Romantic languages up though.

Wow! I'd love to be doing Germany or the USSR to be honest; we did the Russian Revolution at GCSE and I loved it. I like more political history so the Tudor court is a brilliant topic, but mindlessly learning religious reforms in rural c16th Europe is painful! I actually tend to prefer the older tendency to focus on top-down history rather than bottom-up, so Henry VIII and Stalin have been kind of ideal subjects. I'm worried I'm going to end up repeating some line from 'The History Boys' about how similar they are in a panic at an interview and end up sounding totally ignorant - have you seen that film? Post-war Germany sounds really interesting as well!

I think UCL offers a good 4 year course, from what I remember when I looked at it a few months ago. I've looked at it as well, but I just love literature as well (and the theatre) and I would miss it from an academic perspective.

I've never done classical languages - I'd like to try Latin though, as I already do two Romance languages, so it would be nice to tie them together :smile:

I'm like the exact opposite - political history bores me to death! I'm more of a social history type :smile: haha, yeah, I've seen that :smile: urgh, no way :frown: can't wait til next year: american civil rights!! :biggrin:

Yeah, I really want to apply for that course, it looks absolutely amazing!! I would absolutely love to be able to go and study in Texas for a year!! :biggrin:
Is Merton really "where fun goes to die" :tongue:?

I'll be able to answer that one better in October, if I get my grades. I can tell you that I really enjoyed the interview period - most people were really social (albeit a bit geeky - it was the week of physics and maths interviews), and I made friends. From this it looks like the current students enjoy themselves a lot, too.
I'm going to Oxford next year (grades permitting) so if anyone wants any advice on the application process let me know :smile: I'm going to do Psychology at Univ.

There's a lot of worry about getting perfect grades and doing lots of extra curricular stuff, but I only got AABBB at AS. It's soo much more worth it if you can relate to a few books you've read in your personal statement, and maybe even talk about some conclusions you've formed? Teachers never tell you that an Oxbridge personal statement has to be completely different to other ones. Places like Kings, UCL, Bristol etc love it if you're well rounded (music, sport etc) so definitely refer to some of that if you're applying to those places, but Oxbridge are just totally subject-focussed. It's probably worth looking for work experience at a local uni (even if it's not a great one) or looking at open lectures - UCL has loads online - so you can talk about the maturity you have realised is necessary :P

As for choosing subjects, if you're thinking about something sciency, you basically need 2/3 science subjects plus a humanity, humanities the other way round - it's nice if you can write if you're going for science, and that you appreciate how things work if you're doing a humanity. But they don't really mind as long as you can relate them to your subject.

If anyone has any questions go ahead, but good luck to everyone applying, and it's never too early to start thinking about it, AS year is the best time! :smile:
Original post by Kidioteque
Sounds good! All the best with it. May I ask what you feel went 'wrong' this UCAS cycle?

And I'm glad you approve haha. For a long time I had this idea in my head that I'd continue all 4 on to A2 but doubt I will now... it just seems unnecessary unless you really love all your subjects, and I certainly do not love my school's English Literature course. :lol:

Putting too much pressure on the whole process; it wasn't required at all, and just made exams much more gruelling. :redface:

At least you haven't taken it as one of five to A2, the exam is just death (in the sense that it's so unforgivably boring!) :frown:
Reply 115
I have an offer to study at Oxford this October so if anyone has any general questions (about applying, shortlisting, entrance exams, interviewing, choosing colleges, whatever) then I'd be happy to try and answer them. :smile:

I plan to read English at Lady Margaret Hall so I know a lot about the subject and the college but I've visited other colleges and I know some things about other subjects too (at lot of my friends also applied/have been made offers for other subjects!)
Reply 116
Yeah I think I'm gonna be reapplying so.. if you have any questions go for it. Plus I live in Ox so I know a fair bit. :smile:
Original post by _becca
Yeah I think I'm gonna be reapplying so.. if you have any questions go for it. Plus I live in Ox so I know a fair bit. :smile:

hai there :hi:
Reply 118
Original post by medbh4805
hai there :hi:

yeeeeeeep, this is the life of a reject <3
Original post by _becca
yeeeeeeep, this is the life of a reject <3

nein. they must accept you this time :fuhrer:
i will not tolerate anythign differnent

Latest

Trending

Trending