Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not looking at all 18

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm just wondering how things will go once I turn 18, I turn 18 in april and I do have valid ID (provisional driving license). Just one thing, I'm 5'6 and look about 16 (at a push, 17, but i'd go with a comfortable 16). Will they ever question it, they could assume its fake ID? I will genuinely be 18.

(Im male btw)
    • 84 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt very much they'll question the ID. Some people just look younger than others at 18.

I look well over 18 (i'm 24) yet I still get asked for ID occasionally in the supermarket. Just accept that for a few years you'll have to keep whipping out the ID to prove it. I can't remember what it's called, but there's a 'if you look under 21 we'll ID you' thing that lots of places adhere to.

Oh, and on my ID I think the picture is from when I was 16/17. I look pretty young on that and i've never had it questioned (well... other than in an airport in Delhi but that's a different story).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    if it helps, i'm 18 and i look 12.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)
    I doubt very much they'll question the ID. Some people just look younger than others at 18.

I look well over 18 (i'm 24) yet I still get asked for ID occasionally in the supermarket. Just accept that for a few years you'll have to keep whipping out the ID to prove it. I can't remember what it's called, but there's a 'if you look under 21 we'll ID you' thing that lots of places adhere to.

Oh, and on my ID I think the picture is from when I was 16/17. I look pretty young on that and i've never had it questioned (well... other than in an airport in Delhi but that's a different story).
    I would like to know this story please!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some places do have issues with provisional licences for some reason. Maybe because people occasionally give away their provisionals to younger mates when they pass their test. Not that that should concern a shopkeeper, really.

It's amazing how times change. I don't think before 2000, when photocard licences were introduced, anywhere really IDed at all did they? I don't remember people regularly carrying passports around with them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Grow a beard. A big one.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I get IDed for everything, I'm 19 and still sometimes get asked for ID to buy a lottery ticket.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    No one yet has it worse than me; nearly 21, ID'ed to buy a PEGI 7* game just recently. Before that, my worst was ID'ed for a 12A when I was 19, nearly 20 (managed to get free film tickets from that one, though. )

Apparently, because it has a rating I have to prove I am over the age. I said to the sales assistant, "Isn't the fact I'm 5'10, here during the school hours and paying by card evidence enough?" Apparently not. :dontknow:

Yes, I know they're not yet enforceable, it was PG by BBFC ... but again, try explaining that to the sales assistant who IDs people who are obviously adults for 7/PG games.
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im 18 but they always ask for my ID...

Lawlz they have never questioned it bein fake though
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm turning 19 on monday and I look about 15. The cinema asks me my age all the time but they never ask for ID, though usually I take advantage of my young looks to get cheaper child tickets :P I do the same for buses and trains to get discounts. I've never had the authenticity of my ID questioned because I've never had cause to use it, I don't drink alcohol or buy tobacco.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im 23 soon and still get ID'd for everything. i just ensure i have my provisional from when i was 17 on hand at all times and it gets me by just fine
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)

(Original post by ChrisA7x)
    Hi I'm just wondering how things will go once I turn 18, I turn 18 in april and I do have valid ID (provisional driving license). Just one thing, I'm 5'6 and look about 16 (at a push, 17, but i'd go with a comfortable 16). Will they ever question it, they could assume its fake ID? I will genuinely be 18.

(Im male btw)

There's a Challenge 21 which is the normal campaign and for places that are seen as regular offenders they ask for ID to anyone who looks under 25. I would be very surprised if you were refused something if someone assumes your ID is fake with no proof.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    im male 14 and i look 9/10 if it helps. i can get 12 depending where it is.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 and about a year ago I got IDed for a 15 game... lol.

I have ID and everyone accepts it fine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)

alot of places now run that under 25 thing where they id anyone looking under 25.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    Some places do have issues with provisional licences for some reason. Maybe because people occasionally give away their provisionals to younger mates when they pass their test. Not that that should concern a shopkeeper, really.

It's amazing how times change. I don't think before 2000, when photocard licences were introduced, anywhere really IDed at all did they? I don't remember people regularly carrying passports around with them.
    You need to send away your provisional to get your full so you can't do this.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    You need to send away your provisional to get your full so you can't do this.
    There's a DVLA D1 form, in which there is a tickable box next to the word "lost". Send your pass certificate off with that form. Job done.

Alternatively you could 'lose' your provisional and apply for a new one in advance of your driving test.

Very illegal, but very do-able.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm completely opposite because my actual age is 15, and people say I look 18. They think I'm 18 because I'm 6ft, I can grow a beard in a week (my facial hair grows so quick!) and my voice is deep.

However, there's a ton of benefits I get attention from adult women which is good :sexface:.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arbaaz)
    if it helps, i'm 18 and i look 12.
    That helps

Thanks everyone!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisA7x)
    That helps

Thanks everyone!
    no problem.. if by next year i still look 12, i'm growing to develop a deep voice and try to talk like a 30 year old

your not alone .

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 1, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.