Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Headache

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've had an excruciatingly painful headache on the right side for 6 hours (and it's still ongoing). It's not throbbing, it's continuous.

Can anyone help me out? Is it something to worry about?

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NishaaaR)
    I've had an excruciatingly painful headache on the right side for 6 hours (and it's still ongoing). It's not throbbing, it's continuous.

Can anyone help me out? Is it something to worry about?

Thanks
    Where is (or was) the pain exactly? Any other symptoms (red/swollen eye, runny nose, visual disturbances, paresthesia) ? How painful? Did you take any medication for it? Did it work? Are you on any other medication? History of migraines?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moya)
    Where is (or was) the pain exactly? Any other symptoms (red/swollen eye, runny nose, visual disturbances, paresthesia) ? How painful? Did you take any medication for it? Did it work? Are you on any other medication? History of migraines?
    Right temple, no other symptoms, it's continuous (so it's pretty painful) and the pain continued last night, but at the moment it's eased away and is now throbbing in the same area. No medication at all, and no history of migraines.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger, I just slept and when when I woke up it was gone, but I'd lost all sense of time, lol.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apocalyptic Fish)
    When I was younger, I just slept and when when I woke up it was gone, but I'd lost all sense of time, lol.
    I had to do this too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right temple, no other symptoms, it's continuous (so it's pretty painful) and the pain continued last night, but at the moment it's eased away and is now throbbing in the same area. No medication at all, and no history of migraines.
    It's probably just a bad tension headache. Usually caused by:

- Stress: usually occurs in the afternoon after long stressful work hours or after an exam
    - Sleep deprivation
    - Uncomfortable stressful position and/or bad posture
    - Irregular meal time (hunger)
    - Eyestrain

But if it happens again, try take some paracetemol and/or ibuprofen for it. If this doesn't help at all, go see a doctor (because then there's the possibility of it being a migraine/some other primary headache disorder as these usually don't respond to normal painkillers). I've found GPs to be quite crap with respect to headache disorders, so if he refers you on (as an outpatient to see a neurologist at a hospital), try see a different doctor at a different practice.

(Original post by Apocalyptic Fish)
    It's quite hard to measure pain but sometimes the pain can be so severe that it keeps you awake. I've been woken up in the night before.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moya)
    It's probably just a bad tension headache. Usually caused by:

- Stress: usually occurs in the afternoon after long stressful work hours or after an exam
    - Sleep deprivation
    - Uncomfortable stressful position and/or bad posture
    - Irregular meal time (hunger)
    - Eyestrain

But if it happens again, try take some paracetemol and/or ibuprofen for it. If this doesn't help at all, go see a doctor (because then there's the possibility of it being a migraine/some other primary headache disorder as these usually don't respond to normal painkillers). I've found GPs to be quite crap with respect to headache disorders, so if he refers you on (as an outpatient to see a neurologist at a hospital), try see a different doctor at a different practice.

It's quite hard to measure pain but sometimes the pain can be so severe that it keeps you awake. I've been woken up in the night before.
    Thing is, I've been sleep-deprived for a very long time now, because of stress and all sorts but I never experienced this before. Hunger wise, it's been like that too... I barely eat in general. And thanks for the advice. +1
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, I've been sleep-deprived for a very long time now, because of stress and all sorts but I never experienced this before. Hunger wise, it's been like that too... I barely eat in general. And thanks for the advice. +1
    Then it's almost definitely a tension headache
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try fizzy lemonade it gets rid of it in 30 mins seriously it does
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylish)
    Try fizzy lemonade it gets rid of it in 30 mins seriously it does
    can help! or a yoghurt, or even a teaspoon of sugar but it tastes pretty bad
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are worried enough to ask on here, you are worried enough to ask a real doctor.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what type of headache it is, but this might help... place a cloth dipped in cold water on your forehead and lie down in a dark, cool and quiet room. Take a Paracetamol or something and go off to sleep. When you wake up, your headache usually disappears. Keep a record of what you eat and see if there is something that triggers off your headaches. Avoid that item. For some people, it is chocolate, for some it is smoking, bright lights etc.

As an alternative, if you aren't able to lie down, apply some Vicks, Tiger Balm or Axe Oil on your forehead and behind your ears. It helps the pain fade away. Your health is really important. If you feel headachy, tell people not to disturb you and say you need rest. See the doctor if it gets worse, or if you start throwing up or something.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 3, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.