The Student Room Group

'Sandwich course'

At the start of the 'my course' section, there's a section where you have to pick what 'type' of student you'll be.

The options are:
Full-time undergraduate
Full-time foundation degree
Full-time distance learning
Full-time involving a placement (sandwich course)
Full-time postgraduate ITT

I'll be a full time undergraduate, but as I'll be studying Modern Languages there's a compulsary year abroad in the 3rd year. Does this mean I should select Full-time involving a placement (sandwich course)?

I'm sorry if this is obvious but I just wanted to be 100% sure.

Thank you :smile:
yes!
Original post by Banoffeepie16
At the start of the 'my course' section, there's a section where you have to pick what 'type' of student you'll be.

The options are:
Full-time undergraduate
Full-time foundation degree
Full-time distance learning
Full-time involving a placement (sandwich course)
Full-time postgraduate ITT

I'll be a full time undergraduate, but as I'll be studying Modern Languages there's a compulsary year abroad in the 3rd year. Does this mean I should select Full-time involving a placement (sandwich course)?

I'm sorry if this is obvious but I just wanted to be 100% sure.

Thank you :smile:

Just select full-time undergraduate, as it's not a sandwich course - this is a course that includes a year in industry.
Reply 3
Original post by glittersticks
Just select full-time undergraduate, as it's not a sandwich course - this is a course that includes a year in industry.

I don't think that's right since sandwich course = year in industry = year in placement, etc. They're all interchangeable phrases as far as I know.

OP: My advice would be to choose "Full-time involving a placement (sandwich course)" since "Full-time undergraduate" will just mean a 3 year standard degree. Also, well done for choosing to do a course with a placement year (even if it is compulsary) - everyone says how much more employable it makes you which is why my uni push it so much :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by glittersticks

What? A sandwich course is a year abroad or a year in industry not just a year in industry.

OP go for the Sandwich course.
Reply 5
Just to clear this up, I rang up Student Finance to check and they said to go with the sandwich course option :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Banoffeepie16
Just to clear this up, I rang up Student Finance to check and they said to go with the sandwich course option :smile:

I had the same problem, thanks for this post, helped alot!
Reply 7
As long as you know that you will only get 5 years of funding from SFE. So if you do the 4 year option and then decide to change courses you may have to fund the first year of a different course yourself.
I did a 2 years part time IT Certificate and applied to do a 4 year IT Bsc degree course and was told I would need to find the 1st year money myself but luckily the placement was optional so the ucas code was classed as a 3 year course or I would have to find £9000 or find a 3 year course. So be sure

Quick Reply

Latest