Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Books on mental health/illness for interesting reading?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am currently studying for a Biology degree and a part of science which particularly fascinates me is mental health.

Does anyone have any books that they would recommend under the umbrella of neuroscience/mental illness?

It's a interesting area of which I'd like to delve into in quite some depth!

Particular areas of interest are psychosis/schizophrenia and the mechanisms involved in hallucinations etc.

Many thanks in advance
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat is an excellent book focusing on neurology - but I don't believe it touches on psychosis. It is worth a read though!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was just about to mention The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat, and then saw it above. That's more neurological disorder than mental health, though.

Have a look at Oliver Sacks' other work too. He has a number of books, some of which may interest you.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys, just had a quick google of said book and it certainly looks like an interesting read.

There must be some books - more case study based - focusing on schizophrenia/psychosis out there? I can't seem to find them, nor do I know where to look!

Thanks guys
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    Cheers guys, just had a quick google of said book and it certainly looks like an interesting read.

There must be some books - more case study based - focusing on schizophrenia/psychosis out there? I can't seem to find them, nor do I know where to look!

Thanks guys
    I don't know any specific titles, but have you gone to Waterstones and looked in the psychology section? They often have specific books on such topics there. I got one from there a couple of weeks ago - 'Trauma' by Professor Gordon Turnbull. I'm sure they'd have similar things for the subjects you're interested in.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the eden express by mark vonnegut is amazing - it's about a guy who sets up a hippie commune in BC and develops schizophrenia. girl, interrupted is good as well, though that focuses on borderline personality disorder.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)

Thanks guys
    It's not exactly from a neuroscientfic perspective but Richard Bentall's 'Madness Explained' is really interesting if you want to read about schizophrenia/psychosis. Would recommend also 'Phantoms in the Brain' by V.S. Ramachandran (more neuroscientific and case-study based but not really about schizophrenia/psychosis)
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Robert Whitaker has written two important books: Mad in America and Anatomy of an Epidemic, which the latter is groundbreaking and a searing testament to the greed that is perverting psychiatry, leading to useless and apparently very damaging treatments that are widely used today - antidepressants, antipsychotics and benzos are covered at length, based on research in peer-reviewed journals.

Fictional titles that I would recommend would be One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, Red Dragon by Thomas Harris and The Shining by Stephen King.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pareidolia)
    Robert Whitaker has written two important books: Mad in America and Anatomy of an Epidemic, which the latter is groundbreaking and a searing testament to the greed that is perverting psychiatry, leading to useless and apparently very damaging treatments that are widely used today - antidepressants, antipsychotics and benzos are covered at length, based on research in peer-reviewed journals.

Fictional titles that I would recommend would be One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, Red Dragon by Thomas Harris and The Shining by Stephen King.
    An amazing book

I also really enjoyed The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath), Prozac Nation (Elizabeth Wurtzel) and The Virgin Suicides (Jeffery Eugenides)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Trauma by Professor Gordon Turnbull is a good book on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    For a historical perspective, this is a great little book.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    how about 'Sophie's Choice'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly psychosis, but I think American Psycho is amazing. The film pales in comparison.

I'd also like to +1 this request because I'm really interested in this sub-genre too.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    i remember skimming through a book called schizophrenia the bearded lady disease in the library which looked quite interesting and also a history of psychiatry.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Richard Bentall's books 'Madness Explained' and 'Doctoring the Mind' are both fantastic, and a nice mix of scientific and layman's language.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're interested in fiction about schizophrenia, you might want to look at "I never promised you a rose garden."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A Note of Madness by Tabitha Suzuma
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Yellow Wallpaper.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

READ IT.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with many previous recommendations - Oliver Sacks is amazing!
    Although it's fictional and more about psychology, I reckon you'd find Edgar Allan Poe's work interesting.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 4, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.