Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

After-birth abortions

Announcements Posted on
The News & Current Affairs and Society forums need more moderators! 20-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Two ethicists working with Australian universities argue in the latest online edition of the Journal of Medical Ethics that if abortion of a fetus is allowable, so to should be the termination of a newborn.

Both a fetus and a newborn certainly are human beings and potential persons, but neither is a ‘person’ in the sense of ‘subject of a moral right to life’. We take ‘person’ to mean an individual who is capable of attributing to her own existence some (at least) basic value such that being deprived of this existence represents a loss to her.
    [...]
    Merely being human is not in itself a reason for ascribing someone a right to life. Indeed, many humans are not considered subjects of a right to life: spare embryos where research on embryo stem cells is permitted, fetuses where abortion is permitted, criminals where capital punishment is legal.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/ethi...e-not-persons/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We already have after-birth abortions. It's called adoption.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emi_sarb)
    no that's called adoption
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emi_sarb)
    Two different things - adoption is giving up your child for someone else to raise. Abortion is the killing of a foetus.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notethis)
    Two ethicists working with Australian universities argue in the latest online edition of the Journal of Medical Ethics that if abortion of a fetus is allowable, so to should be the termination of a newborn.

Both a fetus and a newborn certainly are human beings and potential persons, but neither is a ‘person’ in the sense of ‘subject of a moral right to life’. We take ‘person’ to mean an individual who is capable of attributing to her own existence some (at least) basic value such that being deprived of this existence represents a loss to her.
    [...]
    Merely being human is not in itself a reason for ascribing someone a right to life. Indeed, many humans are not considered subjects of a right to life: spare embryos where research on embryo stem cells is permitted, fetuses where abortion is permitted, criminals where capital punishment is legal.

What absolute scum. By the same definition they could justify killing off the mentally ill as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Abortion is kinda beyond ethics. Like going to war and killing someone. You don't think about the rights and wrongs, you just do it and leave it to lie.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Human rights kick in the minute a person draws their first breath. Given that when my daughter was born it took a good minute or so to actually get her to breath then technically if she were to be killed in that first minute her human rights would not have been breached. But would that have made it any better? No.

I believe once a foetus becomes viable, ie, were it to be born now it could survive, with or without medical intervention, then abortion beyond that date for any reason other than a serious medical need, such as the mother or child would die or live a life of serious pain were the pregnancy to progress, that it becomes wrong. I think off the top of my head that the cut off is now 24 weeks which I think it too late as babies that early can survive.

As for the article, the guy's a dildo and should be absolutely ignored.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to figure out if they honestly think killing babies is ok, or whether they are making a statement against abortion by saying that it's effectively the same as killing babies after they have been born.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's just infanticide. You should decide whether to keep it, terminate the pregnancy or give it up for adoption much, much earlier in the pregnancy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I'm trying to figure out if they honestly think killing babies is ok, or whether they are making a statement against abortion by saying that it's effectively the same as killing babies after they have been born.
    Publishing it in a medical journal probably means it's something more than an alarmist anti-abortion statement. And it doesn't suggest killing all babies. Only newly born babies, who are likely to be a burden on a family, and who, like all new born babies, have no self awareness.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Publishing it in a medical journal probably means it's something more than an alarmist anti-abortion statement. And it doesn't suggest killing all babies. Only newly born babies, who are likely to be a burden on a family, and who, like all new born babies, have no self awareness.
    I hear this is how the ancient Romans did abortions.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

[...]

I'm going to guess you're talking about Peter Singer here (cba to read the article), as he is an Australian ethicist who has compared infanticide to abortion. However, whilst this may seem abhorrent to many, I believe (from what I have read and seen of his works) that Singer is in fact mostly opposed to abortion. Furthermore he was talking about infanticide potentially being acceptable and comparable to abortion only in the sense that you can legally abort a foetus for a disability, and therefore, some would argue, if a baby was born with a hitherto unknown disability you should arguably be able to kill that child.

Not saying that I agree with this, or indeed that Singer does, just stating an ethical theory.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I've been doing the same. Disturbingly, the article explicitly states the former, saying the pair believe 'after-birth abortion' (murder) is acceptable in certain circumstances, rather than equating it to the abortion of an unborn foetus to highlight the immorality of both acts.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are a wide range of things you can find in medical journals. Where do you think the MMR farce started?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

[...]

I had to stop when I read "Merely being human is not in itself a reason for ascribing someone a right to life." -? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure the only qualifying factor needed to receive human rights is to be human? A right to life is the most fundamental human right. He rendered his own argument invalid.

A fetus is not human and thus doesn't qualify for Human Rights. Once it develops to a certain standard it is a baby and thus human. Thus it has met all the criteria needed to receive human rights.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drobinson)
    I had to stop when I read "Merely being human is not in itself a reason for ascribing someone a right to life." -? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure the only qualifying factor needed to receive human rights is to be human? A right to life is the most fundamental human right. He rendered his own argument invalid.

A fetus is not human and thus doesn't qualify for Human Rights. Once it develops to a certain standard it is a baby and thus human. Thus it has met all the criteria needed to receive human rights.
    Why isn't a fetus a human? Biologically, I'm pretty sure it's human. Considering you're disputing any philosophical definition then surely we should accept the biological?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Why isn't a fetus a human? Biologically, I'm pretty sure it's human. Considering you're disputing any philosophical definition then surely we should accept the biological?
    Its all dependent on what your interpretation of "human" is. A fetus, to me at least, represents the potential for human life (or becoming human) which I don't see as of the same par as a living human being. I agree that biologically you could contend its humanity (although from a biological perspective is an egg considered a chicken? Genuine question) but in an issue which is fundamentally routed in ethics I think the definition is much more subjective based on your interpretation of whether potential is = actual.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    These guys are ethicists and not scientists so I'm going to go ahead and call their ideas a load of bull.

It's pretty clear that it's an attempt to discredit pro-choice arguments and push their own anti-abortion views on an audience.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oppro)
    Human rights kick in the minute a person draws their first breath. Given that when my daughter was born it took a good minute or so to actually get her to breath then technically if she were to be killed in that first minute her human rights would not have been breached. But would that have made it any better? No.

I believe once a foetus becomes viable, ie, were it to be born now it could survive, with or without medical intervention, then abortion beyond that date for any reason other than a serious medical need, such as the mother or child would die or live a life of serious pain were the pregnancy to progress, that it becomes wrong. I think off the top of my head that the cut off is now 24 weeks which I think it too late as babies that early can survive.

As for the article, the guy's a dildo and should be absolutely ignored.
    A minute fraction of pregnancies are terminated at this stage, and at this point it pretty much always in cases when the mother health is severely at risk or the child would be born either dead or so severely disabled that they would die anyway shortly after birth and in great pain.

The number of 'viable' fetus's terminated at this stage is essentially nil.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's disgusting :|

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 3, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.