The Student Room Group

If you're around 26 years old and...

... the only job you can find is stacking shelves in Tesco, despite being smart above average and have good A levels and you're good at many other things, would you do it? would you think it's shameful for a young man to "waste" his youths doing this?

Scroll to see replies

Job's a job man.
Reply 2
I'd do it, I'd think more of him than I would of somebody who turned down perfectly good jobs in a job market like we've got today. :s-smilie: Any experience/job is better than none!
Original post by 4TSR
... the only job you can find is stacking shelves in Tesco, despite being smart above average and have good A levels and you're good at many other things, would you do it? would you think it's shameful for a young man to "waste" his youths doing this?

There is no shame in stacking shelves its much better than nothing. Also if a better opportunity does come up you won't be saying on your application "unemployed for 2 years".
Do what makes you happy. If ur job means alot to you, dont do it. If its just beer money then crack on :biggrin:
Reply 5
It's always easier to find other jobs when you're working than while you're not.
Reply 6
Original post by 4TSR

If he was "above average smart" then he should at least have a university degree - which counts for a LOT more than A levels

Either way, it's an honest days work, so it's not shameful. However, he should be trying to invest in his future at least

Amazing how many people are negging me for simply stating the FACT that a university degree increases your employment chances. Anyway, keep em coming!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Of course you'd ****ing do it.

I worked as a receptionist for 4 months while I looked for a job once - and I had a PhD. It wasn't too bad, it mainly involved making cups of coffee, something which I excel at. Certainly much better than sitting round the house like a useless ****er.
I find this very difficult to answer because the scenraio would never happen!

But never the less a job is a job, getting money...
Reply 9
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
I find this very difficult to answer because the scenraio would never happen!

But never the less a job is a job, getting money...

Why wouldn't this happen?
Original post by 4TSR
Why wouldn't this happen?

If you can only find a job at Tesco, you're not looking for a job properly and you don't care. There's thousands of jobs out there. Sitting at home on your PC applying isn't doing much good.
Reply 11
I'd take it whilst continuing to look for something more satisfying with better wages and potential for progression. But in the mean time I'd adopt an 'a job's a job' attitude and at least be paying my bills whilst I job hunt. Also, work experience of any kind is going to improve my CV - if nothing else because many companies will question gaps on your CV. When I signed up for an education agency I work for as a supply teaching assistant I had to send them details of everything I'd done for the last ten years with all periods of time accounted for even if that period was 'out of work'. So yeah, I'd take the job without hesitation.
As long as shops exist we will need people to stack shelves. Snobbery over jobs is ridiculous. The most lowly, demeaning jobs are usually the most essential in any society.
Reply 13
I don't see anything shameful about that. In this day and age a job is a job. The care-taker at my college was a RAF pilot but took the job as care-taker because he didn't want to be at home all day. And I also heard that a guy graduated from uni with a good degree classification but has chosen to work in Tesco because he enjoyed it.
Reply 14
Original post by py0alb
Of course you'd ****ing do it.

I worked as a receptionist for 4 months while I looked for a job once - and I had a PhD. It wasn't too bad, it mainly involved making cups of coffee, something which I excel at. Certainly much better than sitting round the house like a useless ****er.

It's that bad ye? :frown:

Asking because I'm doing one as well =/
If you're around 26 years old and the only job you can find is stacking shelves in Tesco, then you might not be very good at networking. Counts for a lot these days, all my jobs were through who I know, not what grades I got. What you know then comes into account when doing the job and people can see that you're good at it

I know it's not ideal, but oppertunities come along by talking to others out there in an industry you want to be in, and not by applying on the internet/just via CV
When I was unemployed I struggled to even get a job at Tesco. fml.

If I lost my current unskilled job I'd just get another. The bills will still need paying and just because I'm 24 with a degree doesn't mean I'm above an unskilled job.
Probably. Nothing is more boring than lots of free time and no money.
Original post by BeautifullyTragic
If you're around 26 years old and the only job you can find is stacking shelves in Tesco, then you might not be very good at networking. Counts for a lot these days, all my jobs were through who I know, not what grades I got. What you know then comes into account when doing the job and people can see that you're good at it

I know it's not ideal, but oppertunities come along by talking to others out there in an industry you want to be in, and not by applying on the internet/just via CV

Sadly this is rather true. The job I want is a bitch to get into and I think the only way to get ahead would be to meet and greet loads of people in the field rather than wait for job opportunities to surface online.
Original post by 4TSR

Your obviously not above average if you feel the need to look down on people who stack shelves :/

A job is a job in the current economic climate.

Quick Reply

Latest