The Student Room Group

If you're around 26 years old and...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Refer to my point below....

In the end, it is MUCH better to have " too much" than too little qualifications. Again, I'm not saying its IMPOSSIBLE for someone to get a good job/work their way up the ladder/use their connections, but it is MUCH more difficult. You can dispute all you want, but its a fact, university graduates have a better chance of landing a job (ANY job) than a non graduate. You seem to be taking a GENERALISATION that I've made and trying to make it sound as if it applies to EVERYONE, which it obviously doesn't.

Enjoy the weekend!
If you are 26 and have Alevels but no further education, what have you been doing for the 8 years in between?
Original post by silverbolt
No. success is not measured by money. Is the person happy doing it? Do they enjoy it? Is it enough for them to live off and support who needs to be supported?

Yes - then they are a success.

Some of happiest people in the world go home stinking to high heaven.

Im 30, im a claims handler for an insurance company. Certainly a step down to what i used to do and far less money, Yet i really enjoy it, it pays the bills and i go home feeling good. Im a sucess

So much this!

Original post by Ronda
Exactly. I don't understand why certain jobs like that have a certain stigma attached to them, that they're for high-school drop-outs who are thick, blah, blah, blah.

I've been thinking about what I want to do with my life a lot recently, and am starting to realise that going through uni and getting a job might not be the thing for me. I work at McDonald's (which is probably looked down a lot more than a job in a supermarket), but you know what? I enjoy it, have had an offer to progress further with the company and I'm seriously considering leaving uni all together and working there full time. There are things I want to achieve in life, and having a high-paid job, in which I'll have to put off a lot of things for, is not one of them.

And before anyone asks, it's not because I'm failing or whatever. I've averaged over 70% in my first year and a half there. I just think it's not what I want, and I'd rather be doing something with my life which makes me happy, rather than doing what other people expect me to do.

Exactly the kind of post I was looking out for.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
If I got a job like it offered right now I would take it straight away! Why would you be ashamed? I'd be more ashamed not having anything I think, but that's just me.
Reply 64
As someone said above jobs a job! Simple as that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending