Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scott Parker To Captain England

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
  • View Poll Results: Was this the right choice?
    Yes
    40.34%
    No, I would've preferred Gerrard
    41.18%
    No, I would've preferred Lampard
    2.52%
    No, I would've preferred Barry
    1.68%
    No, I would've preferred Rooney
    3.36%
    No, I would've preferred Hart
    10.92%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I'm not so sure, you regualrly see Valdes, Casillas, Szsz and VDS (before) run into the other half to argue with the referee. Its possible but I think swarming the referee is more effective and seems to be the trend on the continent anyway.

I hope they are brave enough to clear out some of the older players who have had their chance and bring in the youngsters.

Nice gifs by the way, Kate Beckinsale, impeccable taste good sir :holmes:
    Yeah, I agree with most of what you're saying there. Particularly the swarming of the referee. Really annoys me.

And thanks

(Original post by kingsholmmad)
    You football supporters have neither imagination nor knowledge.
    :facepalm: How you've come to that conclusion I don't know.

The only decisions that it would be worth the captain discussing with the referee are the big ones. They're the ones that the referee is obliged to inform the captain about so, if the captain is standing between the sticks, that's where the referee has to go to inform him of his decision. Not that that is likely to happen very often because that sort of decision invariably involves a stoppage in play during which time the captain, goalkeeper or not, will have hunted down the ref.
    It's still not as easy for a goalkeeper to have a discussion with the referee if they aren't an outfield player. Particularly if it's for something like a penalty that hasn't been given, in which case the play doesn't stop. I realise that isn't the best reason to give as an argument against having a goalkeeper as captain, but I just think it's a wiser choice to give it to an outfield player over a goalkeeper. As I said though, Hart would still be one of my top candidates. It depends on what happens with the squad after the Euro's.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought Parker would even make the Euro line up; never mind the world cup. This is a decision which shouldn't have even been made by a caretaker manager like Pearce.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yer dead right, it's all so predictable. You can guarantee that the papers will be the first to
    villify every one of the players even if we get knocked out in the semis, a feat which, considering our performance in SA, would be a huge over-achievement.
    tbh if we make the semis, I think the media will hail the players as heroes, like Euro 96 or World Cup 90, because the way the draw is, for us to make the semis we will have had to beat some good teams. France and Sweden are in our group, and 1st/2nd of our group play 2nd/1st of group C, which has Spain and Italy in it, so either we will have to beat the likes of France and Sweden and then Italy to make the semis, or we will come 2nd in our group and have to knock out Spain in the quarters. Either way, a semi final place would be a HUGE achievement.

More likely, we will scrape through the group stage and have our asses handed to us in the quarters by Spain, and the post mortem will say we have to get rid of hard-working players, and develop flair players like Villa, Iniesta, Fabregas, Torres (LOL), we will just be hoping that Jack Wilshere's move to Real Madrid will help his game develop the continental way, after Arsene Wenger took him and RVP with him to the Bernabeu.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Best hope is to finish top and then play Italy then..

The thing is, if we got to the Euro semi finals, we would decline again before the World cup because Gerrard/Lampard/Parker/Barry/Cole/Terry/Ferdinand will all have retired from it by then and I'm still not sure we have adequate replacements.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now how do these deluded Liverpool fans feel that Gerrard wasn't the captain? he would have passed it after 33 mins. Deluded biased Liverpool fans.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    True enough but playing against Brazil in Brazil in a World Cup Final is as close to "never" as it gets. Especially since, to get there would require us to go further in a tournament than we've managed in the last half-century and in conditions to which we are utterly unsuited. It's just not gonna happen.
    Oh yeah I'm not suggesting we are going to win a WC but, IMO as a second tier footballing power we should be aiming to get to the quarters/semis and then give as good as we get and see how it goes. I think England reaching those stages isn't at all unrealistic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lol_this)
    Now how do these deluded Liverpool fans feel that Gerrard wasn't the captain? he would have passed it after 33 mins. Deluded biased Liverpool fans.
    Which is why in this very forum there's man United fans calling for him to be captain. That'll be it.

Stupid deluded biased anti Liverpool fans. Shove your 'Ingurland' and all your overhyped players and stick them, don't want our players, fine, but they don't deserve to be hounded by everybody.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would have chosen Gerrard, but to be fair he has been MoTM so far.

Parker Hart and Richards would be the first 3 on my teamsheet just for actually having some desire and passion to play.
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    Completely laughable when people make Parker out to be some sort of middle-of-the-road player. I assume these people either don't watch football or don't understand it. Sure, he's not elite level but he is one of the best, if not the best, for England in the role that he plays (apart from Carrick I can't think of any player who is as good as in that role at the moment). One of the reasons Spurs are on course to perform better than last season is Scott Parker.

(Original post by Pn94)
    I wouldn't have thought Parker would even make the Euro line up; never mind the world cup. This is a decision which shouldn't have even been made by a caretaker manager like Pearce.
    Yes, he most likely will make the Euro line up. Parker has been a regular member of the starting XI recently.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Completely laughable when people make Parker out to be some sort of middle-of-the-road player. I assume these people either don't watch football or don't understand it. Sure, he's not elite level but he is one of the best, if not the best, for England in the role that he plays (apart from Carrick I can't think of any player who is as good as in that role at the moment). One of the reasons Spurs are on course to perform better than last season is Scott Parker.

Yes, he most likely will make the Euro line up. Parker has been a regular member of the starting XI recently.
    I'd have Wilshere & Barry in over him.
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pn94)
    I'd have Wilshere & Barry in over him.
    A Wilshere who hasn't played at all this season? You'd have Wilshere over him, but I don't think many would.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A Wilshere who hasn't played at all this season? You'd have Wilshere over him, but I don't think many would.
    Assuming he's fully fit, yes. He'd add some class and creativity into what otherwise would be a dire partnership. Once Wilshere does return to full fitness, whether that's before/after the Euros, I'd expect him to go straight into the England team.
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pn94)
    Assuming he's fully fit, yes. He'd add some class and creativity into what otherwise would be a dire partnership. Once Wilshere does return to full fitness, whether that's before/after the Euros, I'd expect him to go straight into the England team.
    I think Barry should be the one to drop if that's the case. I'd probably put Wilshere in the team assuming he's fully fit, but not for Parker as I consider him a better reader of the game than Barry. Although I also highly doubt Wilshere will be in top shape by the Euros to make the starting XI, we'll see though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think Barry should be the one to drop if that's the case. I'd probably put Wilshere in the team assuming he's fully fit, but not for Parker as I consider him a better reader of the game than Barry. Although I also highly doubt Wilshere will be in top shape by the Euros to make the starting XI, we'll see though.
    It's hard to decide between Barry and Parker tbh. They're both effective & play for two of the best teams in the PL. I'd argue that Parker's a bit more of a bulldog whilst Barry's a bit more subtle and reads the game better.. you could choose either of them though and they'd do a solid enough job I suppose.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefunktopus69)
    As a Charlton fan I'm outraged.
    Why? Sure the move to Chelsea was a bit of a kerfuffle to say the lest, but he's one of the best players we've ever had. I don't begudge him one bit. A top pro, a decent work ethic and a good ambassador for the game.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Hart = Goalkeeper, not a wise choice.
    Cole = Complete **** who doesn't have a cool head at all.
    Gerrard = We want a long-term captain, not one who may leave after the Euros.
    Rooney = Doesn't have a cool head and will be missing for the start of the Euros.

Parker = The best decision when looking at the other candidates.
    But isn't Parker only a year younger than Gerrard?

I doubt he would make it to the world cup in 2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    Good decision, he was a fantastic captain for west ham
    He was only ever vice-captain for West Ham, Matthew Upson was our captain amazingly...:confused:

This is something that journalists always got wrong.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why should Gerrard be captain?
    He was a pretty poor one at the world cup in 2010
    He allow Terry to go off and lead a coup to the media
    The team wasn't that great, he didn't really lead them apart from the first 4 minutes against the USA

We have a player that will give 100% or one that dives and long balls it
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatTheFunk)

We have a player that will give 100% or one that dives and long balls it
    Gerrard hasn't given 100% for England? What a load of ****e.

He's sacrificed himself as a player for England on many occasions - having to play on the left wing or sitting futher back than he had to.

Gerrard is consistently one of Englands top peformers at major tournaments.

What experience does Scott Parker have of leading a team at the top level of football? Gerrard has lifted european and domestic honours as captain - Scott parker has no experience in the upper echelons of football.

Englands Loss, Liverpools Gain though.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)
    Gerrard hasn't given 100% for England? What a load of ****e.

He's sacrificed himself as a player for England on many occasions - having to play on the left wing or sitting futher back than he had to.

Gerrard is consistently one of Englands top peformers at major tournaments.

What experience does Scott Parker have of leading a team at the top level of football? Gerrard has lifted european and domestic honours as captain - Scott parker has no experience in the upper echelons of football.

Englands Loss, Liverpools Gain though.
    England gain really, He has been poor since he came back this isn't 2005-2006 any more
    Gerrard used to play on the left wing for Liverpool, but he moved more infield as time went on, he doesn't have the legs for the CAM role

We all wanted change for England, and it has come Gerrard was really the only golden generation starting, and really he shouldn't of done that after the game at the weekend

Parker may not have all these champions leagues to him name, but that doesn't make a good player they just come with having a good team and manager, you could say Parker had the harder job of being the one everyone looked too at West Ham even though he wasn't captain, he acted like one
    its like if we give the job to Arry, he only has 1 FA cup to his name, league cup runner up and a Intertoto Cup

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 2, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.