Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Christianity to heal

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would becoming a Christian help with insecurity and anxiety?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrypie)

You can't be a Christian unless you truly believe without any doubt, that Jesus died for all sin and God raised Him from the grave.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    That's not a good reason to become a Christian. However, if you want to solve your problems by deluding yourself, be my guest.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's up to you if you want to live a life of delusion*. If it helps you get better, then yeah.

*I mean deluded in the sense that you would be believing in God for the sake of your mental health, not that you actually believe which is what you're supposed to do.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dear OP.

I'm afraid that Christianity will not instantly make anyone a perfect well-adapted and happy person. It is, after all, not a self-help program that is about overcoming personal foibles, but a faith for the community of sinners that come before the face of God in order to forgive and be forgiven, to love and be loved. In that way, Christianity is not about personal growth at all. However, I would be lying if I said that no one feel strengthened by their faith in God, and find great comfort in faith together with the rest of the faithful in their church.

The most important thing, OP, is that God loves you unconditionally. He loves you as if you were the only human being in existance. God loves you not because you are strong, pretty, powerful, morally upstanding and clever, even though you may well be all that. God loves you because you are his child, and he is your father.

If you feel a longing for God, your father, then I suggest that you visit a church and join the worship there, talk to the believers there and their pastor/priest.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There's no point in denying that some Christian organisations do genuinely help people in need by convincing them to change their lifestyle and make them feel better about themselves, and that's a good thing, but the people who are helped by these charities are usually uneducated and suggestible, often homeless people who are in a bad way. Being told that there is someone out these who loves them and who is looking after them, being told everything will be OK if they clean up their act, is what these people need. I'm guessing you are not this sort of person OP. You cannot just become a Christian, because to do so without genuine belief will not offer you the comfort and solace many religious people do find. You do not need to pretend to be religious to feel more confident.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cherrypie. If there's ANYONE who can tell you about anxiety, it's me. I used to suffer a lot from anxiety, particularly during classes (even if there was no exam). I'm pretty clever myself, but the anxiety always blocked the flow of my thought. When you focus on God, 100%- without a doubt- your anxiety will be cured. I'm so sure, because I'm a living example. God has taken a lot of my anxiety away- at least 95%, and in about three days! You see, there are some things, which by human effort, you cannot change alone. However, with God's power, anything is possible. And I mean it. Believe Cherrypie. But it's not about God working for you- you've got to want God's kingdom first. And that takes commitment. Being a Christian can be difficult, but it will always pay off.

God bless you. I pray that God's will be done in your life.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    go and see a psychologist. if that doesn't work go to a doctor or psychiatrist and get some beta blockers or SSRIs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol thread is like saying cancer to cure
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely!

Have a listen to the testimony of Steve Carr, 40% down.
    (the rest are also relevant).

We live in a "shifting sand" world, looks nice, like the little pigs who build their houses from straw or sticks, but ...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's not a good reason to become a Christian, you don't just suddenly become one without believing all the Christian stuff. Becoming one for those reasons wouldn't really make you a Christian. So the best solution: agnostic atheism FTW

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 4, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.