Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Professor Green this generation's answer to John Lennon?

Announcements Posted on
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't compare Professor Green to John Lennon ever again. EVER. You are the cancer in today's music industry.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say the like of Noel Gallagher or Amy Winehouse are this generations John Lennon...Good quality music
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by from rush hour with love)
    Bieber is North American, so of course he is going to get played in the US as he is a homegrown artist.

Just like how over here the radio stations force rubbish like Mumford & Sons upon us.
    He's Canadian.

Edit:There's a difference between nationality and geography. Just because he was born in the North American continent doesn't mean his nationality is North American. He is Canadian. Likewise, just because I was born in England which is in the Euopean continent doesn't mean that I consider myself French or German etc. He has a canadian passport, he is Canadian, not American.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    He's Canadian.
    Canada is part of the North American continent.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Let us compare the choruses of one of each of their well known songs.

Jungle - Prof. Green:

It's wild round 'ere, you don't wanna spend a night round 'ere.
    When your out here in this jungle, aint nothing nice round 'ere, troubles what you find round 'ere.
    When your out here in this jungle, in this jungle.
    Your always caught in this struggle, in this jungle .
    But you keep asking for trouble, you love? You love when trouble comes your way, your way, your way.

Imagine - John Lennon:

You, you may say
    I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Please crawl back to your hole. Not that I'm a huge John Lennon fan anyway, but it is clear for all of the sane people left in the world to see that some moron who has spent 15 minutes in the spot light has got nothing on JL.

Led Zeppelin's where it's at anyway
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, but in terms of musical ability I don't see much difference between Lennon and the Prof. If anything, the Prof is more talented. Listening to his latest album recently reminded me of the first time I heard the White Album.

Although personally I see Chipmunk and Example as better prospects, I can't wait until America gets to hear their talents.
    mmm, lead paint. :yum:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Point!)
    Let us compare the choruses of one of each of their well known songs.

Jungle - Prof. Green:

It's wild round 'ere, you don't wanna spend a night round 'ere.
    When your out here in this jungle, aint nothing nice round 'ere, troubles what you find round 'ere.
    When your out here in this jungle, in this jungle.
    Your always caught in this struggle, in this jungle .
    But you keep asking for trouble, you love? You love when trouble comes your way, your way, your way.

Imagine - John Lennon:

You, you may say
    I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Please crawl back to your hole. Not that I'm a huge John Lennon fan anyway, but it is clear for all of the sane people left in the world to see that some moron who has spent 15 minutes in the spot light has got nothing on JL.

Lennon rhymed "one" with "one". Groundbreaking stuff.
    How does that demonstrate that he has superior musical ability to Professor Green?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    He's Canadian.
    The fact that you think Canada is not part of the North American continent means that you are in no position to criticise my arguments. This is Key Stage 1 Geography stuff.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Amen, fellow Zeppelin fan

Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	led-zeppelin.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	134344  
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How does that demonstrate that he has superior musical ability to Professor Green?
    Wow...I hope you're trolling.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't. The point I am trying to make in my post is that there is a huge difference between the amount of thought and subtlety to their respective lyrics.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only idiots believe that lyrics are about rhyming :facepalm:
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luhar)
    Ermm..no...
    The best bit about your post is that it looks like all 4 Beatles in your signature are looking disapproving just because of the OP
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of what I think of his music, this is a ridiculous claim. Lennon achieved so much over such a long period of time that there's no way you could compare the two until we see Prof Green stick around for another ten years.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Made me laugh

7/10 for effort.
    • 87 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    He's Canadian.

:facepalm:
    PRSOM.

One does not simply insult Mumford & Sons.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if troll or... *squints*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't. The point I am trying to make in my post is that there is a huge difference between the amount of thought and subtlety to their respective lyrics.
    There you go. You are unable to demonstrate that Lennon is a superior musician to Green.

Yes, there is a huge difference between the amount of thought and subtlety to their respective lyrics.

In "Jungle", Green is referring to the hardship involved in growing up in a poor, deprived community. Real problems affecting real people, drawing the attention of listeners to their plight.

In "Imagine", Lennon is spouting some idealistic BS about world peace. Does he refer to any specific conflicts, drawing the attention to the plight of those iinvolved? No.
    • 51 followers

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you think Canada is not part of the North American continent means that you are in no position to criticise my arguments. This is Key Stage 1 Geography stuff.
    I never said it wasn't, I was contesting how you were saying he did well in the United States because he was a "home grown artist", when he isn't. Canada is part of North America, but it is not part of the united states. This is also key stage one geography stuff.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why anyone has to try and become the 'new John Lennon'. He's dead and gone, there's no filling the void.

I may not appreciate Professor Green's music, but no one deserves to be put on such a pedestal so early on in their career. Besides, if you have to compare the two, you will see they are completely different in every way.

So no, he is not this generation's answer to John Lennon. Nor will anyone ever be. Not because John Lennon is the pinnacle of musical greatness but because THERE'S NO POINT TRYING TO REPLACE HIM. Let's just concentrate on appreciating music. Please?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 1, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.