Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Professor Green this generation's answer to John Lennon?

Announcements Posted on
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dear lord,

April comes after March, not before.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    First thing's first - Lennon was with the beatles, one of the (if not the) most successful group(s) of all time, and had major fans all around the world even 30+ years after he died. The Beatles were an amazing rock group of their time and are still timeless classics today. Professor Green, on the other hand, is good, but he's only ever really had success in the UK/Ireland and maybe Germany and Australia. He's not been around for that long, and seeing as he raps the two aren't even comparable so no he is not this generation's answer to John Lennon

Secondly, there will NEVER be another John Lennon. Just like with Whitney, Elvis and Michael Jackson, there will be those who are very good, but won't be anywhere near as successful. In terms of UK music, I think the closest person to John Lennon musically might be Adele. Like Lennon she sings and writes her own songs, a lot of which have bought her global recognition and success. However, nobody will TRULY replace the legend that is John Lennon.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vedderfan94)
    Definitely a troll. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Well done. I can't believe it's taken until the bottom of Page 3 for someone to work this out :rofl:

The number of people on here who took my OP seriously is just staggering :rolleyes:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    In terms of UK music, I think the closest person to John Lennon musically might be Adele.
    Meh she's hugely overrated. Oh and she has had someone help her write most songs she's recorded lmao
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    First thing's first - Lennon was with the beatles, one of the (if not the) most successful group(s) of all time, and had major fans all around the world even 30+ years after he died. The Beatles were an amazing rock group of their time and are still timeless classics today. Professor Green, on the other hand, is good, but he's only ever really had success in the UK/Ireland and maybe Germany and Australia. He's not been around for that long, and seeing as he raps the two aren't even comparable so no he is not this generation's answer to John Lennon

Secondly, there will NEVER be another John Lennon. Just like with Whitney, Elvis and Michael Jackson, there will be those who are very good, but won't be anywhere near as successful. In terms of UK music, I think the closest person to John Lennon musically might be Adele. Like Lennon she sings and writes her own songs, a lot of which have bought her global recognition and success. However, nobody will TRULY replace the legend that is John Lennon.
    Fair point. I won't argue with that, you seem to be one of the few people on this thread that can actually articulate an argument.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by from rush hour with love)
    Apparently, Professor Green is now getting played on radio in America, always the sign of a very gifted artist.

Am I right in saying that he could be considered John Lennon's successor?
    :lolwut:, no you're not right
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Canada is part of the North American continent.
    There's a difference between nationality and geography. Just because he was born in the North American continent doesn't mean his nationality is North American. He is Canadian. Likewise, just because I was born in England which is in the Euopean continent doesn't mean that I consider myself French or German etc. He has a canadian passport, he is Canadian, not American.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    Who?
    He is a successful artist with three top 10 hits in the UK.
    You were probably too busy drooling over the tuneless ramblings of Mumford & Sons to notice Green's achievements.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    There's a difference between nationality and geography. Just because he was born in the North American continent doesn't mean his nationality is North American. He is Canadian. Likewise, just because I was born in England which is in the Euopean continent doesn't mean that I consider myself French or German etc. He has a canadian passport, he is Canadian, not American.
    I never said his nationality was North American. Like you said, North American is not a nationality, it is a continental identity that applies to those from the US & Canada.

I never said that being English makes you French or German, as these are all separate countries. All people from these countries are European however.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bieber is North American, so of course he is going to get played in the US as he is a homegrown artist.

Just like how over here the radio stations force rubbish like Mumford & Sons upon us.
    Dunno about you, but I've never heard Mumford & Sons played on Planet Rock before
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    He is a successful artist with three top 10 hits in the UK.
    You were probably too busy drooling over the tuneless ramblings of Mumford & Sons to notice Green's achievements.
    Who?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Man I love the beatles! Especially John. <3 Not Yoko though, go away Yoko.

No. You are not right, hahaha.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bloody well hope not
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, but in terms of musical ability I don't see much difference between Lennon and the Prof. If anything, the Prof is more talented. Listening to his latest album recently reminded me of the first time I heard the White Album.

Although personally I see Chipmunk and Example as better prospects, I can't wait until America gets to hear their talents.
    Professor Green, Chipmunk and Example? REALLY? REALLY?
    :facepalm2:
    All three are absolutely terrible!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Prof green?
    I thought that was a euphemism for marijuana.

Seriously, who the **** is Professor green?
    Im so out of touch with my age group
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    Who?
    If you haven't heard of either Professor Green or Mumford & Sons, you know nothing about music and shouldn't be in this forum.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't heard of either Professor Green or Mumford & Sons, you know nothing about music and shouldn't be in this forum.
    Or alternatively they've been lucky enough to avoid most of the crap pumped out and labelled music nowadays.
    Both of them contain about the same musical talent as a dogs fart.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    Or alternatively they've been lucky enough to avoid most of the crap pumped out and labelled music nowadays.
    Both of them contain about the same musical talent as a dogs fart.
    This.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 1, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.