Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OMG OMG put it in an ISA!!!!!?!!

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry guys, but why are people SO IN LOVE with ISAs....??

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you put in £5200 you'll have about 5450 after a WHOLE YEAR!!!

Why are you excited over 68pence a day.

Why not invest your money in shares? Or actually do some business?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd like £250 for not doing anything for a year...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    you can loose in shares too. The look on your face when you loose 5k in one night?!

People want to sleep at night knowing their moneys safe.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shares and business are risky - particularly for those who don't know a lot about the market.

Some ISAs you can withdraw the money whenever you want, hence, easier access if it's needed in an emergency.

The interest may not be huge, but I'd rather have £250 extra a year than not have it.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    An ISA is a wrapper, not an investment. You can and REALLY SHOULD invest in shares through an ISA. If you invest in shares through an ISA, its the same as buying shares outside an ISA except you don't pay tax.

When people talk about ISA bank accounts, this is better for most people because most people don't have the time or inclination to research and understand the markets and don't want to risk losing their capital.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well that's the whole reason for the low interest rates - to make people take their money out and spend it in the economy.

But as far as I know you can have however much you want in an ISA. If you put away £5200 a year, after several years you would be earning a fair amount of interest. I still don't think it's worth it, but the thing is you have to build it up over time.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmagpie)
    Shares and business are risky - particularly for those who don't know a lot about the market.

Some ISAs you can withdraw the money whenever you want, hence, easier access if it's needed in an emergency.

The interest may not be huge, but I'd rather have £250 extra a year than not have it.
    £250, definitely no-one who likes money on this site!

You could wholesale pretty much any product and make £250 in a month if you really wanted.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There is a thing called risk...

Also, time and effort.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can have a stock/shares ISA as well. The current ISA limit is £10680 which can be all stocks/shares or half cash and the rest stocks.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    Well that's the whole reason for the low interest rates - to make people take their money out and spend it in the economy.

But as far as I know you can have however much you want in an ISA. If you put away £5200 a year, after several years you would be earning a fair amount of interest. I still don't think it's worth it, but the thing is you have to build it up over time.
    Also you are right, if you keep adding to your ISA and never remove it, it can generate reasonable interest or dividends (if its made up of stocks and shares) which are completely tax free. If you were to say suddenly make £100,000 on some lucky shares that were brought within your ISA that whole amount would belong to you and you would not have to pay any tax, regardless of the fact its over the yearly ISA allowence. Its also not susceptible to capital gains tax so all in all I dont see why you WOULDNT want one!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    £250, definitely no-one who likes money on this site!

You could wholesale pretty much any product and make £250 in a month if you really wanted.
    I could. And if I chose to do that, I'd put the money I earned in an ISA to make an extra £250 for doing absolutely nothing!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read this thread title as... I put my penis in I'm So Academic. *Cough* Awkward moving on.

Because everyone seems to God damn lazy to do any research and just assume that an ISA is the best thing possible. Some BP shares would be a safe bet in terms of price and pay healthy (The best) dividends for any U.K. company. I do have my money in BP before someone says: "Herp Derp why is your money in an ISA then!"
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As bill said, you can quite easily lose the whole amount as well. Most people don't want to risk anything like that...
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read the thread title as "OMG OMG put it in ISA!!!!!?!!" and thought "She's only 14, you can go to jail for that."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because shares and business ventures are high risk and take up time. ISA's are virtually risk free and take up no time.

Most peoples savings are only in the bank because it's safer than a mattress.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Phelps)
    I read this thread title as... I put my penis in I'm So Academic. *Cough* Awkward moving on.

Because everyone seems to God damn lazy to do any research and just assume that an ISA is the best thing possible. Some BP shares would be a safe bet in terms of price and pay healthy (The best) dividends for any U.K. company. I do have my money in BP before someone says: "Herp Derp why is your money in an ISA then!"
    whilst BP is certainly a good share. It does not have the best dividend for any U.K. company (Glaxo, RDS A, BAE, Scotish and Southern, Astra Zeneca, Man Group, National Grid, Vodaphone), have all better dividend yields at the moment.
    (Those are just some from the top of my head- there might be more).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murray29)
    whilst BP is certainly a good share. It does not have the best dividend for any U.K. company (Glaxo, RDS A, BAE, Scotish and Southern, Astra Zeneca, Man Group, National Grid, Vodaphone), have all better dividend yields at the moment.
    (Those are just some from the top of my head- there might be more).
    Do they really? *Pulls a face of concern that I didn't know that.* The price is still going up so I can hang on for that.

ISAs are safe, easy and common knowledge to people so they just put it in there. The only issue I have is when people have £20 and they put it in their ISA so they get more money. I'm like it's £20 how much interest are you really going to get!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Phelps)
    Do they really? *Pulls a face of concern that I didn't know that.* The price is still going up so I can hang on for that.

ISAs are safe, easy and common knowledge to people so they just put it in there. The only issue I have is when people have £20 and they put it in their ISA so they get more money. I'm like it's £20 how much interest are you really going to get!
    Well if they're adding bit by bit, and the options are a standard savings account or an ISA, it makes sense to use the ISA and not the savings account.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just risky! Told my dad though, after the BP oil mess, to invest all his spare scrilla in shares in BP when it went right down. Silly man didn't listen!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitt1988)
    Just risky! Told my dad though, after the BP oil mess, to invest all his spare scrilla in shares in BP when it went right down. Silly man didn't listen!
    Still a decent time to invest in them now to be honest, they're on a decent upwards trend! And they just increased the dividend level per share, so that's bound to help the rise.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 8, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.