Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

integral question - unsure of extra term

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello again,

\int \frac {1}{(s^2 - 0.01)^\frac{1}{2}} ds = ln (s^2 - 0.01+s)^\frac{1}{2} +C

I can't find the rule for this one, not sure why there is an extra s appearing in there. Thanks so much for the help, it is appreciated!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hullo, I'm not sure what you mean, the 'extra' s is there because that's the integral, well aside the constant. Do you mean how do you do the integral? Well one way is a trig substitution as is usually the case when we have square roots and square floating about.

Edit: I'm a fool, Ben-Smith is right, that's not the integral, nearly is though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mh1985)
    Hello again,

\int \frac {1}{s^2 - 0.01}^\frac{1}{2} \ds = ln (s^2 - 0.01+s)^\frac{1}{2}

I can't find the rule for this one, not sure why there is an extra s appearing in there. Thanks so much for the help, it is appreciated!
    That's simply not right, just differentiate it to see.
    Also you haven't put the ds in or the +C.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello again,

\int \frac {1}{(s^2 - 0.01)^\frac{1}{2}} ds = ln (s^2 - 0.01+s)^\frac{1}{2} +C

(Original post by ben-smith)
    That's simply not right, just differentiate it to see.
    Also you haven't put the ds in or the +C.

OK sorry about that, edited the OP.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK sorry about that, edited the OP.
    Are you familiar with hyperbolic functions?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    Are you familiar with hyperbolic functions?
    not quite 100% but I've heard of them
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've got the 1/2 in the wrong place. It should be:

\int \frac {1}{(s^2 - 0.01)^\frac{1}{2}} ds = ln ((s^2 - 0.01)^\frac{1}{2} +s) + C

You can see that this is right by taking the derivative. The derivative of ln ((s^2 - 0.01)^\frac{1}{2}) + C = \frac{s}{s^2-0.01} (it's a chain rule party). The derivative of ln ((s^2 - 0.01)^\frac{1}{2} + s) + C, on the other hand, is \frac{1}{(s^2-0.01)^\frac{1}{2}}.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamnoether)
    You've got the 1/2 in the wrong place. It should be:

\int \frac {1}{(s^2 - 0.01)^\frac{1}{2}} ds = ln ((s^2 - 0.01)^\frac{1}{2} +s) + C

You can see that this is right by taking the derivative. The derivative of ln ((s^2 - 0.01)^\frac{1}{2}) + C = \frac{s}{s^2-0.01} (it's a chain rule party). The derivative of ln ((s^2 - 0.01)^\frac{1}{2} + s) + C, on the other hand, is \frac{1}{(s^2-0.01)^\frac{1}{2}}.
    where does the other s come from? I doubt I would have got that without knowing the answer already. thanks for the reply btw.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You need to make the substitution that s = 0.1sec(u). This probably seems pulled out of thin air , but comes from the fact that you have the square root of some number squared minus a constant, all inside a square root. Because sec^2(u) - 1 = tan^2(u), s^2- 0.01 would be 0.01sec^2(u) - 0.01 = 0.01(sec^2(u)-1) = 0.01tan^2(u).

(0.01tan^2(u))^\frac{1}{2} = 0.1tan(u).

We also have ds = 0.1sec(u)tan(u), so our overall integral is

\int sec(u)du because the tangents cancel.

Is that enough to get you started? If not, let me know and I can keep going.

Edit: Sorry - that came out slightly brusque upon rereading. It should have said something more like: If not, just let me know and I would be happy to keep going.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 29, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.