The Student Room Group

Is really Cambridge the best university in the Uk?

what are some other GOOD universities? [uk]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends what you're judging them on. If you're going by league tables, then just look at the latest league tables.
Reply 2
Nope, the best UK university is Leeds Met.
Yes it is.
Oxford
Warwick
Durham
UCL
LSE
Imperial College
Bath
Bristol
Nottingham
Reply 4
More helpfully, for sciences, people talk about COWI - Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial.
Most of the Russel Group and 1994 group universities can be considered 'good.'
Reply 5
Oh boy, here we go again.

It really depends on your definition of "good"

Is it to do with prestige, academics etc...
Reply 6
No, Manchester is

Edit: I was only being loyal to the Uni I think I am firming :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I want to become an actuary and study mathematics with actuarial science. which university is best for that? to get the best education?
Original post by urbanskaterdude
Yes it is.
Oxford
Warwick
Durham
UCL
LSE
Imperial College
Bath
Bristol
Nottingham

Oxford
LSE
Imperial
UCL
Durham
Bristol
Bath
Nottingham

OP: See how much it varies or different people?
There are many good unis in the UK. But in my opinion the cream of the crop is (subject dependent)

Oxford
LSE
UCL
ICL
Warwick
Durham
It depends what subject for. For example, Oxford is meant to be better for humanities subjects.

But I'd argue that overall, yes.

Some other good universities are:

Oxford
Imperial
LSE
UCL
Manchester
Warwick
St Andrews
Durham
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
The UK has some of the best universities in the world. I think, in general, they can be put into groups as such (In no particular order in each group)

group 1

Cambridge, Oxford

group 2

LSE, Imperial

group 3

UCL
Edinburgh
Warwick
Nottingham
Bristol
Bath
Durham
St Andrews
Kings
York

group 4

The rest of the Russell group and 1994 group
Original post by FDR
The UK has some of the best universities in the world. I think, in general, they can be put into groups as such (In no particular order in each group)

group 1

Cambridge, Oxford

group 2

LSE, Imperial

group 3

UCL
Edinburgh
Warwick
Nottingham
Bristol
Bath
Durham
St Andrews
Kings
York

group 4

The rest of the Russell group and 1994 group

don't you think that your third group has too many unis? I agree on the whole though, but would go

Tier 1:
Oxford
Cambridge

Tier 2:
LSE
Imperial

Tier 3:
UCL
Warwick
St Andrews
Durham

Tier 4:
Bristol
Bath
Kings
York
Nottingham

Tier:5
The other russell groups/94
Reply 13
Not for Marine sciences :wink:
Original post by Irokat
I want to become an actuary and study mathematics with actuarial science. which university is best for that? to get the best education?

Cambridge doesn't offer maths with actuarial science as far as I'm aware. Oxford does a Maths with Stats course that does gain exemptions from the profession.

There are 3 universties that offer full exemptions - Kent, Cass and Heriot Watt. LSE, Southampton and Manchester are also very well respected, as is UEA. A course with a year in industry would be a good choice as well.

Warwick's MORSE course also looks amazing for this, wish I'd done further maths/STEP as I had no chance of being accepted otherwise. Southampton and Cardiff also do a MORSE course.

If you're going for prestige, LSE would be best for a combination of most exemptions. However, I've heard from the field that graduates from that course are actually less well equipped than those from some other universites.
Some people say a pure maths or maths and stats degree would be best, but its really up to the individual.

I've just applied, been accepted and firmed for Actuarial Science started September 2012, and did quite a bit of research last summer.
Reply 15
Original post by CJM13
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
UCL
Durham
Bristol
Bath
Nottingham

OP: See how much it varies or different people?

It does vary :P If I were to rank them from top to bottom, it would be as follows:

Oxford
UCL/Imperial
LSE
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham
Bath
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Tsunami2011
don't you think that your third group has too many unis? I agree on the whole though, but would go

Tier 1:
Oxford
Cambridge

Tier 2:
LSE
Imperial

Tier 3:
UCL
Warwick
St Andrews
Durham

Tier 4:
Bristol
Bath
Kings
York
Nottingham

I don't know, I think maybe you could bump UCL into the second tier from my third tier, but between your 3rd and 4th tiers, their really is not much difference, i.e whereas most people would agree that LSE or Imperial is undoubtedly better than say, York, I'd say that its disputable whether the unis in your 3rd tier are better than your 4th - there are obviously differences, with some being better than others, but in general, they are all very very similar.

I mean, my third group looks big, but really its the rest of the unis who round out the top 15 in the country.
Bolton>>Cambridge
Original post by Tsunami2011

Tier 1:
Oxford
Cambridge

Tier 2:
LSE
Imperial

Tier 3:
UCL
Warwick
St Andrews
Durham

Tier 4:
Bristol
Bath
Kings
York
Nottingham

What are your criteria? The QS World Rankings (much more 'reliable' than a newspaper's rankings) place St. Andrews, Durham, and York below institutions such as Leeds, Nottingham and Birmingham.

If your tier-list is according to TSR prestige then it's pretty accurate, but that's about as far as it goes.
Original post by Existentialistic
What are your criteria? The QS World Rankings (much more 'reliable' than a newspaper's rankings) place St. Andrews, Durham, and York below institutions such as Leeds, Nottingham and Birmingham.

If your tier-list is according to TSR prestige then it's pretty accurate, but that's about as far as it goes.

Nah its based on my general perception of university and others. Its not really a big deal, but you can ascertain how highly a university is rated by how people react to it. I.e when I tell people where I applied, in order of preference, they get less impressed, the further down the list we go. Also basing it on where top firms recruit from which isn't entirely relevant.

Wasnt LSE around 60 something? doesn't seem infaliable to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending